Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jun-15 14:56:47
Print Post

Seriously who wants this contraption strapped to there head

[link to this post]

Quite frankly Epic Fail

Its going to appeal to the younger generation of gamers around 18/25 with jobs because this contraption is not coming cheap i guarantee .

I can not stress strong enough at how this VR is going to do in the gaming market place,i really see this dying within 18 months and I'm serious when i say it has absolutely no appeal to me whatsoever and even if it was offered to me for free i would not be slightly interested or curious.

May be its my older age who hasn't got 20/20 vision but i really don't see this taking of and i have over stated it many times over the past few months but it certainly worries me.

Its like a upgrade of Kinnect and Playstation move,and we both know what people think about both those devices and the extreme lack of support .
Standard User Jaxx281
(experienced) Tue 23-Jun-15 16:12:29
Print Post

Re: Seriously who wants this contraption strapped to there h

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

I'm not too sure about VR either, I'm on the fence at the moment. I watched a cool video the other day of someone playing Minecraft @ E3 on one, they were playing it on a normal table and it looked incredible how you could drag the world around and add bits to it etc. Will it look that good in the real world? I doubt it haha.

It's like the adverts for the Kinect when it first came out, they had a couple sitting on a sofa browsing through films, ordering a pizza, playing games all without a care in the world. In reality I find the Kinect fairly painful to work with and it certainly wasn't the "Minority Report" experience that I was expecting.

Depending on what comes out for VR I may get one when they are released, or I may leave it 6 to 12 months to see if there are any problems and if they manage to refine the technology. I'm not massively into Minecraft, but I did like the look of the Shark Diving game they displayed.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jun-15 16:25:21
Print Post

[re: Jaxx281] [link to this post]

Well its horses for courses but I'm telling you now there is no way i will be buying one wink not even Microsofts offering and anybody else who comes to market with a similar product.

I have all but given up on Nintendo and I'm in 2 minds to disconnect the Wii U and give it to some teeny Bopper because thats about its appeal if you ask me.

All we need now next year at E3 2016 is for Nintendo new console codenamed NX to go down the motion controls route yet again or VR.

Then for .Timey its time to take up Crown Green Bowls crazy.

Anyway Batman this evening..........POW ! WHAM! BAM!

Trade it tomorrow morning tongue then back to Gears wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User IranianGiraffe
(committed) Tue 23-Jun-15 17:35:52
Print Post

I'm not really into the VR stuff myself, I have had a little go with an Oculus Rift and it's not bad but I could see it becoming pretty boring quite quickly, Also after a while I began to feel a little queasy.

The Hololens for me has a lot more going for it, More for stuff over than games really, Although the showing of the Halo waypoints walkthrough and the Minecraft demo was very impressive from a technical point of view.

I like the idea of basically putting a big screen on a wall so no need for a TV etc, Although apparently the field of view is rather limited at the moment.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jun-15 18:26:59
Print Post

[re: IranianGiraffe] [link to this post]

Wish someone would try and convince me that VR was the way to go as I'm just not getting it .

Why don't they just concentrate there energy on producing really High end Gaming machines that are in time if needed easy to upgrade and swap components like Ram and Graphic Cards.

Im not talking to the extreme of PC architecture here just simple basics,or just build a super console in the first place.

Or bring 3 versions of a new console to market,standard,medium and Ultra or something with different prices and components .

I haven't got a problem paying a Grand for a really super powerful top of the range gaming console as long as it has impressive specifications .

Besides I'm now what i call a lazy gamer,lying back on the settee with a dual shock 4 or Xbox One pad in my hand and thats about as energy zapping it gets.

And as i mentioned with Virtual Reality in a previous post,motion sickness,headaches are only the start of this,and the Lawsuits will follow.

but I'm Guessing both Sony and Microsoft both know this and there will be so many disclaimers associated with this product they will probably try and cover every conceivable angle so they are not bought to task regarding problems with the units and medical conditions that are obviously in some cases going to occur.
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(committed) Tue 23-Jun-15 19:38:02
Print Post

I don't think Hololens will have as MANY issues as the others as Hololens uses real life and virtual images so you are never fully immursed in the game/screen where as you are on all the others, So there should be far less chance of motion sickness as your brain isn't really ever fully tricked, (People who have used both and have had weird queazy moments on the VR headsets were fine on the hololens). That's not to say some people won't have issues as they will (I for instance feel weird for the first 5-10 mins of watching 3d if I've not seen a 3d film in a while after that i have no issues and it feels natural), as the 'holograms' will be in 3d as well some will deffo have issues.

I don't think Hololens is really for games though and I guess neither do M$ really or the Oculus Rift wouldn't of been shown on the XB1 as well.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jun-15 20:01:14
Print Post

I have a 4k and 3D tv,there is no 4K transmissions and i literally hate wearing glasses and watching anything in 3D.......

Just another Gimmick,when they release a 3D tv that does not require the use of glasses then that might be the time to get excited wink
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jun-15 20:08:29
Print Post

I for instance feel weird for the first 5-10 mins
This ^ ^ ^

That said, aren't we confusing the two technologies here? Project Moroheus for example, isn't 3D and is a single screen. Not at all like wearing 3D glasses. The sickness induced is normally because the players are standing up and the eyes are perceiving something completely different to the balance sensing mechanism within (I think?) the ear.

I saw somebody on a chat show getting really ill with a rollercoster replicated through a VR headset. If the body's other senses don't follow the vision, puke time. All of your senses other than vision, know you are not moving. But sat down in the drivers seat of a F1 car or an Apache attack helicopter? I think that could really work.

The point of VR is not 3D, but the visually isolated interaction with the imposed environment. Head/hand tracking etc.
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jun-15 20:14:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by time2die:
I have a 4k and 3D tv,there is no 4K transmissions and i literally hate wearing glasses and watching anything in 3D.......

Just another Gimmick,when they release a 3D tv that does not require the use of glasses then that might be the time to get excited wink
3D tv's bring the picture into the room. VR headsets put you into the picture.
Standard User astateoftrance
(experienced) Tue 23-Jun-15 22:02:45
Print Post

As you know from the other thread it's not something that appeals to me and I don't see it taking off either. It's the sort of thing that would be cool to have a go on or for occasional use.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to