Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Nov-15 07:46:57
Print Post

VR……Really

[link to this post]

Look at that contraption strapped to your head.

How any mainstream gamer can see this working beggars belief,kits expected to retail at £399 which is a killer no matter how effective it is.

Can you seriously think that with this VR strapped to your head and the fact that In most videos you have to stand up that this is the future of Gaming.
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Nov-15 09:05:31
Print Post

Re: VR……Really

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by time2die:
Look at that contraption strapped to your head.
Note an issue for driving games and you wouldn't need the headphones either.
How any mainstream gamer can see this working beggars belief
I don't agree mate. Look how well the Wii did? You have to make a distinction between gaming and "experiences". Everybody's nan and their dog were rolling with the Wii at Christmas and family get togethers. I can imagine exactly what you've just seen on that video actually getting more casuals interested in that type of "fun" interaction.
kits expected to retail at £399 which is a killer no matter how effective it is.
That's the sticking point for me. I can definitely see a huge number of people being prepared to pay it though mate. I'll get on board when the price drops to £250 ish. smile

Can you seriously think that with this VR strapped to your head and the fact that In most videos you have to stand up that this is the future of Gaming.
Not "gamer" gamers, but casuals I don't see an issue to be honest. They stood up to bowl or bat with the Wii, so?

My main issue is, can I resist the temptation to upgrade my GPU until this comes out? I can't think of anything even remotely more exciting for me in the game space at the moment. Maybe if you liked driving games, you would envisage and then crave that immersion.

I totally agree with conventional games though. This will work well with sitting down sims (driving and flying) and the experience type games we are seeing being developed. I can imagine it being cumbersome and irritating if you were playing for an hour at a time though, so you're probably right in that respect.
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Nov-15 09:53:57
Print Post

I'd like to make her squeal like that laugh

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
cool

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Nov-15 11:44:20
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

There will be plenty of people willing to pay whatever price it is at launch,and if i was really excited i would be one of them.

I kind of think that my reasons i feel the way i do regarding VR is my age if I'm totally honest,I'm sure if i was around 20/30 i would be super excited for this device.

I also don't have the 20/20 vision that younger people have and that has a impact in the way i think about VR and the fact that on many occasions [not all] i tend to wear distance Glasses [Magoo Vision Fitted] So that also puts me of and i really don't think these devices as aimed at the mature hardened gamers that have been gaming since the 80s.

The Nintendo Wii was a gaming masterstroke at the time mate and i completely agree,stock sold out well in advance and at first you could not get them for love or money,but they were not aimed at the mainstream as families who really didn't care for gaming bought them in there droves for the party impact they provided.

But again with motion controlled gaming and the fact that the Nintendo WII was so underpowered compared to the 360 and playstation 3 it was long before developers eloped in there droves and only First Party Nintendo published titles like Wii Sports,Mario and the rest of the Nintendo fans favourites kept the console afloat .

Then they released the Nintendo Wii U [another stupid name] and look how that has had such poor sales forcing Nintendo to adopt a new strategy and release a new console codenamed NX next year 2016.

I think it will have its fans mate for sure ,and I'm sure it will have some mind blowing games,I'm just saying given my age and the fact i like to completely relax and chill out when playing a game is why VR is not for me.

Like i said,if i was 20 plus I'm sure that i would be writing hundreds of posts about the product and i would almost certainly be that early adopter.

Anyway Fallout 4 is now installing...........See you all next year wink
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Nov-15 11:59:42
Print Post

Still think in the long run it won't take of wink

Watch this space and bow to my wisdom if I'm proved Correct in 12 months time.crazy
Standard User astateoftrance
(experienced) Mon 09-Nov-15 12:12:50
Print Post

I am interested to try it and it might be fun to use occasionally but not for general gaming or for use at hours at a time. Could well appeal to casual gamers but that price is far to high IMO for that market or for me personally if I was going to use it every now and then. It needs to be under £100. £399 for an accessory is a very limited market.

Definitely not interested in standing up gaming very often as I like to sit down and relax, see Nellys point about driving/flight sims, can see that working well but not a fan of the genre apart from some karting games.
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Nov-15 16:39:39
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

Been watching some videos on the tech aspect of Project Morpheus, but the discussion applied equally to all the other VR headsets in development.

What has changed, and what they think will mean it is here to stay this time, is the exponential increase in camera tracking speeds. The main reason you might feel nauseous with VR, is if the tracking doesn't keep up with you. Simply explained by the developer, when you get car sick it is generally because you are in the back with restricted vision. Those same people don't get sick when they themselves are driving. So, not knowing exactly when and at what speed/force the turn will be made, means your brain can lose the context of that movement, causing nausea. This issue has now been eradicated with the Playstation camera (I suspect the same can be said of the other prototypes) talking to the headset one thousand times a second. This effectively removes the delay between turning your head, and seeing the result.

What is interesting though, and relates to what you have mentioned many times, is the immersion being broken with a controller. You are more likely to feel nauseous or dizzy when using one, because it's not natural. The move controllers are better in that respect. For example, you can flail your arms around as you might with a sword, with both hands on the move controller, and that would be exactly what your brain expects to be doing with a sword and how it would automatically hold it. The same if the move controller was placed in one of those gun accessories. Swap to a controller however and you could easily end up feeling like you are playing a game with a silly crash helmet on. Then the immersion is broken, and the nausea can kick in.

So you are right in that respect, normal games really won't work with VR in quite the same way.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Nov-15 17:10:41
Print Post

Im Right .....Full Stop...........All of the Time wink
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Nov-15 17:26:24
Print Post

You're not right in the head.....full stop.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Nov-15 17:27:18
Print Post

smile

I know when I'm not wanted........Tried to Join your Zombie game last night but it was locked down for just 2 players...........Up Yours Nelly crazy

Edited by time2die (Mon 09-Nov-15 17:28:14)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to