Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Nov-15 14:39:11
Print Post

Steam Machines are out.......But its oh so Quiet ?

[link to this post]

As we all know these things are now out and about and i don't see anyone on here that has bothered buying one,not that there isn't more than half a dozen of us posting.

I guess if you have a PC there is little need to go out and purchase a steam machine.

I had pondered with the idea but the release seems to have come and go with hardly a whimper.smile and i doubt very much i will be purchasing one of these.
Standard User astateoftrance
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Nov-15 20:24:44
Print Post

Re: Steam Machines are out.......But its oh so Quiet ?

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

I don't really think there is much of a market for them, if you want a compact gaming system you get a console or build/buy a compact gaming PC with Windows which is still the best OS at the moment for PC gaming. That's what I would do and that's coming from someone who uses Linux as their main OS. Haven't tried their controllers but from the looks of it I think I would rather a XBOX or PS pad.

Do think it's great more games are coming to Linux though and hope it continues. If you were going for one would say get a machine with both windows and steam OS.
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Nov-15 06:57:59
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

I think it will be a slow burner. With time, I can see it getting up a head of steam (see what I did there? cool)

I like the idea of dual booting eventually. I use Steam big picture mode now and then. Even though the DS4 controller is supported by most of the types of games I have played on pc to date, it's stil not seemless. BF4 and Fallout 4 being two high profile examples.

If the majority of games start to become optimised for Steam OS, with full (console) controller support, I wouldn't hesitate in dual booting. It's a wait and see thing for me.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User astateoftrance
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Nov-15 10:53:28
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

laugh

Well I hope they do make a success of it, it can only be a good thing to have a alternative OS for gaming on and hopefully it will make Linux more appealing in general.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 01-Dec-15 16:57:58
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

how viable linux is for gaming in the future will depend on developer takeup of vulkan.

The 2 big hurdles now are not many games will work on linux out of the entire pc catalogue and the huge gulf in performance probably down to lack of driver optimisations.

I am ok with linux gaming been a future success but I think valve releasing these steam machines was a bad idea, and the controller isnt having a good time of it either.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
  Print Thread

Jump to