Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Nov-15 22:59:21
Print Post

Netcode

[link to this post]

I don't want to call it lag, because that leads people off into all sorts of attempts at explaining delays etc. The bottom line is, as once stated in a Digital Foundry article, if it doesn't aftect you, you can't comprehend just what effect it has on the gameplay. Everyone has some sort of "lag" from time to time. But what if you got it 99% of the time? What if everybody thinks they are experiencing it just as badly as you are, that you can somehow adapt your play style to cope with it? Or that perhaps everyone else is just better at playing as a team? Sadly, this is my reality.

You can feel poor prediction far more than any video can help you see it, but this is at least a start. If you care to bother (which some of you obviously won't) you can repeat and analyse each clip and it's replay, and you will notice the slight differences in player position and the number of shots fired. as opposed to the number of shots felt before the kill is awarded. The very first clip blatantly highlights this.

But what is more annoying and something I have complained to team members about repeatedly, is that the desperately bad prediction I experience in games (particularly COD games) plays havoc with the aim assist, to the point that it is almost undetectable. The very last clip in this video, visibly highlights this.

I aim, and the assist automatically locks the gun onto where the netcode has predicted the player to be heading. Except on this occasion, he detours thoroughly unambiguously back to his left, and the rest as they say, is history.

Now based on BLOPS 3's own connection quality information, and on the guys 5 bar display on the scoreboard, he should be no more than 65ms away from me. That figure should not lead to these sort of prediction failings.

The guy in the very first clip won the game 61-3, but I suspect he has complete belief in his own ability. :/
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Nov-15 00:32:12
Print Post

Re: Netcode

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

That engine is really showing its age

It's so old it should be a free game

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
cool
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Nov-15 08:33:44
Print Post

Just trade it and move on Nelly.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Nov-15 08:48:29
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Digital...... frown
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Nov-15 09:01:29
Print Post

Lazy [censored] wink

Just cause 3 digital also,I'm sure thats where your Christmas fun will be and i look forward to seeing some of your creative explosion videos.
  Print Thread

Jump to