Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 04-Jan-16 23:25:51
Print Post

AMD have woken up

[link to this post]

Seems the last 12 months have been immense for AMD.

First fuji
Second Crimson drivers.
Next their next gen is a massive performance per watt boost to give nvidia hot competition.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9886/amd-reveals-polar...

exciting times.

But AMD really need to get these newer tech's out on their budget boards not just flagship.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4

Edited by Chrysalis (Mon 04-Jan-16 23:26:24)

Standard User Skilty
(member) Tue 05-Jan-16 09:40:26
Print Post

Re: AMD have woken up

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
Seems the last 12 months have been immense for AMD.

First fuji
Second Crimson drivers.
Next their next gen is a massive performance per watt boost to give nvidia hot competition.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9886/amd-reveals-polar...

exciting times.

But AMD really need to get these newer tech's out on their budget boards not just flagship.

The tech tends to ripple down over time. I went with the green team (ditched my R9 290 reference with custom cooler for a GTX970) for the last round as I wanted an efficient, quiet high performance card.

Will be interesting to see how Polaris performs against the existing nVidia cards and the next gen cards...

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Jan-16 18:13:19
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

This is definitely exciting times!!

Nelly and myself have been saying for a little while that it finally looks like Nvidia have some competition!!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jan-16 18:52:58
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

My 390X sits between 60-70°C at 1080/60fps, with absolutely nothing left to turn up on Shadow of Mordor. That's in a micro ATX case with very little room left after upgrading the PSU, and of course the fitting of the larger GPU itself. It's not silent, but you can hardly notice the fans whilst playing.

If I turn off frame rate targeting, it races to 120 FPS average, but then admittedly starts puffing loudly, though still not enough to over power the game experience itself. If I wanted to run at 1440p for example (where the 390X starts to show it's credentials) I would definitely need a larger case!

But that wasn't the remit for my build originally. If space wasn't at a premium, I'd have bought a much bigger Fractal case with a side window, and added a lot more cooling. Even if I wasn't playing on a TV with a 60Hz refresh rate, I would still target 60fps, as it's easily smooth enough and reducing heat, noise and power consumption appeals to me more than 100+ frame rates.

But at full bore, there is no doubt the G1 Gaming is a hot card for a small case!!
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jan-16 19:51:45
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

My Nokia 3210 has a better spec crazy .

So for those in the know regarding PC gaming rigs here is a question..?

Find me a powerhouse rig that you would be proud of at a half decent price and doesn't need upgrading 1 month later....

No explain the build clearly and constructively telling me why this is a ultimate gaming PC for the money....

Because you never know Timey may well invest........Ive given up with Steam Machines already even though they have only just been released to the public,not enough information for my liking and the specifications on a lot of the middle of the range steam machines look dated already.

Edited by time2die (Tue 05-Jan-16 19:55:36)

Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jan-16 23:29:48
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Find me a powerhouse rig that you would be proud of at a half decent price and doesn't need upgrading 1 month later....

Build yourself....£1000-1100

Built for you....£1350-1450

That would get you an i5 4690k and an R9 390X or a GTX980, with a reasonable quality steel case and decent motherboard, cpu water cooler etc. You could obviously go cheaper, but you personally would probably end up going a lot higher!

But bearing in mind the law of diminishing returns me old Brum chum, I would be (am) more than happy with that. smile
Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Jan-16 07:54:42
Print Post

Give us a rough ball park figure that you wouldn't mind spending mate!
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jan-16 10:00:39
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Im not building myself thats for sure,if i did it would blow up and leak liquid all over the place and i just don't have the patience or interest to even try.

Jorkila lets say about £2000..........Thats the Graphic Card By the way crazy
Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Jan-16 10:49:45
Print Post

Now I'm no expert and I would consider some of these parts overkill but I know you like to have the best so if I was in your position I would go for something along the lines of this

From the base spec I've changed the gpu to the evga branded one (purely because thats the same make as my 970) and upgraded the ram to 3200Mhz ddr4 along with adding the OS

You'll also need a monitor as well as a keyboard/mouse and adapter for you Xbox One controller because it's better than the DS4 tongue

From putting these parts together on pcpartpicker it looks like Novatech are charging you between £200-£300 to put it all together.

Edited by jorkila (Wed 06-Jan-16 11:02:09)

Standard User Skilty
(member) Wed 06-Jan-16 11:50:47
Print Post

I would go for something like this from the Scan 3XS range, overclocked i7-6700K, overclocked GTX980Ti. Can handle pretty much anything you can throw at it.

M.2 boot primary drive with a second 500GB SSD

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to