Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Feb-16 18:00:38
Print Post

VR………Say No More

[link to this post]

Dead On arrival
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Feb-16 19:59:50
Print Post

Re: VR………Say No More

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

PlayStation VR is tied to an already-expensive piece of hardware that is widespread but not yet commonplace
I should have stopped reading right there, but I carried on foolishly hoping for something more factual.
you can’t accurately show people via TV or print advertising...
What like how good your multiple pairs of headphones sounded before you got them home? Or how well that all singing and dancing hoover really sucks, when not attached to the wrist of a size six, leggy blonde "housewife"?

...so there’s only one way. Get them to experience it. Of course, that means going out on the road and putting the product in front of potential customers, which is inefficient – after all, you can only be in one place.
Poppycock. I've read so many positive reviews from those who have experienced it, why should I expect the negatives to outweigh them? As the saying goes, you can't please all of the people, all of the time. Doesn't mean it won't succeed commercially.
People will get sick

As much as manufacturers claim that VR technology isn’t to blame for motion sickness problems and that software design is now solely to blame, the simple fact is that some people are going to be put off VR simply because it makes them physically uncomfortable. If that hurdle can’t be overcome, those potential buyers will never take the plunge.
I feel nauseous just reading this tripe. Doesn't mean I'll stop using the internet.
It’s only a matter of time before a “hilarious” VR jump scare then causes a heart attack.
Exactly why horror movies will never be popular. Oh wait a minute...
Here’s the kicker: most people probably just don’t care
Probably? Seriously? This whole article is just a subjective ramble.

VR might fail gaming wise for one reason only. Price. But there are so many other concepts already being developed for commercial and industrial use, that new iterations will come quickly and economically; then there will be no looking back.

The first comment below the article might apply to some here:
As time goes by, and you are revealed for being dead wrong in your "Predictions," I hope you'll enjoy eating crow, and that everyone will remind you on a regular basis how wrong you were. But I also hope you'll eventually be glad you were wrong too.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Feb-16 20:33:35
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Watch This Space.........I predict Epic Failure within 12 Months.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Feb-16 21:00:58
Print Post

Watch this space. The Alton Towers ride sounds awesome, but it's not for Tena men! tongue

Then head over to the VR Times home page to check tonnes of articles as to what and where VR is finding real world applications.
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Feb-16 00:55:41
Print Post

Remember Better Than Life (Red Dwarf)

Plot

The post pod arrives 3 million years late, which, as Holly observes, is about average for second class mail.[3] Among the usual bills and junk mail is the "Better Than Life" total immersion video game. Rimmer receives a large tax bill from Outland Revenue, along with a letter from his mother informing him that his father is dead.[4] Although he knew his father (and in fact, everyone he knew on Earth) is already long dead, seeing the news in writing upsets him, mentioning that he looked up to the man. However, he stated that he loathed him, due to his strict requirements for his kids to get into the space corps to make up for his failure to get on the corps. (Rimmer wound up emancipating himself at age 14.)

To cheer him up, Lister and the Cat invite Rimmer to play "Better Than Life", where everyone's deepest desires come true. Everything is going well; the Cat has got himself two girlfriends, Marilyn Monroe and a mermaid (top half fish, bottom half woman). Lister is rich enough to eat caviar-covered vindaloo and play golf. Rimmer, who has a physical form in the game, leads an admiral's life with drinks and parties, while Lister enjoys golfing around the lavish golf courses.[5] Rimmer meets his dad, whom says that he is a "total smeghead". Rimmer is very puzzled by this as he always wished for his father's respect, but the Cat chimes in and says that it is part of his imagination. In spite of this knowledge, the event brings out Rimmer's feelings of inadequacy, and his neurotic mind, subconsciously unable to accept nice things are happening to him, rebels against him, and he quickly becomes unable to control his negative imagination.

He soon ends up back as a hologram, with a wife (Yvonne McGruder, who earlier in the game, had a liaison with him), seven kids (said liaison resulted in pregnancy), a mortgage and an unsympathetic Outland Revenue Collector (who demands ₤18,000 and threatens to break his legs and thumbs). This continues until the others find themselves caught up in his nightmare, buried up to their necks in sand, smeared with jam and about to be eaten by ants. The game ends, which comes as a great relief to everyone. Ironically, as they are calling Rimmer out for his "messed up brain", Rimmer gets a letter informing him that he passed the astro-navigation examination and will be promoted, causing Rimmer to believe his life is turning around. When they get back to their quarters, the tax collector emerges from a locker, causing the crew to realise that the game is not over. He then proceeds to break Rimmer's thumbs

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
cool

Edited by Lt_Swan (Tue 02-Feb-16 00:58:13)

Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Feb-16 06:43:42
Print Post

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

Lol! I remember Cat's inverted mermaid girlfriend!
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Feb-16 06:51:52
Print Post

A well written and thought provoking article here.
But casting fears aside, this new medium is simply fascinating. One reason the world is fascinated with millennials is that they never knew a world without the Internet. Post-millennials, like my son, will never know life without virtual reality. Because they can live in someone else’s virtual shoes, will they be more empathetic? Forget Job Simulator — will playing the victim in a bully simulator become mandatory for schoolchildren? Will gut-wrenching, first-person films like Chris Milk’s The Displaced help them understand the world? Will they stop watching and reading the news in favor of experiencing it?
  Print Thread

Jump to