Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User silastic
(newbie) Sat 20-Feb-16 20:27:39
Print Post

Random high lag and packet loss

[link to this post]

Hi,
I've already posted on the Sky forum but I don't think that's the right place so trying again.

I've been with Sky fiber (40mbps unlimited) for about two years. I'm an occasional CS:GO player and over the last 6 months I've noticed some really weird behaviour. Sometimes when I play I experience high packet loss and high lag. It happened again today so I've decided to post to get some thoughts.

I'm pretty sure it's a problem with my fiber connection and not anything else for several reasons.

- I'm always connected directly to the router with an ethernet cable
- I've had my router replaced
- My think broadband monitor graph shows the issue - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/51c4e0e4b16...

The problem is this only 'appears' when I start playing CS:GO but it doesn't happen every time and sometimes it happens half way through a game and then stops by the end of the game. Whilst it's happening though the game is unplayable.

When the issue happens I ping the sky.com url from the terminal and results like this are common:

--- e7441.g.akamaiedge.net ping statistics ---
248 packets transmitted, 243 packets received, 2.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 16.033/466.076/4582.522/755.561 ms

One final thing to note, last time it happened I couldn't get a traceroute to any domain to complete it would just print *s for most of the 64 hops.

Has anyone else seen something like this before or have any ideas on how to debug it further as although the Sky support team are based in the UK they don't seem overly technical.
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Feb-16 22:04:19
Print Post

Re: Random high lag and packet loss

[re: silastic] [link to this post]

Hi

Have you tried the Think Broadband speed test? Other than the speed and latency, it will give you an alphabetic rating for buffer bloat. This can be caused by your router or by your ISP's. I have been suffering from it recently, but haven't had time to check QOS settings on my router.

Worth asking Sky support about it if it shows up on your test too. If they know the name of the issue, you are more likely to get elevated to somebody that might understand the problems it can cause.
  Print Thread

Jump to