Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 15-Mar-16 11:08:54
Print Post

safe way to fully power down ps4 without controller

[link to this post]

is there one?

Probably about 3-4 times now when I bring my ps4 out of rest mode the controller doesnt work, also twice wifi got stuck. I could only resolve by pulling out the power cable for a full restart. But this can corrupt data on the hdd so is there any way to do a safe full shutdown when controller isnt working?

Really hope they fix these issues as its getting old.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Mar-16 15:01:37
Print Post

Re: safe way to fully power down ps4 without controller

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

You lost me matey wink
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Mar-16 06:06:31
Print Post

Doesn't work even if you connect the USB cable?

There is a "touch" power switch on the front of the ps4. Have you tried pressing it, or holding it for a second or two? It's adjacent to the eject button.

As you say, pulling the power cable out of the back is not a good idea. Switching it off at the wall socket would be safest if all else fails, as it will have a switch separation gap for the load that prevents arcing.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 16-Mar-16 08:43:35
Print Post

Yes, hold the power button down on the console for some 10-20 seconds until it beeps.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 16-Mar-16 14:25:17
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

yep usb cable makes no difference.

the touch button puts it to rest mode.

Currently I am manually turning it fully off now when finishing gaming (safely via controller). As I dont want to damage my data by pulling the pwoer cable to fix.

--edit--

sorry I think I misunderstood, so pressing it does rest mode, but holding it will do a full power off?

--edit--

thanks guys, tested it and works perfect so will start using rest mode again now I know a way out of the problem.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 16-Mar-16 14:45:32)

Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Mar-16 20:07:40
Print Post

Still a bit odd that rest mode seems to be giving you grief. Have you found anybody else on the web mentioning a similar issue? I had an issue or two when rest mode was first introduced to the firmware, but not since and none involving the controller.

Not a hardware issue hopefully. frown
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 16-Mar-16 20:39:52
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

I found others but either they dont follow up, or they say it got fixed by a new controller or something.

If you remember before I had to do a full reset on the system when the controller borked completely, so if anything is faulty it could be the controller. But sony wont send me another without me sending this one back first which would mean a period of time I cannot use the console.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Mar-16 21:18:56
Print Post

Both my controllers are playing up, so that doesn't surprise me. Certainly not as robust as the DS3.
  Print Thread

Jump to