Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Mar-16 18:45:07
Print Post

Playstation 4.5 or Playstation 4K...

[link to this post]

Better be at least twice as powerful for me to buy it.
Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-Mar-16 19:16:27
Print Post

Re: Playstation 4.5 or Playstation 4K...

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

It's bonkers if there is any truth behind it all!
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Mar-16 19:20:56
Print Post

[re: jorkila] [link to this post]

Its reality matey and its going to happen by the end of this year,especially of the produce 4K games wink.

There has been a lot of talk about this in the last few weeks but apparently Sony have confirmed its real.

I don't like the fact we are only 2.5 years in from the Playstation 4,but given the option of a new more powerful Playstation 4.5 or 4K or whatever you want to call it and VR then for me i know what I'm buying.

And if i was to sound a little bit sceptical,i would say this is another clever marketing policy from Sony given that the Virtual Reality stuff is out this year,next we will here that to get the best out of VR you will need to upgrade to the 4.5 console.

Edited by time2die (Sat 26-Mar-16 19:23:51)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 26-Mar-16 19:54:18
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

they might fail like sega did when sega released a new console too quickly and their fanbase boycotted them.

Personally I think this is disgusting, at the very least there should be some kind of trade in rebate for PS4 owners. Also is some new games been programmed to be optimal for the new ps 4.5 meaning probably performance glitches on the ps4.

So the questions I have are.

1 - is this due to lazy developers simply refusing to optimise their game meaning sony is giving them the easy option out of more powerful hardware to run slow code?
2 - 4k resolution people are reporting it wont be native but just upscaling, however if somehow native 4k works on a 400gbp console then it highlights how messed up directx11 and dx9 have been. All these complaints about shoddy pc ports may have all simply been down to a [censored] DX api.

I just cannot see this hitting the sales the PS4 had, as its way too soon after the PS4.

Note I agree with the post nellie put in my ps 4.5 thread.

http://vgrhq.com/why-ps4k-might-end-my-console-playi...

Timey your link in first post doesnt work mate. Needs login for the site.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4

Edited by Chrysalis (Sat 26-Mar-16 19:57:54)

Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-Mar-16 23:30:53
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

You'd think they'd nail 1080p before concerning themselves with 4k!!
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 27-Mar-16 00:03:55
Print Post

and ensure steady framerates but seems thats not important.

For me things like draw distances, steady framerates, visual levels of detail are more important than pixel count and peak framerate.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Mar-16 09:06:02
Print Post

I have a feeling, taking from articles across the gaming media, that this is about 4K video rather than gaming.

PS4 can play back 4K video, but I suspect that enhancing 360° video capability and 4K is what they are aiming for. The majority of VR experiences (in my opinion) will be cinema mode type experiences, and the only aspect of VR that an easily "tweaked" PS4 could could go toe to toe with PC on. I doubt there's anything they can do to get even close to 4K gaming.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see a PS5 in 18 months time. If AMD really want to leapfrog NVIDIA, it's not inconceivable to imagine 14/16nm and Polaris being bundled into 20 million consoles from both manufacturers. AMD has been adopted in a very big way in terms of VR by developers, getting a foothold in that space by pushing console specs sooner rather than later, would make an awful lot of sense, if a low enough price point is feasible. As Microsoft have hinted, it's time in their opinion for the console space to adopt a refresh cycle more in line with PC and mobile.

I might be tempted with an upgrade for better 4K and 360° video, but by the time I've waited for a Playstation VR refresh (or price drop) I don't think PS5 would be far enough away [for me] to be able to justify a tweaked model in the meantime.
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Mar-16 09:14:44
Print Post

I haven't played it, but I read somewhere that Star Wars Battlefront nailed a rock solid 60fps on PS4? I wonder if development of the "exclusive" Playstation VR Star Wars title had anything to do with that?

It's certainly difficult to understand developers priorities sometimes. The Division for example looks great on PS4 one minute, but the next you can expect more pop in than your local Co-op...
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Mar-16 09:15:05
Print Post

Here is one that should work.

I know you already know about this and i can not edit the other post,something that needs changing on here crazy
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 27-Mar-16 10:47:41
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

yeah but with a pc, generally only a gpu would be upgraded not the whole unit, I dont think a console userbase will tolerate 2-3 year upgrade cycles at these price points. Plus people often keep gpu's for more than 3 years as well. There is still people using gtx 6xx cards.

In the big tv console arena nvidia doesnt exist, both xbox and sony use AMD, they have that tied up (sorry I think steam machines are not relevant), in terms of general GPU tech it seems what people have suspected is turning out to be true in that AMD's hardware has actually been superior but it was the software side that kept nvidia ahead. In particular paying dev's to pump out extra unneeded tessellation ( a weakness of AMD cards).

I will post a link to a very interesting video I found the other day for you in a new thread, which I think you will like. It has evidence e.g. of a game rendering highly tessellated water that's not even visible as its underground. This is a bit off topic for this thread tho.

In my mind for a 2-3 year upgrade cycle to work, there needs to be full BC, and prices need to come down, in addition it shouldnt require new controllers etc.

Also looking at games like the division and bloodbourne to me shows the PS4 is capable of providing modern gaming experiences, what seems to have caused this is the media's obsession with resolution and 60fps.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4

Edited by Chrysalis (Sun 27-Mar-16 10:51:56)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to