Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Apr-16 11:23:37
Print Post

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price

[link to this post]

This has been taken straight from the NeoGaf forums so don't quote me on it!!

Related info from a meeting we had yesterday was waiting for it to be approved before posting.

Price is currently $399.99 they were discussing a better CPU which would raise the price to $499.99 we were guaranteed the price will be no higher than $499.99 (He mentioned the CPU upgrade quite a bit almost as if they haven't really decided on a final spec could be a pricing issue.) also there is currently no plan for any type of trade in program for current PS4 users but that could change.

They stated that the GPU is twice as powerful as standard PS4 and much faster. They did not say exactly how fast but that is was running at a higher clock speed while being much smaller than the original.

It will have a 4k blu ray player and will upscale games that are not natively 4k.

Also there was talk of some sort of VR lounge for the media player app which is supposed to be getting a substantial upgrade.

It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

It was also made very clear that current games would not be getting any type of performance upgrades by being played on the system and any benefits to older games would come via patch per game and per developer. When asked if this was going to happen the response was "Its a possibility but doubtful with the exception of a handful of games."
We were also given a list of games that will be available at launch that will directly take advantage of the PS4K where the differences are and I will quote him "Significant."

For the PSVR

Eve Valkyrie
Robinson
GT Sport

For the PS4K

Deep Down (Thought this was dead)
GOW4 (This was the exact abbreviation on the sheet I can only assume its god of war 4)

There were more games on the list but these are the ones that stood out to me.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head I'll see if I can get any more information.

Edited to add:

I got a bit more information today but I am trying to find out who all knows about it before posting.

Also the word "Sacrifices" is being blown out of proportion. There are sacrifices made when making a console version of a game as compared to a PC game or when making an XB1 game as compared to a PS4 game. Don't expect PS4 games to all of a sudden become [censored] just expect them to run better on PS4K. I would expect a game that is really pushing the graphics envelope to run at 1080p 60fps on PS4K while the same game might run at 900p 60/30fps on PS4. Just the way I took it.

Edited by jorkila (Fri 01-Apr-16 11:25:20)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 01-Apr-16 11:53:32
Print Post

Re: PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, pric

[re: jorkila] [link to this post]

wel existing games that drop framerate due to bad optimisation, saturating hardware, its pretty obvious they would improve, but that would be an admittance something isnt right currently.

So when they say no performance improvement, what they mean is things like FPS caps wont magically double e.g from 30fps to 60fps.

Doubled power GPU, games targeted at that spec, I would be very surprised if such games still ran ok on the normal ps4, there would have to be some kind of significant compromise made. Clearly this will annoy a lot of existing PS4 owners and to me it doesnt make sense for sony to do this unless under extreme pressure from developers. Although if the consoles are profitable to make and sell now unlike previous gen then that will given them a reason.

This is very different to how PC upgrades work, and as such there is a reason why one practice is acceptable and the other isnt.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Apr-16 15:06:22
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Won't annoy me at all, I'll just give the PS4 to the kids and buy a 4.5k. That should power the PSVR well enough, so as to make it a no brainer instead of the Rift or a Vive!

Given the extra power, I have no doubt the PSVR will be the go to VR experience. Plug and play, with dedicated development teams. I suspect that is exactly why Sony are doing this and it won't hurt the development of normal PS4 games. What's not to like?

Other than the price of course. shocked

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Apr-16 16:25:13
Print Post

When can i preorder wink.

Timey wants more Grunt and power any day.

For Sale.

Playstation 4/ 1 Terabyte ..........Offers tongue

Edited by time2die (Fri 01-Apr-16 16:26:04)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Apr-16 16:27:44
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mrnelster:
Won't annoy me at all, I'll just give the PS4 to the kids and buy a 4.5k. That should power the PSVR well enough, so as to make it a no brainer instead of the Rift or a Vive!

Given the extra power, I have no doubt the PSVR will be the go to VR experience. Plug and play, with dedicated development teams. I suspect that is exactly why Sony are doing this and it won't hurt the development of normal PS4 games. What's not to like?

Other than the price of course. shocked

Another reason is the rumoured Spec of the yet unreleased Nintendo NX that is suppose to be more powerful than the current Playstation 4........Only a Rumour wink.

That leaves just yourself and Me Nelly on the upgrade scene as you know Farmer Swanny will wait 2 years until the price is right tongue.

Can someone please explain to Swanny how to revive and use medical facilities to help the poor players on his team .......smile

Edited by time2die (Fri 01-Apr-16 16:29:59)

Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Apr-16 17:54:34
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

I expect it will be day one for me too!!
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Apr-16 18:05:40
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

My ps is [censored] so I have no chose but to upgrade. I bet it won't play ps4 games

I was reviving and helping out lots, if it was for me you wouldn't have made it laugh

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
cool
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Apr-16 18:08:34
Print Post

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

It was working last night and of course it will play Playstation 4 games as basically its still a playstation 4 but with higher specifications .wink
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Apr-16 18:09:48
Print Post

A bit more yaddder, in video form this time. smile

https://youtu.be/4f1xmoz99tU
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Apr-16 18:11:48
Print Post

Hope they do some special offers at game and CEX then,when the playstation 3 slim arrived on the scene i was astonished that i got a trade in price at the time from Game [hate them] of £210,so i only ended up paying about £40 for a new slim Playstation 3.

That price was because CEX were doing it and Game matched it,so i do hope these retailers do a trade in,or even Shopto.net.

I think it will be just after the Summer this 4.5 or 4K whatever they call it ?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to