Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-May-16 18:29:18
Print Post

Slow downloads on PSN

[link to this post]

Anyone else find their game downloads slower than it should? Im on wifi which probably doesnt help, but the speedtest within the PS4 shows correct speeds, but the downloads dont equate to the speeds it says im getting

Reading online seems to be a common thing especially on wifi
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-May-16 20:11:25
Print Post

Re: Slow downloads on PSN

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Downloads have always been [censored] on the ps for me
I have homeplugs
I think it's sonys fault

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
cool

Edited by Lt_Swan (Tue 17-May-16 20:12:20)

Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-May-16 06:33:05
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
Anyone else find their game downloads slower than it should? Im on wifi which probably doesnt help, but the speedtest within the PS4 shows correct speeds, but the downloads dont equate to the speeds it says im getting
They won't equate. I think there is a download speed cap in place on the PSN, to balance the demand on bandwidth. 16 odd Mbps I've estimated in the past. I've never seen it attain my full connection speed, unlike Steam which (on the other extreme) bogs down my connection by saturating it with the download. Youtube will stutter when I download from Steam, because it will hoover up the average 5MBps (40-50Mbps) every time. You can monitor that on the realtime download graph in the Steam download menus. No graph option on the PS4 to indicate the consistency as far as I'm aware, just a progress bar and percentage:
Reading online seems to be a common thing especially on wifi
You've answered your own question there to be honest. You can try making sure QOS is enabled within your router settings, but wifi is wifi; even home plugs add a delay in my experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-May-16 10:01:34
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

I get 7.5Mbps wires on my PC which is right. 7.1Mbps on the PS4 tester which im assuming is due to being on wifi and not knowing where the test server is located.

Sometimes it will download at full speed, slowdown for abit then go fast again. Pausing the download and resuming fixes it as someonw on Reddit suggested. Wifi for streaming is fine its just PSN downloads
Standard User francisuk25
(regular) Sat 21-May-16 16:50:54
Print Post

Even on the Xbox One i never really done over 25Mb even downloading a game from store
and been with 2 ISPs, Sky and Virgin Media so is just a console limit no matter what we go for.

Virgin Media 50Mb/3Mb Broadband, Tivo M+ TV package
1.1mi distance to Mill Hill Exchange, Previously FTTC with Sky LLU synced @ 66/15
http://www.cellmapper.net
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-May-16 17:35:26
Print Post

[re: francisuk25] [link to this post]

Yep.

I get up to 7.5MB/s (60 ish Mb) but have never ever come close on the PSN. It's a dream when you get full bore downloads on Steam!
Standard User astateoftrance
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-May-16 19:46:37
Print Post

Considering all the money they get from subscriptions it should be PSN/Live that have the faster downloads.

Not that it causes me a problem on my 5-6 Mbit connection laugh

Edited by astateoftrance (Sat 21-May-16 19:47:31)

Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-May-16 09:31:01
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

The problem is, the more bandwidth, the higher the subscription cost, but it will sit there under-utilised for 95% of the time. I suspect adding bandwidth for peak volumes, such as COD release day etc, would be just as expensive.

Either way, the OP's conundrum is clearly wifi/router/isp based, and not a PSN bandwidth issue.
Not that it causes me a problem on my 5-6 Mbit connection
Willlllllmaaaaa! grin
Standard User astateoftrance
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-May-16 10:52:40
Print Post

Haha grin
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 30-May-16 16:40:16
Print Post

same here steam full speed, psn slow. Probably sony who are still cash poor keeping costs down.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
  Print Thread

Jump to