Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Jun-16 18:49:45
Print Post

Xbox Scorpio and 4K Gaming.......Really

[link to this post]

It begs the Question based on this view

So a Nvidia 1080GTX struggles at £650 to produce 4k games ,doesn't sound like Microsoft really know what that talking about here if you ask me.

We all know tech becomes cheaper the longer its out ,but this could be a Panasonic 3DO price point from the past and be retailing at around £600 at best.

Edited by time2die (Fri 17-Jun-16 18:52:41)

Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Jun-16 20:58:18
Print Post

Re: Xbox Scorpio and 4K Gaming.......Really

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

You didn't even read this article to the end did you laugh
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Jun-16 22:08:05
Print Post

[re: jorkila] [link to this post]

Nope.....just the first few paragraphs tongue

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User astateoftrance
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Jun-16 22:14:31
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Interesting. So what he is saying and what Phil spencer seems to confirm is that the games will have the same graphics apart from the resolution which will be 4k, that will be the only difference. so it is possible.

Games on Project Scorpio will look no different to their counterparts on Xbox One; the only difference will be the resolution at which the game is rendered. In doing this, no customer will miss out: should you have a Project Scorpio under your TV, with a 4K TV, the only difference with your game will be the amount of pixels rendered on your screen. Reflections, textures, shadow quality; everything within the game itself will be exactly the same no matter which console you play on.

Despite many claiming this canít be true given the power of the console, itís a fact even confirmed today by Phil Spencer in an interview with Eurogamer, where Phil asked the interviewer what TV they had:

Phil Spencer: What TV do you have?

Eurogamer: A standard 1080p TV.

Phil Spencer: Then you should buy this box, because Scorpio is not going to do anything for you. Scorpio is designed as a 4K console, and if you don't have a 4K TV, the benefit we've designed for, you're not going to see. Clearly, you can buy Scorpio, and if and when you decide you want to buy a 4K television to take advantage of the increased performance, obviously the console will be ready for you.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 18-Jun-16 01:10:31
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

rendering resolution is the biggest hit on the card tho.

I think it will be upscaled rather than native 4k resolution. The new flagships from nvidia can comfortably now do 1440p and just about do 4k at 60fps depending on the game. But they are have more grunt than the new consoles.

4k of course might be possible if you do tricks like reduce draw distance (horrible pop ins), lower shadow resolution, disable all AA, reduce tessellation etc. but then you will end up with a game that looks worse as resolution isnt the be all and end all.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Jun-16 01:46:23
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I believe it will more than likely end up to mean "upscaling" too.

I think we rely on 60fps too much though. If I could buy a 1070/80 to lock solidly at 30fps on high settings, in any current game in 4K, I'd rip their hands off. If the Scorpio does achieve native 4K, it will definitely be at 30fps, and more than likely very loud too!
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 18-Jun-16 10:21:45
Print Post

What settings are they using on those cards? he point's out that while a 1080 might struggle on high settings it can easily do it on medium, which is what consoles will be using.

Consoles currently employ the PCís ďmediumĒ settings, meaning should this trend continue over the next 18 months, itís absolutely possible medium setting games would be able to be rendered at 4K (heck, thatís easily possible today for PCs, should gamers turn their settings down).
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 18-Jun-16 10:23:00
Print Post

Could be up scaling but it's misleading to call that 'True 4k gaming'.
Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 18-Jun-16 10:40:02
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

I don't think it will be upscaling either, let's not forget this will be 18 months away and with what AMD are claiming their new 480 can do at such a competitive price there is absolutely no reason we shouldn't see an affordable 4k solution by then!!
Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 18-Jun-16 10:41:12
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

30fps at any resolution feels horrible to me on PC if I'm honest!

It's amazing how they do it on console and make it feel playable!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to