Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Oct-16 16:28:02
Print Post

For those upgrading to a Playstation Pro

[link to this post]

Obviously it needs formatting before you either ditch, give it away or trade in your playstation 4 for the newer Pro version,its actually called initialising on the Playstation 4 and a word of caution.

Im wiping mine in preparation for the Pro in a few weeks and the fact I'm giving it to one of my mates tomorrow, the process takes literally Hours so be warned,dont think that come Pro release day you will get up and think I'm trading my playstation 4 in for the new Pro,because its going to take 2/3 hours at best to wipe it.......Just basically a heads up.

Infinite warfare and the MW remaster ships next week so i will have to wait on the Pro the following week to check that game out, not that I'm sightly worried or bothered as i have bought this for one reason only and its not Infinite Warfare for sure.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 30-Oct-16 21:04:36
Print Post

Re: For those upgrading to a Playstation Pro

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

let us know if it improves framerate stability on existing games smile . The speculation is that on old games they will disable half the gpu and downclock it to match ps4 base gpu power.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 31-Oct-16 06:43:55
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Thanks for the good news crazy makes it so much better that now i know I'm not wasting my money .....Not tongue

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 31-Oct-16 21:03:28
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

if its true is lame yeah, whilst I am not an overall fan of this console been released, I think they should let people who buy it get better performance from the hardware.

I guess its been done to keep multiplayer games fair.

Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 31-Oct-16 21:28:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
if its true is lame yeah, whilst I am not an overall fan of this console been released, I think they should let people who buy it get better performance from the hardware.

I guess its been done to keep multiplayer games fair.
Doesn't sound likely to be true to me.

I thought they said the developers were free to patch old games if they wanted to, just that they weren't allowed to add any special features? Otherwise, how will new games be any different in multiplayer?

Why wouldn't MP be an issue on PC for the same reasons?
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 31-Oct-16 21:35:43
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Dont know, we will only really know after the pro is launched what the real situation is.

Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Nov-16 06:50:26
Print Post

I read somewhere that they will have to run the same framerates for multiplayer as the existing PS4.
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Nov-16 06:55:10
Print Post

According to this article, Mark Cerny tells us it is actually two identical GPUs, and simply turning one off negates any scalability/optimisation issues on existing games (if they're not patched of course).

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/20/13350476/sony-ps4...

i can't imagine the frame rate making a palpable difference to MP. I'd of thought it unlikely they'd patch the single player and then de-optimise the MP, but who knows how far they can realistically push the developers on parity. Too far, and it might not end up getting the support it deserves.

I won't buy one unless I know it will be maxing new games; not overly interested in what it does for existing games to be honest.
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Nov-16 06:58:44
Print Post

[re: jorkila] [link to this post]

That's what puts me off. I think that's meddling too much. I can understand not having additional options to standard ps4 titles, but I'd want to see the visual upgrade the same as if I upgraded my PC GPU.

Can't see the point otherwise...
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 01-Nov-16 10:38:46
Print Post

interesting interview.

He seems to have refused to rule out ps4 pro exclusives which suggests sony have changed their stance, even indicating in just 2 years time we may start seeing exclusives (games been developed now).

The turning off second gpu I still find odd, because on x86 archticeture if you upgrade the hardware a game will still work, but its possible that on sony's api's that it is finicky to hardware changes so that might be why they only unlocking the hardware to new and patched games.

End of video he mentions the controllers can run in wired mode on the pro. I wonder if this is also to help address bluetooth pairing issues that ps4 controllers have been getting.

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 01-Nov-16 10:46:06)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to