Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 15-Nov-16 13:24:41
Print Post

checkerboard rendering

[link to this post]

I been reading into this as I do find it interesting the trick been done on the ps4 to achieve playable framerates at higher resolutions. My first questions was why isnt this been done on other platforms? The answer is I believe its a new way of rendering developed by sony for their api and is now also patented so will be limited to the ps4 (or other sony consoles). The technology I think is similar to nvidia's clever MFAA technology, MFAA works by applying AA to alternate pixels every other frame, so the cost is almost halved and good results so e.g. 2xMFAA is equal to 4xMSAA visually. Sony's checkerboard rending seems similar that it renders half the frames, reconstructs the rest on alternate frames and so reducing the processing power needed to render what they rendering.

My next question I didnt find an answer to but is there a reason why checkerboard rendering cannot be used at 1080p meaning games performance issues can be fixed with this technique in normal HD mode on both the ps4 base and pro systems. Thoughts?

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 15-Nov-16 13:24:59)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Nov-16 17:02:30
Print Post

Re: checkerboard rendering

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I would answer but its well over my head so Pass..wink

Its like a Gaming forum with technical Experts on here and way to confusing for my liking...4XMSAA what the heck is that smile....MFAA ?

Checkerboard.......isn't that something you play Draughts on ?

Keep it simples Chrysalis......Baby words for me please wink

Just try and imagine explaining this to say someone in the region of 12 years old........Catch My Drift ?

Dont give me Einstein equations and grammar .....More of The cat sat on the Mat please,Jack and Jill went up the Hill.....

This isn't Countdown with Carol Vorderman now is it ?

Edited by time2die (Tue 15-Nov-16 17:03:24)

Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Nov-16 17:30:33
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by time2die:
I would answer but its well over my head so Pass..wink

Its like a Gaming forum with technical Experts on here and way to confusing for my liking...4XMSAA what the heck is that smile....MFAA ?

Checkerboard.......isn't that something you play Draughts on ?

Keep it simples Chrysalis......Baby words for me please wink

Just try and imagine explaining this to say someone in the region of 12 years old........Catch My Drift ?

Dont give me Einstein equations and grammar .....More of The cat sat on the Mat please,Jack and Jill went up the Hill.....

This isn't Countdown with Carol Vorderman now is it ?

This absolutely cracked me up, it's golden!!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Nov-16 17:32:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
My next question I didnt find an answer to but is there a reason why checkerboard rendering cannot be used at 1080p meaning games performance issues can be fixed with this technique in normal HD mode on both the ps4 base and pro systems. Thoughts?

A very good point I must say, could the base PS4 use it to achieve constant 1080p 60fps with all games? Does it have the required hardware to do so is the next question!!
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Nov-16 18:03:20
Print Post

[re: jorkila] [link to this post]

The playstation Pro will be a thing of the past in 12 months mark my words ?

If Sony want to hold on to there lead in the console world then they have to bring a playstation 5 to the table either around the same time as the Scorpio or take the shine of the Scorpio release date and announce something really early the following year.

To let Microsoft bring the Scorpio out and rely on a Playstation pro is simply stupid and foolish, because which ever way you look at it,Pc Gamer,Console gamer we all wont the best for our money and the console that generally has the better grunt and more power almost always wins the console wars.

I bet the playstation 5 is already in an advanced design stage as we speak, like i said at E3 in June Microsoft possibly shocked Sony with there release schedule and Scorpio announcement ,no doubt in my mind Sony didn't see this coming and a reason why at the time they never mentioned the Pro at the biggest Gaming event of the year.

Im sure the Pro would have been announced had Microsoft not bough that news to the table.

Sony can ill afford to have a major competitor release a console that is virtually twice as powerful as there recent Pro release........Its not going to happen and its going to cause a major stink with those that have invested in a Pro for sure............Talk about the Nintendo Wii U Crysalis ........Imagine Sony after a year announcing a Playstation 5..........
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 15-Nov-16 22:13:44
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

sony have the advantage of been first to market.

the scorpio may have better specs when its released, but the difference has to be big enough to be a reason for people to buy it and use it over the ps4. PS4 is sold as a 4k capable unit, xbox1 will be the same, 4k capable, but if they start saying things like "we are true 4k" I am not convinced that will hurt sony much, checkerboard rendering if its good enough to emulate 4k rendering then is effectively ok as a 4k machine.

I dont know what to say about your wish for sony releasing a console within 18 months of the ps4 pro, that will just annoy a lot of people. How many would pay £400 for a new console knowing it be obsolete in about 18 months? I dont think sony would be that stupid.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Nov-16 09:28:31
Print Post

Its not my wish i just don't see Sony letting Microsoft release a more powerful console than there own without doing anything about it.

There only saving grace if they decide to stick with there Pro is to bring out some games that are absolutely mind blowing for there unit.
  Print Thread

Jump to