Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Lt_Swan
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Feb-17 17:43:14
Print Post

Gaming PC died

[link to this post]

I was watching some BF1 nonsense on youtube when my PC just died. Burning smell and the monitor went out, PC light was still on but as though it was in standby. I tried turning it on again but it wouldn't do anything. I took the side panel off and gave it a good clean inside. It wasn't really dusty anyway. Plugged it all back in again and hit the start switch. Lights on motherboard and graphic card come on, fan spins then it goes dead again

I'm thinking it could be the PSU ??
It's an EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B https://www.cclonline.com/product/208744/110-B1-0750...

Anyone have any ideas???
Thanks

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
cool
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Feb-17 18:42:46
Print Post

Re: Gaming PC died

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

Test it?
Standard User Lt_Swan
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Feb-17 15:06:32
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

This is what EVGA said

Your Answer:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. Sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your system.

The fastest way to determine if your PSU is the issue would be testing it in another system to see if the problem follows the unit. You could also test a known good unit in your current system to see if the problem goes away.

It is possible that your graphics card could be causing this issue. If you have on-board graphics available to you have you tested the system without the card installed?

It does not appear that you have an EVGA account or product registered in order to review your warranty options:

We will need you to create an EVGA account https://secure.evga.com/EU/signup.asp
Register your product SUPPORT -> Product Registration
Upload your invoice SUPPORT -> Invoice Upload

If for some reason you do not feel comfortable creating an account and registering your product. We will be able to assist you with warranty support through our Guest RMA.

Regards,
EVGA

Swanny
cool

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 08-Feb-17 17:54:05
Print Post

do as they said test another PSU in the system.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Feb-17 19:48:53
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

If you happen to have one laying around...
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Feb-17 19:55:04
Print Post

Did you try the paper clip test? I was thinking, mine's a modular PSU with all black cabling. That was the point of buying it. Where would I stick it?

Answers on a postcard...

It might actually have coloured wiring right up against the connector, I didn't take that much notice when I installed it. crazy
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(committed) Wed 08-Feb-17 20:52:43
Print Post

TBH It could be any number of things, When you say it goes dead again do you mean it turns off completely?.

A lot of PSU's will shut down if they detect an issue from elsewhere, Can you see any capacitors that are bulging or blown on the motherboard?

PSU, Graphics card or Motherboard sound like the most likely cause to me, I guess this is what EVGA are thinking as well and that is why they are asking if you have onboard graphics to try instead of the graphics card as that would rule out the graphics card and trying the PSU elsewhere or putting in a replacement would also generally rule that out.

Ideally you want to check for capacitors bulge or blown first and if that looks fine then you want to take out the dedicated graphics card and just try the onboard graphics if you have it if not then you need to swap out either the PSU or graphics card to see if that solves the issue.
Standard User Lt_Swan
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Feb-17 18:31:45
Print Post

Tested it like he said and nothing happens so looks like the PSU is knackered

It's still under warranty but I don't have the receipt

Shipped Date: 01/09/2015

The days left for warranty period : 334 Days

I've email EVGA again and asked what they can do.......

Motherboard is a MSI Z97 Gaming 5
Graphic card MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G

Kila recommended going for a Cosair CSM 750 80+ Gold

Swanny
cool

Edited by Lt_Swan (Thu 09-Feb-17 18:43:14)

Standard User Lt_Swan
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Feb-17 18:50:25
Print Post

[re: IranianGiraffe] [link to this post]

No capacitors that are bulging or blown on the motherboard. Took out the graphics card but that didn't make any difference. Did Nellys PSU test and that shows as the problem
Hopefully EVGA will do something...

Swanny
cool
Standard User Lt_Swan
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Feb-17 18:51:06
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I don't have one

Swanny
cool
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Feb-17 19:49:21
Print Post

Gold's good if you have the readies, but if you don't use it as often as your PS4, it's not a must have. I think mines a bronze.

750 sounds more than adequate for your set up. You could go lower, making gold more affordable?

Some interesting thoughts here https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/249208-650w-or-...
Standard User Lt_Swan
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Feb-17 00:28:07
Print Post

Thanks Burt
I've heard back from EVGA and it sounds as if they are going to honour the warranty so I might be getting a free replacement which would be nice smile

Thanks for everyones help smile

Swanny
cool
Standard User Lt_Swan
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Feb-17 00:31:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by mrnelster:
Gold's good if you have the readies, but if you don't use it as often as your PS4, it's not a must have. I think mines a bronze.

750 sounds more than adequate for your set up. You could go lower, making gold more affordable?

Some interesting thoughts here https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/249208-650w-or-...

When the system draws much less power than what a PSU is rated at it can be very inefficient and sometimes cause the lifespan of the PSU to decrease.

Maybe that's whats happened????

I think I might do like you say and get a gold 650 and sell the EVGA

Swanny
cool

Edited by Lt_Swan (Fri 10-Feb-17 00:45:08)

Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Feb-17 19:18:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Lt_Swan:
When the system draws much less power than what a PSU is rated at it can be very inefficient and sometimes cause the lifespan of the PSU to decrease.

Maybe that's whats happened????
It doesn't work like that Ernie. I think he is posting a common misconception.

A Gold rated PSU is just cheaper to run due to it's increased efficiency. It simply means that a 500W Bronze PSU, will draw up to 625W, in order to supply said 500W. A 500W gold PSU will only draw 580(ish)W to supply the same 500W.

It saves you money if you're gaming for hours every night, 365 days a year. If you're on your PS4 as often as you are, it's probably of no great benefit to pay extra for Silver/Gold/Platinum. Bronze is fine.

That said, over-sizing will not damage the PC or PSU, so if you can get the Gold 750 under warranty,, do it. smile
Standard User Lt_Swan
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Feb-17 01:29:10
Print Post

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll just bung the bronze back in if I get it
Still waiting to see what's going to happen with EVGA they are asking for an invoice now which I don't have

We encourage all of our customers to upload a copy of your Invoice or Receipt as proof of purchase to your account at this time.

Uploading your proof of purchase is not required, but it will help to expedite approvals

Swanny
cool
Standard User Lt_Swan
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Feb-17 14:24:11
Print Post

They agreed to fix it under warranty so I sent the PSU back on Thursday. It's been delivered (I thought it hadn't but I had the wrong code) so now I just have to wait and see smile

Swanny
cool

Edited by Lt_Swan (Sun 19-Feb-17 16:38:39)

Standard User Lt_Swan
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Feb-17 18:31:26
Print Post

Hooray it's back :)

EVGA sent me a replacement free of charge smile
Great to be back on this PC again
Might even have a game of LOTR Rise of the Witch Queen to celebrate laugh

Swanny
cool
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Feb-17 20:50:09
Print Post

Re: Hooray it's back :)

Good news!

All hail the paper clip test then.....hopefully I'll never need to try it. wink
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Feb-17 10:53:54
Print Post

Finally found the time to get mine up and running again yesterday, with a fresh Windows install. Not too much flaffing about, as the Microsoft imaging tool takes care of it all automatically.

Hours of game and software re-downloads required though, as I didn't want to back up anything that might have introduced the problem in the first place. Big praise for Steam though. Simple security checks, with codes via text message made it all simple too. The PSN library is far less intuitive for licensing/re-downloading etc.

And Steam always maxes my connection to well over 50Mbps. smile The PSN seems to only manage a maximum of half that. frown

So time for some Homefront: The Revolution today. Such a great looking game, even if the story is conspicuously signposted. Will try out the new AMD ReLive video capture software and see if it fairs better. Got lots of stutter recording Homefront previously, that never manifested itself in game? Think Toady sometimes got a similar problem when recording gameplay. Maybe proprietary software will help.
Standard User Lt_Swan
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Feb-17 14:42:04
Print Post

PSN is terrible. I download the Tom Clancy demo the other day. Took hours and it's only 25gb
The demo is only ok-ish. Shan't be buying the game

Swanny
cool
Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Feb-17 15:49:15
Print Post

Good call, from what I played of the closed beta I thought it was a terrible game!!

Cannot wait for Horizon zero dawn Wednesday!!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to