Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(committed) Tue 26-Sep-17 12:08:39
Print Post

Re: GPU

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
seems to have settled around the 300 usd mark, not perfect but at least it didnt crash into obscurity.

Investors are a fickle bunch of people, mass reacting to every announcement of short term events.

Are you talking about the Ethereum price????. I've not been affected by that as I never mine it (big perk of the 1080ti it's decent at mining pretty much every coin so it's much easier to keep the ROI at a consistent level).

I must admit I'm beginning to hold onto some of the coins I mine now especially if they are masternode or proof of stake coins, I like the idea of getting free coins for just keeping wallet open.
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Sep-17 20:58:40
Print Post

[re: IranianGiraffe] [link to this post]

I think you're right. I was shocked at the power requirements for Vega. crazy

Most likely a 1080 has been my latest thinking. Going in for my third eye operation next week, so I'll know fairly soon (hopefully) whether it will be worth picking up a VR headset or not. One eye is pointless for VR. Well, for VR gaming at least.... tongue

If not, the 1080 is the best 4k performer out there other than the Ti, and quite frankly I would never pay that sort of money for a GPU.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 26-Sep-17 22:08:10
Print Post

all coins really, you may have noticed that when eth rises, every other coin rises, when eth drops every other coin drops.

Seems all the coins have the same growth patterns.

Of course there is variance in how much each coins drop and grows in the amount, but if they go up and down, they tied like glue.

So e.g. if eth drops from 300usd to 200usd a drop of 1/3 of value, then it also means all other coins have dropped by about 1/3.

So yes you was affected by the crash early sept "unless" you didnt exchange any of your coins to FIAT.

DMD, ZEC, ZEN, Litecoin, plus others all crashed during the same period.

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 26-Sep-17 22:12:00)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 26-Sep-17 22:34:48
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

depends if we talking about gaming or mining.

for mining a vega 56 is faster than a 1080 and costs 40% less. (remember you can flash a 64 bios on a 56 and it is almost as fast as a 64 then).

Its poor at power efficiency, but I think the cost of a beefier PSU and higher power costs are easier to soak up than the lump sum cost of the more expensive gpu.

For me a 1080 is the worst choice for mining.

1080ti
vega56

all better choices.

But I dont know if you talking about mining or gaming here, I thought you already owned a 1080 for gaming.

We seem to have flip flopped on amd vs nvidia.

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 26-Sep-17 22:36:04)

Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Sep-17 23:01:54
Print Post

I'm not talking about mining, just gaming.

I would buy a Vega if the price was comparative, but it's nowhere near. My 390x was much cheaper than a 980 when I bought it, so the higher power draw was less of an issue. I can buy a 1080 now cheaper than a Vega 56 and it uses less power. It's a no brainer.

I would never buy a 1080 Ti for gaming. Other than for the Kudos, it's pointless.

I recently said I was going to buy a 1080 Hybrid, but I didn't bother because the prices were rising daily. I wasn't in that much of a rush, as I posted, but now I'm hoping to pick one up next week maybe.

Edited by mrnelster (Tue 26-Sep-17 23:07:53)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 27-Sep-17 03:48:27
Print Post

yeah for gaming I would use nvidia smile

The vega 56 isnt too bad tho, I think its a much better product than the 64. The 64 is just bad in all metrics tho.

If you ok waiting I would wait till the 1070ti comes out, as is rumoured to be very close to 1080 and the price gap might be reasonable.

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 27-Sep-17 03:49:49)

Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Sep-17 06:55:04
Print Post

I can pick up a brand new 1080 for around £450, which I imagine a 1070 Ti would likely come in at, with current pricing at least. I suspect the fact you just posted about the 1080 being the worst of the four cards for mining is the reason, and highlights just how damaging the current mining craze has been to the GPU market for gamers.

Making £450 sound like a bargain for a GPU is surreal. You'd normally see that as the high end of pricing, other than the Titan type enthusiast nonsense pricing of £600 plus. I bought a 390X because it was 100 odd quid cheaper than a 980. Now a whole range of 1080s are cheaper (just) than many 1070s.

Bonkers...
(committed) Wed 27-Sep-17 13:07:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
all coins really, you may have noticed that when eth rises, every other coin rises, when eth drops every other coin drops.

Seems all the coins have the same growth patterns.

Of course there is variance in how much each coins drop and grows in the amount, but if they go up and down, they tied like glue.

So e.g. if eth drops from 300usd to 200usd a drop of 1/3 of value, then it also means all other coins have dropped by about 1/3.

So yes you was affected by the crash early sept "unless" you didnt exchange any of your coins to FIAT.

DMD, ZEC, ZEN, Litecoin, plus others all crashed during the same period.

While I agree most of the top 100 coins follow Bitcoin price there are plenty of coins that don't follow bitcoin prices like most of the top 100 coins do.
Example
14th Sept 15th Sept
Bitcoin $3800 $3000 21% drop
Ethereum $270 $200 26% drop
Wyvern $0.028 $0.025 11% drop

I'm only using that as an example as that was I was mining at the time but it only lost just over half of what Bitcoin did and on other drops I've been on coins that have lost less than 5% when Bitcoin has lost 15-25%.

The only big coin that I sometimes mine and that's very rare now is ZEC.

I have never sold my coins after a big drop as the market always seems to recover (don't take this as any sort of advice on what to do) but for me it's worked out well.
The reason I say that I've not really been effected is that my profits have barely gone down on when the coins are flying as the difficulty on one is always dropping and it becomes more profitable to mine so I just switch to that one.

As I mentioned before tho I'm looking at holding onto my coins now with POS coins and masternode coins so that just holding them earns me coins/money.
(committed) Wed 27-Sep-17 13:29:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by mrnelster:
I can pick up a brand new 1080 for around £450, which I imagine a 1070 Ti would likely come in at, with current pricing at least. I suspect the fact you just posted about the 1080 being the worst of the four cards for mining is the reason, and highlights just how damaging the current mining craze has been to the GPU market for gamers.

Making £450 sound like a bargain for a GPU is surreal. You'd normally see that as the high end of pricing, other than the Titan type enthusiast nonsense pricing of £600 plus. I bought a 390X because it was 100 odd quid cheaper than a 980. Now a whole range of 1080s are cheaper (just) than many 1070s.

Bonkers...

Bonkers is indeed the right word for these prices.

The 1080 is the 2nd best card behind the 1080ti for daily profit. It was only the worst on that list because it was around £125-£150 more expensive than a 1070 so it took a few weeks longer to get the full ROI, So if the 1080 are now almost the same prices as a 1070 then a 1080 would be better for mining as well, There were only a few coins like Ethereum that a 1080 was bad at mining and with the amount of coins the 1080 and 1080ti are better at mining you wouldn't touch something like Ethereum with it anyway.
1080 is a very good card for both mining and gaming IMO if you want an allrounder.
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Sep-17 17:56:40
Print Post

Yeah, I'm pretty much settled on the 1080 now, but not quite which one just yet. Isis water pumps on the EVGA Hybrid have put me off that a bit...maybe... smirk
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to