Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User astateoftrance
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Apr-17 18:49:24
Print Post

Re: GPU

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

500 series launching on the 18th so I will leave it until then...depending on prices I will get a 570/580 or 470/480. As Giraffe said there won't be much difference in performance so price will be the deciding factor.
Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Apr-17 12:50:56
Print Post

Still happy with your 1070? Considering an upgrade but not sure whether to go for a 1070 or 1080? Is the 1080 worth the extra £££?
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 16-Apr-17 18:39:17
Print Post

[re: jorkila] [link to this post]

the 1070 has been excellent for me.

If I remember correctly when the 1080ti got launched the 1080 was supposedly dropped in price but the 1070 was not. I havent bothered checking uk prices recently tho to see if that is what panned out.

If you get a 1070 or 1080 get either a palit or a zotac, they are both 2.5 slot cards with nice beefy coolers.

For what its worth I have yet to be bottlenecked by my GPU in any games I play at 1440p. I even am currently playing tales of berseria at 1440p with 4xSGSSAA (the latter is a very heavy demand on gpus).

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 16-Apr-17 18:41:13
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

generally gpu grunt matters more than amount of vram, unless the vram is really low, but 4 gig is "not" really low. The price difference between the 470 and 480 you showed me is minuscule, hence the 480 recommendation.

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Apr-17 21:24:10
Print Post

Thanks.

Well the 500 series is out and looking at the prices they are it makes more sense to me to either get a 1060 6GB with a free game (for honour/wildlands) for £214 or go lower budget and get a 1050 ti (£127). No really good deals on 470s and 480s like I was hoping.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 20-Apr-17 21:21:58
Print Post

sadly the uk market has been like this frown

when pascal got released the maxwell cards were jumped up in price to make pascal appear good value, pure price gouging by the uk retailers lately.

(fountain of knowledge) Fri 28-Apr-17 18:02:32
Print Post

Yeah it's a shame there weren't any good deals to be had. The best price I saw was back in March I think, about £150 for a 480 4gb, should have grabbed it then.

Anyway I decided to go for a 1050ti (EVGA SC) which I have just ordered, arriving tomorrow smile decided that would be fine as my cpu is only a i3 6100, if I really get into PC gaming again I can go for a i5 and better card down the line.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 30-Apr-17 16:36:41
Print Post

the ocuk boss, posted on his forum at the time that the increases were due to brexit impact on the exchange rate, and said cards already paid for (by ocuk to supplier) such as the 980ti stock would not be affected. Literally days after he posted the 980ti's were hiked up in price for no plausible reason other than gouging presumably due to a jump in orders, its sad but is what it is. frown

glad you made your choice, waiting wouldnt have achieved much I feel, given now how they keep previous gen cards priced high artificially anyway.

If you track the prices of gpu's on uk retailers excluding amazon, they can often be seen to be tweaked several times a week, which I doubt is anything to do with supply costs but more to do with maximising profit based on demand.

I just checked ocuk, my palit 1070 gamerock premium which I paid just over £400 for is still no cheaper, its currently £428, so waiting would have been pointless.

The 1050ti is £120 on ocuk. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-geforce-gtx-1050...

Edited by Chrysalis (Sun 30-Apr-17 16:39:32)

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Apr-17 18:50:11
Print Post

I went for the EVGA Superclocked version for £144, not sure if the extra clock speed is worth the extra cost or not, couldn't find out online. Anyway many of the cheaper versions weren't available for next day delivery and I wanted it for this weekend. Time will tell whether I will regret not spending more, I very nearly went for a 1060 6gb. It plays Wolfenstein great but then that's not the best test being a 3 year old game smile
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 03-May-17 20:52:34
Print Post

not sure either, in theory all cards should reach similar speeds, the higher shipped clock just gives you the clocks in a easier way, , however it is possible the cards that are clocked higher and sold at a premium may have binned chips meaning they actually will clock higher due to been cherry picked.

Still a fair sized price jump from your £144 card to a £180 gtx 1060, so I wont say its a bad purchase, and end of the day if it works well on games you play then its a good purchase. smile

The good thing about evga is they have a step up program, so if you ever want to upgrade in future you can use that to upgrade.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to