Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User astateoftrance
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Apr-17 20:13:56
Print Post

GPU

[link to this post]

Well I still don't have a GPU and I am impatiently waiting for AMD to release their 500 series before making a decision, hoping it's this week. I would ideally like a card before the weekend.. really unsure what I will go for, out of the current cards I go from thinking of just grabbing a 1050ti to then thinking a 470/480 to then being tempted to go for a 1060 6gb.

I think a 470 or 480 is probably the sweet spot for performance/value but I do like the low power and temps of the nvidia cards.

Hoping for some good advice from one of the bots who have joined the forum laugh
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 10-Apr-17 23:53:44
Print Post

Re: GPU

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

what resolution you aim to play at and expected games?

There is a site that rents out cards, which I checked out after a youtuber praised them but the rental prices are insanity so wont recommend it. tongue

if you know its going to be temporary prior to 500 series launch then I would go for the cheapest one.

I suspect AMD have a deal with the console vendors to make their SoC systems more powerful than what they sell as discrete which would explain why they not going into high end performance territory in the PC space. With that said tho I read rumours that the 500 series could hit gtx 1070 levels of performance for mid range price.

Regarding temps, go for an aftermarket card, prioritise heatsink thickness. Going for a card which could be considered too powerful will lead to lower temps as it wont be working at full pelt. Nvidia didnt really get cool until pascal tho in my opinion. Pascal temperatures are unreal. My gtx 970 would still hit mid 70s or higher in heavy games, my 1070 is 40s in most games, but enters the 50s if pushed. I can only get it higher than 60 in benchmarks.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Edited by Chrysalis (Mon 10-Apr-17 23:58:24)

Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Apr-17 00:27:41
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I suspect AMD have a deal with the console vendors to make their SoC systems more powerful than what they sell as discrete
That's ridiculous.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User IranianGiraffe
(committed) Tue 11-Apr-17 10:30:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
I suspect AMD have a deal with the console vendors to make their SoC systems more powerful than what they sell as discrete which would explain why they not going into high end performance territory in the PC space. With that said tho I read rumours that the 500 series could hit gtx 1070 levels of performance for mid range price.

The 500 series is basically just a rebadge of the 400 series with slightly higher clock speed so expect around a 5-10% increase for a 580 over a 480 etc.

I'm not sure what you mean with AMD having a deal with console vendors to make their SoC systems more powerful that what they sell as discrete and that's why they are not going into high end performance in the PC space.

A 480 now is more powerful than what any current console can put out and TFLOPS wise is only a small amount lower than what the scorpio is down to do 5.8 vs 6 TFLOPS.
The AMD "Vega" cards expected next month from the leaked benchmarks beat a 1080 stats wise (obviously have to wait for one to be released before we can check games etc) but I would class that as going into high end performance.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 11-Apr-17 12:51:36
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

why?

If I was a console vendor I would probably ask for that.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 11-Apr-17 13:00:35
Print Post

[re: IranianGiraffe] [link to this post]

Its fairly standard industry practice that if you giving a hardware supplier a ton of business that you dont want them to give their best stuff to competitors.

e.g. samsung have exclusivity on qualcomm's latest chip.

I am not saying AMD have got such a deal, its just my theory tied in with what I know goes on in the industry. AMD has a lot of their business from the console's, to them that's more important than the PC market.

Regarding the new vega stuff we will have to wait and see, in terms of TFLOPS amd seems to underpeform.

e.g. an amd 480 card is 5.8 tflops whilst a gtx 970 is 3.9 tflops yet has comparable performance.
My 1070 is 6.5 tflops but has a bigger gap to the 480 than the tflops numbers suggest.

The xbox scorpio is over 6 tflops but not using vega so it would still be the most powerful amd polaris system in the consumer space.

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Apr-17 19:50:35
Print Post

My monitor is only 1080p and I will be keeping it for some time so that will be the max resolution... not sure what games but I would want to be playing any new ones that come out as well as older ones.
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Apr-17 20:04:57
Print Post

Here are a few I have been considering

Asus 470 4GB £158.28

Asus 480 4GB £168.91

Asus 470 8GB £173.33
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Apr-17 20:08:59
Print Post

why?

If I was a console vendor I would probably ask for that.
Because it's not based on any sort of evidence, empirical or published.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 12-Apr-17 02:57:07
Print Post

out of those 3 the 480 4 gig.

(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Apr-17 18:49:24
Print Post

500 series launching on the 18th so I will leave it until then...depending on prices I will get a 570/580 or 470/480. As Giraffe said there won't be much difference in performance so price will be the deciding factor.
Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Apr-17 12:50:56
Print Post

Still happy with your 1070? Considering an upgrade but not sure whether to go for a 1070 or 1080? Is the 1080 worth the extra £££?
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 16-Apr-17 18:39:17
Print Post

[re: jorkila] [link to this post]

the 1070 has been excellent for me.

If I remember correctly when the 1080ti got launched the 1080 was supposedly dropped in price but the 1070 was not. I havent bothered checking uk prices recently tho to see if that is what panned out.

If you get a 1070 or 1080 get either a palit or a zotac, they are both 2.5 slot cards with nice beefy coolers.

For what its worth I have yet to be bottlenecked by my GPU in any games I play at 1440p. I even am currently playing tales of berseria at 1440p with 4xSGSSAA (the latter is a very heavy demand on gpus).

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 16-Apr-17 18:41:13
Print Post

generally gpu grunt matters more than amount of vram, unless the vram is really low, but 4 gig is "not" really low. The price difference between the 470 and 480 you showed me is minuscule, hence the 480 recommendation.

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Apr-17 21:24:10
Print Post

Thanks.

Well the 500 series is out and looking at the prices they are it makes more sense to me to either get a 1060 6GB with a free game (for honour/wildlands) for £214 or go lower budget and get a 1050 ti (£127). No really good deals on 470s and 480s like I was hoping.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 20-Apr-17 21:21:58
Print Post

sadly the uk market has been like this frown

when pascal got released the maxwell cards were jumped up in price to make pascal appear good value, pure price gouging by the uk retailers lately.

(fountain of knowledge) Fri 28-Apr-17 18:02:32
Print Post

Yeah it's a shame there weren't any good deals to be had. The best price I saw was back in March I think, about £150 for a 480 4gb, should have grabbed it then.

Anyway I decided to go for a 1050ti (EVGA SC) which I have just ordered, arriving tomorrow smile decided that would be fine as my cpu is only a i3 6100, if I really get into PC gaming again I can go for a i5 and better card down the line.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 30-Apr-17 16:36:41
Print Post

the ocuk boss, posted on his forum at the time that the increases were due to brexit impact on the exchange rate, and said cards already paid for (by ocuk to supplier) such as the 980ti stock would not be affected. Literally days after he posted the 980ti's were hiked up in price for no plausible reason other than gouging presumably due to a jump in orders, its sad but is what it is. frown

glad you made your choice, waiting wouldnt have achieved much I feel, given now how they keep previous gen cards priced high artificially anyway.

If you track the prices of gpu's on uk retailers excluding amazon, they can often be seen to be tweaked several times a week, which I doubt is anything to do with supply costs but more to do with maximising profit based on demand.

I just checked ocuk, my palit 1070 gamerock premium which I paid just over £400 for is still no cheaper, its currently £428, so waiting would have been pointless.

The 1050ti is £120 on ocuk. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-geforce-gtx-1050...

Edited by Chrysalis (Sun 30-Apr-17 16:39:32)

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Apr-17 18:50:11
Print Post

I went for the EVGA Superclocked version for £144, not sure if the extra clock speed is worth the extra cost or not, couldn't find out online. Anyway many of the cheaper versions weren't available for next day delivery and I wanted it for this weekend. Time will tell whether I will regret not spending more, I very nearly went for a 1060 6gb. It plays Wolfenstein great but then that's not the best test being a 3 year old game smile
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 03-May-17 20:52:34
Print Post

not sure either, in theory all cards should reach similar speeds, the higher shipped clock just gives you the clocks in a easier way, , however it is possible the cards that are clocked higher and sold at a premium may have binned chips meaning they actually will clock higher due to been cherry picked.

Still a fair sized price jump from your £144 card to a £180 gtx 1060, so I wont say its a bad purchase, and end of the day if it works well on games you play then its a good purchase. smile

The good thing about evga is they have a step up program, so if you ever want to upgrade in future you can use that to upgrade.

(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-May-17 21:59:16
Print Post

So far I'm happy and it's great to get back to playing some games on the PC smile If I had gone for a 1060 it would be a 6gb version which were starting at £214, so a even bigger increase.

Hadn't heard about EVGA step up so glad you mentioned that, seems it has to be within 90 days of purchased but thats still decent.
Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-May-17 08:17:07
Print Post

I went for the MSI Gaming X version based on reviews, should be here tomorrow laugh
Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-May-17 19:53:53
Print Post

Beautiful card, phased by nothing so far @1080p, will most likely upgrade to a 1440p monitor in the near future! In the meantime I'm going to put it on my 4k tv and see what it can do!
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-May-17 20:26:22
Print Post

Very nice smile
(committed) Thu 11-May-17 21:16:35
Print Post

I'm waiting on Vega before I build my new PC, I've got an ultra wide freesync monitor so need an AMD card as I'm not paying the premium that the relevant G-sync monitor costs along with the card. Vega cards should be at least around the 1080s which will do for a few years for me, Saying that I then need a water block for it as I'm going to custom water cool my PC so hopefully it won't take too long after Vega comes out for the water blocks to arrive.
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-May-17 11:09:12
Print Post

That makes sense.. be interested to hear what you go for when you build it smile
(committed) Wed 05-Jul-17 13:23:01
Print Post

Just out of interest here does anyone do GPU mining with their GPU?.
I see the reason why the 480s etc didn't come down in price was that all of the AMDs top cards were in demand for GPU mining and still are. (although that's likely to change very shortly)

The profit has fallen a fair bit recently but it's still pretty good, I've currently got 2x1080 and 1x 1080ti in my system but I get about £10 or so a day from them.

Currently got around £450 from them in under a month so even if the GPU mining dies out I can easily sell the cards off and end up in profit. (so if anyone wants a cheaper 1080 if GPU mining crashes let me know lol)
I work from home so my PC is nearly always on and even then it rarely uses the GPU so setting it up to mine while my PC is on anyway just gets me money for nothing.

If you have a half decent GPU tho it's definitely worth looking into as depending on what it is it could pay some costs back.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 05-Jul-17 15:00:10
Print Post

mining generates cash? O_o

please provide tips thanks, I found this but not sure if its useful

http://www.coindesk.com/information/how-to-set-up-a-...

since my pc is on 24/7 I will accept free money.

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 05-Jul-17 15:02:10)

(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Jul-17 22:08:57
Print Post

Interesting, I knew there used to be money it mining bitcoin before but that it was not viable now from what I have read.

Have you deducted electric costs from that ?
(committed) Wed 05-Jul-17 22:44:43
Print Post

By far and away the easiest way of making cash is via Nicehash but it's not the most profitable as your basically paying them for making it easy for you.

https://new.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator

That link gives a rough idea of the returns you can make with your card.

https://new.nicehash.com/cpu-gpu-mining

If you download the program from the link above and run the benchmarks it will work out what the best thing to mine for you is and automatically do it.

You just need to setup a bitcoin wallet from somewhere else (just google bitcoin wallet and it will bring up a load you can select from like coinbase/jaxx etc), Then put that wallets address in the wallet section of the program and away you go.

All cards mine different things at a different rate though so not all cards are worth doing and depending on your card you want to change the settings on it as well (my 1080 cards, for instance, I under power to 66% and bump the memory up.

Then when you've earned enough money for them to send it (think its around £18) they will send it to your bitcoin address and then you can sell the bitcoin for cold hard cash or keep it and sell it at a later date.

Regarding your link it's not worth mining Bitcoin with a GPU it would now take too long you are better off mining other coins/things (AMD cards with generally mine Ethereum for instance) like I said Nicehash make it easy for you and you basically mine the Ethereum and they will pay you in Bitcoin for it and because of that you won't earn as much as you could if you mined it yourself and then exchanged it for bitcoin and then sold it.

It maxes out your GPU tho so when running it you won't be able to play any games on it (browsing etc is fine) you also may want to check your temperature on card etc because of this. Like I said tho you can generally lower the power and increase the memory and it will run cooler and use less power than running it at 100%.

Personally my 1080 near my CPU gets to around 70c, 1080ti gets to 61c and the 1080 on the outside of my case around 55c. The 380x I did have tho used to hit 80c unless I bumped up the fan speeds.
(committed) Wed 05-Jul-17 22:56:16
Print Post

Yeah Bitcoin is deffo not viable now GPU wise.

I have deducted electric costs from my profits.

Basically, at the moment I get around £12 a day from my 3 cards. Lowering the power on the cards my 1080 use around 125watts each and my 1080ti around 150 so 400 in total. At 14p kWh it's around £1.50 a day.

So at the moment I get just over £10 profit.

Using Nicehash tho they currently pay me around £10 a day then less the £1.50 for the cards but I mine it myself (which takes a while to setup but you get a better return as seen above)
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 06-Jul-17 08:39:58
Print Post

Seems all good to me just confusing tho because of all the variables, I will likely do the easy one you mentioned at least to start out with.

My concern tho is that you mention profits are dropping and there must be a reason for that is it because more people catch on the extra competition reduces profits? As I am considering the viability of buying new cards just for this.

I have a gtx 1070 which the link you provided estimates 100gbp a month profit which seems nice enough, at those profit levels it then makes sense to buy extra gpus as they will be paid for within half a year.

Consider you said this is a low profit now and that you used to get higher, it sounds like you were making a killing from this earlier.

Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Jul-17 15:50:41
Print Post

Using ethminer I was seeing an average of 27Mh/s mining to Nanopool but was seeing that others were easily hitting 30Mh/s+ with a single 1070.
So I looked into it and found that claymore is better optimised for the 1070 and I'm now seeing 30Mh/s but for some reason it's now not registering on Nanopool frown

Know of any reason why?
Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Jul-17 15:51:51
Print Post

Never mind, I literally submitted this post then refreshed the Nanopool page and all was showing, happy days!!
(committed) Thu 06-Jul-17 16:04:18
Print Post

As you said a GTX 1070 in that link said £92.59 earnings in the past month (after electric costs)

BUT..... If you look at the 1 day the profit after electric is only £1.96 so x 30 = £58.98 That's going by yesterday's price so as you can see its' dropped a fair bit.

1 month ago you were looking at around double what it is now.

The profits drop for a number of reasons, The 2 easiest ways of describing why it may have gone down tho is 1) The value of the coins has dropped some, 2) The more people that mine a coin the higher the difficulty gets so it takes longer to mine.
The price of the coins has shot up the last few months and so there was bound to be some retraction in the market at least.

Regarding extra GPUs, As you've probably worked out I ended up purchasing some more myself to mine (pretty sure no one needs 2x 1080 and 1x 1080ti to play games on LOL, The way I look at it is if the market crashed and there was no point mining I would have to sell the cards and I've allowed myself to lose £100 on each card selling it 2nd hand (on eBay and forums the difference is closer to £50 than £100 so I was being conservative.

The thing you have to be wary of is a lot of people purchased the 480/580 cards as they were around £200-£280 each because you could get £4 a day on them at 1 point so basically the cards were paying for themselves after 2 months so you can see why there was no AMD cards available anywhere, Then people started having to move to other cards and the 1060 and 1070 were next as they also were cheaper with quicker returns, so if the market did crash there would be a lot of cards put on the market driving the price down (it happened a few years ago), What I've done is purchase the 1080 and 1080ti now as although they cost more and the returns to cost margin was lower if the market collapsed 1) There are fewer people mining with them so fewer people to drive price down just getting what they can for their cards and 2) People are always looking for a top end card.

Well I've more than got that back now but then like I said it was making more money before, I would be a lot more wary of doing it now.
(committed) Thu 06-Jul-17 16:12:52
Print Post

LMAO

Always the way, Message about something not working and then seconds later boom it's working.
Claymore was deffo the better miner out there for Ethereum.

I see that Ethereum and Zcash are pretty much the same return at the moment for 1070s so hopefully, all the 1070 people will move over to that so I can mine my Zcash in peace lol.
Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Jul-17 19:30:21
Print Post

What pool are you using?
(committed) Thu 06-Jul-17 19:46:22
Print Post

Depends on the coin TBH

Zcash.flypool.org , Ethermine.org , Suprnova.cc , to name a few
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 07-Jul-17 18:24:14
Print Post

so did a bit more reading.

so every so often the rewards are halved for bitcoins
in addition every so often the mining is made harder as well

So this explains why rewards are getting lower, presumably this will hit a point when it crashes, when people deem not profitable enough so sell their kit.

Then at some point in future it kicks off again with a boom period, me a jorky getting in towards end of current boom period?

Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Jul-17 11:22:56
Print Post

You get setup?
(committed) Sat 08-Jul-17 12:22:43
Print Post

Not sure what you mean about rewards are halved for Bitcoin.
(you are not mining Bitcoin anyway so only the price of Bitcoin should affect you).

As I said before the difficulty of the mining is made harder when it gets mined more (it also is made easier when fewer people mine it).

The difficulty and the price are the main things that will affect the profitability of mining.

This is definitely the tail end of a boom period, There is still money to be made but it's not as much as it was, People are still scrambling to buy Nvidia cards and they are going out of stock in a lot of places now so rigs are still being built.
All these extra people are going to bring the profits down to nowt IMO, The only saving grace at the moment is a lot of people just use Nicehash so tend to be limited to the big few like Ethereum, Zcash etc some of the most profitable ones are the smaller coins if you can mine them yourself and sell them before the difficulty gets too high.
Skein had an enormous profit a few weeks/month ago but a lot of people caught on and the profits went right down.

A fair bit of the profit going down is due to the price of Ethereum and Zcash as well , a month or so ago they were close to $400 each after a massive boom of their prices, It's since gone to close to half that, So mining 1 of them is worth close to half what it was a month ago.

Edited by IranianGiraffe (Sat 08-Jul-17 12:29:05)

Standard User Lt_Swan
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Jul-17 14:32:11
Print Post

Is this the Manic Miners thread?

tongue

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
cool
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Jul-17 15:02:13
Print Post

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

Didn't really like that sort of game...

Now with Vodafone
Twitter
YouTube
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Jul-17 18:02:14
Print Post

Shame I didn't know about this before when building my PC, I could have gone higher end if I knew I could essentially pay for it by mining. Feels like it's too late to get in on it now frown
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 09-Jul-17 17:40:02
Print Post

what is "some of the smaller coins" ? smile

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 09-Jul-17 17:40:47
Print Post

not yet no, and now my broadband is down so will probably wait for that to be fixed.

(committed) Sun 09-Jul-17 18:59:53
Print Post

Monacoin, Diamond, Skein, Feathercoin, Sibcoin to name just a few.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 21-Aug-17 06:36:35
Print Post

still not got round to it, ideally I need to know simply the one you use instead of giving me a list. AsI assume you using the most profitable. If its like hash cracking then I will cap my card to 50% TDP limit, as I found is 90% performance for lot less heat and power.

Interesting data here

http://wccftech.com/ethereum-mining-gpu-performance-...

Seems gddr5x is slower than gddr5 for crypto performance.

My 1070 only a bit slower than the new rx vega 64 which is impressive.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 21-Aug-17 06:47:36
Print Post

mate am really lost here.

found this site, but it doesnt say how to register an account

https://ethermine.org/

Can you do a step by step for dummies like me?

How to sign up
What software to use
What boxes to tick in software, configuring etc.
How to get paid etc.

Thanks

currently downloading mist browser which it says is needed to register on exchange and its downloading blocks at a very slow speed, I may check back in at christmas when its done wink

Hopefully you can help me, and I will check back to see if is a guide thanks smile

Edited by Chrysalis (Mon 21-Aug-17 07:02:52)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 21-Aug-17 07:39:28
Print Post

followed this reddit guide.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/comments/6hkfp0...

But when I run the start batch file, it just quits, nothing working the gpu.

ok I had to exclude the exe in HMPA and it starts.

With my GPU at 50% power limit I am hitting 28Mh/s , gpu temps at high 40s, lower than when I was hash cracking with it.

The first startup made pc laggy so I added -ethi 0 switch to batch file and that issue is fixed.

So I am using a online wallet which I hope is ok, didnt really register on an exchange I just followed that reddit guide. So I still have no idea what to do with the stuff I mine when it gets deposited.

Edited by Chrysalis (Mon 21-Aug-17 07:58:47)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 21-Aug-17 10:38:09
Print Post

how long should it take?

I been running now for an hour or 2.

Accepting shares in command log, rejected always 0 so all seems good.

Except if I check on the nanopool website all i see is 0's for all the stats.

ok its updating now, and has data since 8am.

Its looking like I am averaging about 30 Mh/s for about 70 watts power draw (got data from UPS for power draw), Estimated earnings for month 70usd for one gtx 1070 at throttled power usage, seems not bad.

I am sitting here thinking now knowing its going to get harder, but also that I can resell hardware I buy for mining with maybe 10-20% loss or so when selling it. So the earnings would just need to cover that loss and rest be profit. So now find myself analysing the value in pumping up my compute power.

Edited by Chrysalis (Mon 21-Aug-17 11:30:31)

Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Aug-17 12:07:28
Print Post

You should be able to get in the low 30's with your 1070, I have +400 on my memory an 50% power and hitting 31-32 MH/s.

Ethereum is in a good place at the minute but you need to mine 24/7 to make any money with one card so if you plan on gaming it's a waste of time and money really!!!

I send the Eth from my wallet to gdax.com then convert to bitcoin and sell at bittylicious.
I'm currently getting about £12 a week from it.

Edited by jorkila (Mon 21-Aug-17 12:09:53)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 21-Aug-17 17:31:51
Print Post

I game but nowhere near 24/7. In the past month e.g. my PC has done no gaming, so if the next month is the same it will be 24/7 mining.

I am considering buying another 1070 to put in my other machine, as the finances shouldnt assume you have to pay back the full value of the card, as much of that value is reclaimed when selling the card.

1080s are better bang for buck for gaming, but gddr5x seems to heart mining, making the 1070 better than a 1080, I assume a 1080ti beats a 1070 tho.

My memory is overclocked already, I also am not bothered if I get 30 instead of 32, its tiny. The 6 hour reading has now settled at about 28. Most reading I have done considers 30 respectable for a 1070 card, I have this card at 50% power limit, clock speed is around 1700mhz whilst mining on the gpu.

Thanks for the extra info on how you convert to cash.

Are you also using an online wallet? Is information claiming its high risk.

Edited by Chrysalis (Mon 21-Aug-17 17:35:31)

Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Aug-17 20:15:26
Print Post

Yeah I use Mist.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 21-Aug-17 20:31:26
Print Post

mist is offline as far as I know, the reason it was taking up so long is it apparently downloads 40+ gig of data so I aborted it.

I guess you followed a different guide then. smile

(committed) Mon 21-Aug-17 22:31:06
Print Post

The 1080 are bad for mining some things but they are decent for others, The return on investment between a 1070 and 1080 is pretty much exactly the same if you mine the most profitable coin for each card at the time.
I've got 3 1080 and 2 1080ti and they've almost paid off 2 1080 in the 2 months I've been doing it.
1080 returns more than a 1070 but costs more but like I said the ROI ends up being almost the same, The 1080ti beats them both easily but again costs a fair bit more but again mines a fair bit more. Personally If/when I add to the mining cards I'll get more 1080ti as the ROI is almost the same and the best cards hold their prices better I've found.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 22-Aug-17 00:29:57
Print Post

Which coin you use for the 1080 and your ti's?

Also you still making £10 a day as compared to my projected revenue that seems huge. There seems more to this than just blindly mining etherium as your profit per card is like 3x my projected revenue.

I dont recall if jorkilla even mentioned his profits.

nanopool for 29.6 hashrate projected me 65usd for the month.

I guess you hesitant to give specific info as it will harm your profits if we all copy you.

Per day I am projected about £1.50 depending on exchange rates, for 1 1070, does that seem low to you?

I also been experimenting with what affects hashrate.

Interesting ramping the power up past 50% to allow higher clocks not only has low efficiency but it actually has close to zero gain. At 50% power with minimal intensity I get 27Mh, at 100% power its only about 0.3Mh higher.
Overclocking memory further has a visible impact, an extra 100mhz memory clock adds about 1.2Mh
Adjusting the intensity value in Claymore has a large impact, but this also affects useability of PC (assuming you using the mining GPU for desktop as well). Default setting is 8 and PC lags very badly, setting to 0 drops gpu utilisation to 90%, no PC lag, but lose about 6Mh, setting to 4 has regains 5Mh but PC is noticebly less laggy but still laggy, setting to 2 has gpu utilisation at around 97% so tiny headroom, but is enough headroom to have no lag, regains 3Mh over 0. Not tested setting 3 yet.

Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Aug-17 07:48:33
Print Post

I don't use claymore purely because the dev takes a cut of your coin and I don't dual mine mate, I'm using ethminer instead.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 22-Aug-17 08:18:07
Print Post

I can live with a 1% cut smile

how much you made in past month? GBP wise.

(committed) Tue 22-Aug-17 10:34:15
Print Post

I have never mined Etherium with my 1080/1080ti's due to the memory both use it's nowhere near the top of the list profit wise (1080 is around 24hash and a 1080ti around 35 for Ethereum).
With the later AMD cards getting back their speed from new firmware to sort the DAG issue then the difficulty is only going to rise more for Etherium as they are mainly 1 trick pony cards so the return is only going to get lower unless Etherium goes up in price a fair bit (which has gone up around 50% in the last month it;s still $100 down on where it was a few months ago)

I've actually got around £550 the last month although around 20% of that was due to the Bitcoin price as I was holding onto mine as Bitcoin seemed low to me as the market was just correcting itself after the gain. I personally feel Bitcoin is again too high after a massive gain and new record high in the last month so again it's going to correct itself so have sold it all off for now.

I deffo get more than £10 a day (total) from my 5 cards at the moment (averaging around £14-15 without electric costs or £11.50-12.50 with them.
So £1.50 from a 1070 doesn't sound bad.

Power wise my cards work best with around 66% for the 1080 and 75% for the ti's any more than that and I don't feel its worth the boost from the extra heat and stress it puts on the card to keep it cool etc.

I honestly couldn't tell you what coin I'm mining at the time as it can change so often, Until recently tho it was best to mine the newer SIGT coin by far and for a few weeks I was averaging around £15 a day AFTER electric costs were taken off.
The NVIDIA cards are much better for mining IMO as you can mine so many coins with them, All the cards scale up well mining wise as well on most of them, looking at a 1070,1080,1080ti they all have around the same time to break even as each other (around 7 days difference max) so I have no idea why almost everyone got 1070rigs etc as when it comes to selling them off there are going to be soooooooo many 1070 cards on the market, If you started off with a 1070 fair enough but with the ROI being around the same time on all the cards to go with the cheaper option that everyone has purchased (and driven price up on seems daft at the selling off point), Personally I'd rather have a 1080ti to sell off even if it took 7 days longer to break even, At that point I've got a card worth almost twice as much and a top of the range card to sell to gamers and not an average one.

Like I said there are so many coins to mine tho, Ethereum isn't on the 1080 or 1080ti radar at all, to name a few that are currently better.

SIGT
ChainCoin
Skein
Zcash,Zencash (pretty much all the Equihash based coins)
Monacoin
Feathercoin
VertCoin
LBRY
Musicoin

Hell even Monero after the massive price increase after being listed on new exchange

For a 1070 tho it's very different only Zencash and Zcash and SIGN are currently better so it really depends on the card. For me tho I want a card that can do as many coins decently tho as possible so it still makes a nice profit if I have to change to another coin when the difficutly goes up (so coin return goes down).

Saying that the Monero almost price double means that it's way more valuable to mine Monero than Ethereum on AMD cards at the moment so if the AMD guys start mining Monero like they should then Ethereum difficulty could actually drop and help out the 1070 mining Ethereum.

Edited by IranianGiraffe (Tue 22-Aug-17 11:44:07)

Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Aug-17 10:40:17
Print Post

I mined for around a month during the dip and then stopped but I'm currently getting between £12-£13 after selling costs.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 22-Aug-17 16:15:37
Print Post

I dont thin miners are buying much 1070s, the pricing for 1070s has been as low as I have ever seen it indicating demand has dropped off, 1060s are whats currently been flouted around, it seems they actually weirdly flocking for rx vega's which makes no sense to me, but looking at whats selling out that seems to be the pattern.

Glad you gave a bit more info this time round on the coincs, still vague tho wink

I think it sounds like you constantly moving from one coin to another which is why maybe you dont to name the coin you mining on your 1080s right now, not sure if I am going to bother sitting working out regurly which could beat euthorium I rather just set and forget it, but will probably look at it some more over the next few weeks, to see if anything beats euthorium on 1060s and 1070s.

I think the real point when pascal resale values drop is when volta launches.

£550 for 3 cards seems fairy tale land on euthorium for july exchange rates, so still seems something you not revealing. Nanopool is estimating 64usd for the month on my 1070, 3 1070s would make that about 180-200usd, nowhere near the levels you mentioned, and this is with the 50% hike in euthorium value.

Or was that £550 including previously mined coins you was hoarding?

Ahh so you have 5 not 3 cards, makes bit more sense now.

Can you list the card, the coin and earnings per day ? for say last 5 days?

When I google this stuff people just say everything else sucks compared to ethorium including zcash but I think they not sharing as they dont want sheep ruining what they doing.

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 22-Aug-17 16:16:42)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 22-Aug-17 16:16:26
Print Post

seems very low for a month mate.

Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Aug-17 18:07:03
Print Post

lol that's a week laugh
(committed) Tue 22-Aug-17 18:58:29
Print Post

Up until last week nearly everywhere in UK was OOS on 1070 due to the mining and even now a lot of places are out of stock on a lot of them apart from the expensive versions that are like £450 each.

If you go to somewhere like whattomine.com and select your card it will give you a basic idea of whats the most profitable to mine although it is never completely up to date so the figures will never be 100% correct if you select current profit and difficulty.
setting it to the last 7 days on a 1070 tells me that it was better to mine Zclassic than Ethereum (which was 2nd highest).

I honestly can't tell you which coin I mine as it changes quite regularly but I can say that for the majority of the last month it was SIGT and then the rest of the time it would have been all the coins I mentioned before.

Like I said it wasn't £550 for Etherium I have never mined that with my cards, It was a mixture of the coins I mentioned and I got about another £100 from the rise in value of Bitcoin that I was holding. So basically I got about £450 from coins I mined and sold and £100 for the rise of bitcoin on the amount I was holding.

The prices of the cards will drop when Volta launches but they are not out for a while and even then the previous ti cards hold their prices fairly well.

I can't really give you a proper breakdown of the amounts for sure each card earns as they are in 2 rigs going to 1 wallet BUT.........

I currently have 0.0193 Bitcoin in the exchange from selling coins the last 4 days and Bitcoin is currently £3081 so that's around £59.50 in 4 days. ( so around £15 a day although electric costs come to around £2.50 a day so it's around £12.50 a day profit)

Depending on the coin being mined the performance of the cards can be different and so the returns different but I'll give you a few examples

Any Equihash-- (Zcash etc) 1080 does around 500Mh the 1080ti does 700Mh so the 1080ti is 40% better at mining than the 1080 for that. (costs around 30% more),

SIGT-- 1070 does 25Mh , the 1080 does 33Mh and the 1080ti around 47Mh so the 1080ti is 88% better than the 1070 and 42% better than the 1080 at mining SIGT.

LBRY-- 1070 does 270Mh a 1080 360Mh and a 1080ti 470Mh so the 1080ti is 74% better than the 1070 and 30% better than a 1080 for mining LBRY.

The 1080ti costs around 85% more than a 1070 and around 30% more than a 1080 and as you can see for the examples about it can be better or a little worse on the ROI. The difference is at the end of it when youve got the money back you have a 1080ti card to sell if you want rather than a 1070 etc.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 22-Aug-17 21:01:59
Print Post

whattomine is excellent, thanks for this information.

The issue is how do you get by the minimum cash out problem?

Jorkila says he made £15 in a week, I dont know if he is still using nanopool, but on my nanopool account I cannot cash out such a small amount.

You said you dont mine into a pool, does that also give you more flexibility in that you can basically cash out anything you mined when you want?

I can see on the 1070 etherium is not the best but the best is not much better, maybe 10-15%. the 1080ti is weaker for mining eth than the 1070 but the other coins have a much bigger jump on the 1080ti I assume able to use its hardware better.

Best coin for 1070 is $2.53 revenue
Best coin for 1080 is $2.95 revenue
Best coin for 1080ti is $3.84 revenue

guys if you want to view my stats on nanopool then look at https://eth.nanopool.org/account/0xa40744655e0cb77ea...

Hopefully jorkilla you share yours also £15 seems high for a week, if you are actually using nanopool you must be getting an impressive hash rate.

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 22-Aug-17 21:03:13)

(committed) Tue 22-Aug-17 21:54:44
Print Post

I mine into pools, I just don't mine Ethereum.

I use Suprnova.cc 90% of the time and when setup you can decide the payout amount for each coin (although you pay a small amount of coin as fee each time)

The 1080ti is just simply more powerful with higher clock speeds etc and so can mine faster because of it.

The amounts will always be changing on the cards/coins per day but the 1080ti will always be above the 1070/1080 because it just mines faster.

I don't have a minimum cash out issue because I can set it to what I want at suprnova but even if I couldn't with the 5 cards it only takes a day to mine 0.05 Zcash etc and that's well over any minimums I've seen.
The other coins are worth a lot less and as such you can mine a fair few, Skein and SIGT, for instance, I set the minimum to 50 of each as I mine them quickly.
Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Aug-17 23:48:52
Print Post

I'm using Nanopool and actually said that I get around £12 a week mate @31Mh/s.

I have my minimum payout set to .05 which you can change in settings on the website.

https://eth.nanopool.org/account/0xbf0ef370769523fd1... I have stopped it for a few minutes a few times today though.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 23-Aug-17 03:04:13
Print Post

ok

by the way regarding claymore, analysing how he takes his fee it can murder your rates.

It switches to devfee mode every so often, and because you can get shares in clusters, hence my wavy graph, if it goes into devfee mode on a fast share surge the mining rate will get murdered for that period of time.

Also I compared the affect of enabling the -nofee flag (disables the fees at some optimsiation reduction)
During this testing eth and sia dual mining and eth on max intensity.

I was with the devfee mode enabled getting about 30.2 eth and 600 sia
Just turned it off, and eth is hit a little about 29 but sia much more in terms of % down to about 570

After spending some time dual mining I think it isnt worth it, all the altcoins on claymore have no signs of rising value, nanopool estimates is about 8usd for the month if I maintain 600Mh on it.

However to keep eth at 30 or higher whilst mining sia takes some doing, as you know I previously had lowered eth intensity so PC is useable and also helps keep power draw down, I had to raise intensity to 8 otherwise raising sia intensity to hit 600 murders eth hash rates, at 30/600 rates my power draw is 110 watts instead of 70 watts, PC is very laggy and card is running 7C hotter, all for maybe 3-4 usd profit per month. Since eth projected rates go down slightly even in this config and is extra power costs.

It was an experiment but will go back to single coin mining, and now going to try ethminer and Genoil which seems to be rated quite well.

I also observed when you first start claymore, the share rate is great for 15-30 mins then stays lower for hours.

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 23-Aug-17 03:05:08)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 23-Aug-17 03:07:57
Print Post

see this, 6 shares in 12 mins after starting up, all the spikes on my graph are from when claymore first starts.

Can see also 2 shares 22 secs apart.

GPU0 t=59C fan=54%
ETH: 08/23/17-03:05:20 - SHARE FOUND - (GPU 0)
ETH: Share accepted (47 ms)!
ETH: 08/23/17-03:05:35 - New job from eth-eu1.nanopool.org:9999
ETH - Total Speed: 28.840 Mh/s, Total Shares: 6, Rejected: 0, Time: 00:12
ETH: GPU0 28.840 Mh/s
SC - Total Speed: 576.809 Mh/s, Total Shares: 5, Rejected: 0
SC: GPU0 576.809 Mh/s
GPU0 t=59C fan=54%
ETH: 08/23/17-03:05:42 - SHARE FOUND - (GPU 0)
ETH: Share accepted (47 ms)!

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 23-Aug-17 03:10:33)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 23-Aug-17 03:24:36
Print Post

after another startup 3 shares in quick succession, I need to get this automated shutdown and restart every 10-15 mins in task scheduler.

Setting DAG epoch #139 for GPU0 done
ETH: 08/23/17-03:22:30 - SHARE FOUND - (GPU 0)
ETH: Share accepted (32 ms)!
ETH: 08/23/17-03:22:37 - New job from eth-eu1.nanopool.org:9999
ETH - Total Speed: 27.672 Mh/s, Total Shares: 1, Rejected: 0, Time: 00:00
ETH: GPU0 27.672 Mh/s
GPU0 t=55C fan=50%
ETH: 08/23/17-03:22:59 - New job from eth-eu1.nanopool.org:9999
ETH - Total Speed: 27.187 Mh/s, Total Shares: 1, Rejected: 0, Time: 00:00
ETH: GPU0 27.187 Mh/s
ETH: 08/23/17-03:23:11 - SHARE FOUND - (GPU 0)
ETH: Share accepted (31 ms)!
GPU0 t=57C fan=51%
ETH: 08/23/17-03:23:26 - SHARE FOUND - (GPU 0)

Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Aug-17 07:34:14
Print Post

What are you running your memory at?
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 23-Aug-17 21:03:06
Print Post

4452 is whats reported in msi. Not sure yet if I am willing to push it higher on this card.

I am giving you that instead of just saying +400 because my memory is also factory overclocked by palit, so the actual overclock over stock is more than 400.

Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Aug-17 21:16:27
Print Post

+400 gives me 4404 with no issues.
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Aug-17 21:16:47
Print Post

All this rigamarole sounds like hard work for those profits. I wonder if most of the people who do it now aren't the ones paying the electric bill.... crazy
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Aug-17 21:19:59
Print Post

after another startup 3 shares in quick succession, I need to get this automated shutdown and restart every 10-15 mins in task scheduler.

Setting DAG epoch #139 for GPU0 done
ETH: 08/23/17-03:22:30 - SHARE FOUND - (GPU 0)
ETH: Share accepted (32 ms)!
ETH: 08/23/17-03:22:37 - New job from eth-eu1.nanopool.org:9999
ETH - Total Speed: 27.672 Mh/s, Total Shares: 1, Rejected: 0, Time: 00:00
ETH: GPU0 27.672 Mh/s
GPU0 t=55C fan=50%
ETH: 08/23/17-03:22:59 - New job from eth-eu1.nanopool.org:9999
ETH - Total Speed: 27.187 Mh/s, Total Shares: 1, Rejected: 0, Time: 00:00
ETH: GPU0 27.187 Mh/s
ETH: 08/23/17-03:23:11 - SHARE FOUND - (GPU 0)
GPU0 t=57C fan=51%
ETH: 08/23/17-03:23:26 - SHARE FOUND - (GPU 0)
Right about now, I'm thinking scratch cards sound like much less hassle, and much more excitement.
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Aug-17 21:51:01
Print Post

Fuckaduck!!!
Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Aug-17 22:23:12
Print Post

Somewhere between £8-£9 profit a week for a single card isn't too much hassle laugh
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Aug-17 06:52:29
Print Post

Just as long as the electric bill isn't 1,000,000 Euros a month.... crazy

It's a numbers game at the end of the day, so I doubt he needs the hash rate to be particularly high with ten thousand cards!
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Aug-17 08:08:06
Print Post

So if you spent, say 5k on a 10 card rig, you could make 4-5k a year without too much of a problem?
Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Aug-17 08:16:28
Print Post

As long as the value of the coins remain then yes mate, obviously you'd spend that first year recouping the cost of the rig!
(committed) Thu 24-Aug-17 16:07:25
Print Post

At current prices yes, That's the reason why people are mining, At the moment you get your return back within a year and then you've basically got a free card. (4 months or so ago the ROI on an AMD 480 was just 3 months and that's the reason why they were OOS everywhere and going for silly money)

The profit has been constantly going down tho (although it's slowing down now) but if the prices stayed the same then you would get back what you put in by a year easily.

If you manage to mine the right coin at the right time you can make the money back much quicker.
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Aug-17 15:49:08
Print Post

Might give it a go instead of selling the remnants of my rig. Could stick the 380 in there until I see what the crack is. I know the 380 won't be very profitable, but as I own it already...
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Aug-17 15:51:16
Print Post

Thanks.

I'll give you an honourable mention when I become an Etherwhatsit millionaire. grin
(committed) Fri 25-Aug-17 18:25:29
Print Post

LOL thanks.

Your right with a 380 not being the most profitable card but mining it at the moment clears around 75p a day with Monero coin or 50p a day with Ethereum (if both on the full 24hrs) so it's a decent return on an order card. (I've got a 380DD sat in my drawer I'm unable to use because the 1080 and 1080ti take up all my pci-e power leads, talk about 1st world problems)
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-Aug-17 18:32:49
Print Post

Feel like I am missing out on some easy money here! If I had known about this when building my rig last year I could have gone for a higher end GPU and made back that difference quite easily it seems. Bet if I upgraded now the market would crash tongue
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Aug-17 18:34:29
Print Post

Don't upgrade just yet then. I want to earn a few quid before you wreck the place.... grin
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-Aug-17 20:26:30
Print Post

Too late mate got 8 1080ti's on the way grin
Standard User Lt_Swan
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Aug-17 20:42:04
Print Post

How much would a GTX 980 earn??

Swanny
cool
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Aug-17 23:40:16
Print Post

http://mininghwcomparison.com/list/index.php?brand=n...
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Aug-17 23:42:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by astateoftrance:
Too late mate got 8 1080ti's on the way grin
Pffft! Lightweight.... tongue
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 26-Aug-17 08:11:02
Print Post

edited - wrong info

Edited by Chrysalis (Sat 26-Aug-17 08:12:07)

Standard User Lt_Swan
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Aug-17 10:19:54
Print Post

MSI GTX 980 1328 7010 Ubuntu 14.04 Cuda 364.15 Ethereum 22Mhs

I have no idea what that means :/

Swanny
cool
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Aug-17 14:38:51
Print Post

Haha! Me neither to be honest. smile
(committed) Sat 26-Aug-17 14:39:52
Print Post

Basically the speed you can expect is 22Mh mining Ethereum which is around the same profit as a 380 currently.
(committed) Sat 26-Aug-17 14:42:37
Print Post

Monero and Zcash have flown up in price in the last 24hrs.

Monero gone from $50 to $145 in under a week, ($50 last 24hrs). Zcash up $50 last 24hrs as well.

Monero mining with a 380 is worth around £1.20 a day at the moment which is crazy.

Edited by IranianGiraffe (Sat 26-Aug-17 15:05:44)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 26-Aug-17 16:34:33
Print Post

yeah think I am gonna switch to zcash after I hit my ethereum min payout which is soon.

Problem is you cannot cashout until you hit minimum so can miss spikes.

Edited by Chrysalis (Sat 26-Aug-17 16:34:47)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 30-Aug-17 03:07:45
Print Post

seems ethereum has almost same value as june now smile

I find myself hoarding my coins waiting for more profit instead of selling hmm. This is where I think the real money can be made, as like with normal trading, what gpu mining allows tho is to provide funds for trading without direct cash injection.

Those who had lots of ethereum last year I bet have made a killing with the current value.

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 30-Aug-17 03:10:36)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 30-Aug-17 21:37:41
Print Post

just sold some at 425 USD valuation, 15 mins prior was valued at 343 USD. Etherium spikes a lot and pretty easy to take advantage of it.

Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Aug-17 22:02:23
Print Post

How did you make 343 so quickly, or have I wrongly assumed you'd only just started mining over the last few weeks?
(committed) Wed 30-Aug-17 23:20:15
Print Post

I think what he was saying is Ethereum was valued at $343 each and he sold part of some (when you mine the bigger more valuable coins you don't mine a whole coin in one go it will be a really small amount like 0.0004 etc) so I'm guessing he sold say 0.05 of Ethereum at $425 value so $21.45 when 15mins earlier the same amount was worth $17.15.

I hope that makes sense.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 31-Aug-17 11:32:47
Print Post

I now have 3 gpus chugging away, brought another couple as an investment.

but yeah I didnt sell a entire eth, was 0.1 eth as an experiment as my first transaction.

I am also considering buying coins directly just for trading purposes as well. Lots of money to be made here on trading activities.

Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Aug-17 20:16:32
Print Post

Ah, that's much clearer thanks. smile
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Aug-17 20:23:34
Print Post

What GPUs did you manage to buy?
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 31-Aug-17 20:45:44
Print Post

I brought a couple of 1070 zotac minis. I will likely sell them before volta hits whilst they have high resale value.

I figured that ethereum (and other coins) could crash at any given time so its best to maximise monthly revenue whilst its possible.

I didnt go with 1080tis because I felt the extra mining capability was less than the extra capital outlay for each card, and also that it was above what I was willing to spend, AMD cards at the time I got the 1070s very badly priced. Although the new rx vega 56s may have now changed that now as they are priced reasonably.

The issue with the 56s is of course the much higher power draw, meaning more PSU power will be needed adding to capital outlay. Although an extra £30 or so on a PSU vs PSU needed for 2 1070s probably is offset by extra profits on the 56s, not the same as the 1080ti calculations with an extra £330 per card.

Note you can flash a 64 bios on a 56 to make the HBM2 performance match, so if you thinking of buying some gpus the 56s look a good bet now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t7urmTuSCs

So about an extra 7mH which I think would increase with a 64 bios to maybe an extra 10Mh about an extra 33% hashrate for about 8% increase in cost per card over a 1070.

Also that on AMD cards there is better coins to mine than ETH as well. I think 1070 is the best nvidia card to get (not in agreement with giraffe I know), but the vega 56 seems a better bet from my perch. Dont get non ti 1080s tongue

Edited by Chrysalis (Thu 31-Aug-17 21:01:20)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 01-Sep-17 22:54:46
Print Post

Here's a thing https://steemit.com/miners/@drotika/6-gpu-mining-rig...
(committed) Sat 02-Sep-17 00:00:51
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yeah I've seen 13 Rig GPUs , The heat they generate must be crazy as the 3 I have in one rig heat up the room like crazy.
Standard User Lt_Swan
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Sep-17 13:18:45
Print Post

Saves on your heating bill then smile

Swanny
cool
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 05-Sep-17 09:30:21
Print Post

china has sparked a panic, value is nosediving.

(committed) Tue 05-Sep-17 14:49:13
Print Post

The market was due a correction anyway especially after a huge increase the previous days.
Profit hasn't really changed.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 05-Sep-17 18:56:57
Print Post

DMD looks juicy but seems is no working pools because V3 is about to be launched?

(committed) Tue 05-Sep-17 23:58:34
Print Post

Yeah, it was between £5-£8 a day on a 1080ti for a good few days but all the ones what I could find were stopped because of the change to V3 like you said.
There is still 15GH's being mined somewhere but I couldn't find where when I looked so I gave up.
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Sep-17 08:08:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by IranianGiraffe:
I'm waiting on Vega before I build my new PC, I've got an ultra wide freesync monitor so need an AMD card as I'm not paying the premium that the relevant G-sync monitor costs along with the card.
I've decided to wait as well now. I'm not paying these premiums for a GPU. I've decided to pick up a VR headset first and then wait for the prices to drop back again. Should be spending a race evening with oculus rift within the next couple of weeks, when my mate comes back from his travels. Just want to be sure I don't blow a chunky from motion sickness before finally committing!

Only trouble is, I flogged my 390X in readiness for a GTX1080 before I went on holiday, and now the prices are even more stupid. So basically I'm left with my R9 380 4GB to tie me over in the meantime. Hopefully it will run VR alongside the 4690k. You don't need half the effects with racing games, and there'll be screen door to look past anyway. So fingers crossed...
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 18-Sep-17 18:40:12
Print Post

the vega 56 prices werent too bad at the time I made my post I dont know if they have gone up since tho.

There may be a drop in nvidia prices for 1070s as it seems a 1070ti is coming which will push the 1070 down but I dont expect any downward movement for AMD any time soon.

(committed) Mon 18-Sep-17 22:16:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by mrnelster:
In reply to a post by IranianGiraffe:
I'm waiting on Vega before I build my new PC, I've got an ultra wide freesync monitor so need an AMD card as I'm not paying the premium that the relevant G-sync monitor costs along with the card.
I've decided to wait as well now. I'm not paying these premiums for a GPU. I've decided to pick up a VR headset first and then wait for the prices to drop back again. Should be spending a race evening with oculus rift within the next couple of weeks, when my mate comes back from his travels. Just want to be sure I don't blow a chunky from motion sickness before finally committing!

Only trouble is, I flogged my 390X in readiness for a GTX1080 before I went on holiday, and now the prices are even more stupid. So basically I'm left with my R9 380 4GB to tie me over in the meantime. Hopefully it will run VR alongside the 4690k. You don't need half the effects with racing games, and there'll be screen door to look past anyway. So fingers crossed...

Yeah I've had a few goes at VR on racing games and it was much easier to stomach than other games, With most other games I would get a headache on VR after a while (same with watching 3d) but it would go after an hour or 2, On the racing games I didn't seem to suffer at all.
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Sep-17 19:38:03
Print Post

The Oculus Rift is at 500 quid including touch controllers now, but I don't really need the controllers. There are a few other VR headsets on the horizon, some standalone and with better room/fit. Most of them look like a rip off of the PSVR in terms of the headband, which means they should all be more comfortable than the Rift and Vive.

https://www.cnet.com/news/windows-mixed-reality-head...
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Sep-17 20:02:49
Print Post

I don't know if I'd go with a 56 or a 1070 right now. Either are more than good enough for VR, and most likely 4k30 in games other than driving, would suffice for me.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to