Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User veritasme
(newbie) Sun 28-May-17 13:23:36
Print Post

Ps4 pro v xbox one s

[link to this post]

Hi
New here so here goes
Had PS4 Pro and playing skyrim digital edition was getting real high pitched fan noise?
Changed to xbox one s, same digital version, silent in every way plus picture was sharper ( I have a 55" Sony UHD Bravia tv, stunning pictures, but on PS4 Pro, softer images than the xbox.
I'm very technical so all set up 100% OK.
Reason for my post was to ask if others had this problem?
Game where I bought the PS4 Pro says fan noise is not a fault so will not exchange it ( company policy)
Trading standards officers seem to agree with game sadly.

Edited by veritasme (Sun 28-May-17 13:24:54)

Standard User IranianGiraffe
(committed) Sun 28-May-17 16:10:36
Print Post

Re: Ps4 pro v xbox one s

[re: veritasme] [link to this post]

I don't have a PS4 pro myself but I do have a mate who does and he had noise issues as well (does seem to be pretty common the the PS4 pro)

Do you have it in a well ventilated area?, My friend had it under his tv in a tv cabinet and it made a racket, Moving it out into the open where the hot air was able to disperse easier and so it doesn't have to ramp up the fan speeds to cool it down, It's still not super quiet but it's miles better.

Is it just this game or does it happen on other games?.

If it's struggling to cool the IGU then I'm wondering if it's limiting the graphics some as the XB1s really shouldn't have a sharper picture unless you have some mods on?, There are a few texture mods which make the game look a lot better on xbox and I don't think Sony allowed mods on the texture side of things ( I could be wrong on the Sony mods but they deffo limited areas in where mods could be done).
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-May-17 21:40:08
Print Post

My Pro is quieter than my PS4, though I often imagined I'd got a noisy launch model.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-May-17 21:42:41
Print Post

How technical? You only need to plug a HDMI lead in.... tongue
Standard User veritasme
(newbie) Sun 28-May-17 23:37:44
Print Post

[re: IranianGiraffe] [link to this post]

Cheers for the replies.
Yes the PS4 Pro was in a well ventilated position right in front of a wall vent which give a lot of air from outside to keep it cool.
The fuzzy images were on all games, not just on digital download but disk games too
I asked game to check it out but they just look at it on a counter in the shop on a monitor older than me and say it's fine so no help there.
Trying games side by side I found stuff like Tell Tale games are brighter, sharper on xbox one s as well as big budget games.
Anyway, decided to get rid of playstation and stick solely with xbox, to that end got Scorpio on pre-order and looking forward to getting hands on the console mid November roughly.

Edited by veritasme (Sun 28-May-17 23:38:46)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 29-May-17 02:59:06
Print Post

the xbox one S has a lower TPD GPU so in short it needs less cooling and hence quieter.

The ps4 pro is very compact (as are all consoles) and this damages airflow, to compensate fans have to ramp up high to shift air.

My ps4 base is pretty quiet compared to last gen consoles both my xbox360 and ps3 are a lot noisier than the ps4, however I have never been close to a running ps4 pro.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-May-17 10:34:01
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

It's about optimisation too. My PS4 pro is in a relatively enclosed TV cabinet, but without a door. It does ramp up on some games, but take Norizon Zero Dawn for example, and it barely raises too much of a racket. If I had the room to upright it by the TV, I suspect it would be even better, and that is a stunnuingly detailed game, even in comparison to Skyrim.

My launch model PS4 made a right row with most COD titles, though others here claimed never to have had an issue with their launch models, so who knows. I suspect that is down to optimisation too. All I would say is, that the Scorpio won't be any quieter at full Chuff, unless it is big, as would any other console sized enclosure. It goes with the territory.

Something very odd about the picture quality isssue disappearing on a "smaller screen" in Game though.

The username is not lost on me; I'm not sure I buy it.
Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-May-17 11:57:10
Print Post

My PS4 Pro has an occasional high pitched fan noise when playing more demanding games but if I move it slightly it goes away so I suspect something or just the console itself is slightly off balance!
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-May-17 08:22:07
Print Post

[re: jorkila] [link to this post]

I think mine has an overly noisy hard drive, but I haven't decided whether I should swap it out just yet. Paranoia and all that.

The Scorpio will have to be phenomenal for me to want one, as I've planned my next rig to be the true 4K machine. If I were used to previous Xbox exclusives, a Scorpio might be tempting, but my love hate relationship with the Xbox controller saw to that, as you know!

That said, if it was compatible with my XIM 4 box, I could perhaps eventually be tempted.
  Print Thread

Jump to