Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BUSHMAN
(newbie) Sun 29-Oct-17 04:52:08
Print Post

Two disabilities one is myself and the other aluminium

[link to this post]

As far as my own disability it been long standing and thatís just life, that said the time I have and the internet has got me back in gaming which I confess was way back before game were even anywhere near the internet. Iíd take my kit and a group would take turns of winner stops on so get good...
Anyway I digress, after having FTTC since it arrived at the bottom of the street 200yard ish Iíve been complaining to bt about throughput issues and the lag on my games. After about five years of complaints an engineer lifted the underground cable covers to try and get a possible reason and then bringing the street plans up only to find that the water filled holes where the cables were are all aluminium lines which canít take the high frequencies of the 80/20 line. It all measures good but under load were time sensitive data is required it fails and then the dslam sets error correction via interleaved path which gets deeper as time goes on until the speed drops to a level and then Iíd get s engineer that resets it and says there no chance theyíll change the cable so super fast internet is not for all as my system can not handle more than a small load or it just freezes or is very slow for more than one user.
With no hope for bt to get the lines done can anyone suggest anything.
Thanks
Dave.
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Oct-17 08:49:03
Print Post

Re: Two disabilities one is myself and the other aluminium

[re: BUSHMAN] [link to this post]

Hi Dave

As I've always understood it (rightly or wrongly) your existing line at the original cabinet, will be linked to the fibre in the new cabinet via copper.

So assuming that the they haven't found a cable joint between copper and aluminium, in one of those water filled holes (that's not quite clear from your post), some questions you need answering are:

1. Did they know your line was aluminium at the point of planning the cabinet installation.
2. Are you the only aluminimium line connected to that cabinet, and if yes have others complained.
3. Is it current policy to connect aluminium cabling to the FTTC service, for minimum improvement.
4. If not, why did the engineer not notice the aluminium at the point of your FTTC installation.
5. Is the line to your house ducted.

There's been much talk about aluminium performance with VDSL, but many would claim that the condition of the line to be more important over short distance, than the cable construction, and you already mention water filled holes etc. If you had a quality problem with your phone line, you would get the fault fixed or a new drop put in. So it's not impossible to force Openreach to act, but your ISP will have to be the ones to enforce it, otherwise you'll be continually be quoted the minimum acceptable speeds of an "UP TO" service.

My advice would be to see if any of your neighbours have similar issues, and push your complaints to someone nearer the top of BT directly. Going through the support functions will likely never get you to a satisfactory conclusion.
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(experienced) Sun 29-Oct-17 10:14:38
Print Post

My line was mainly aluminium to the exchange as well and I also had major issues in that my line would go down when someone called on the landline, luckily I was able to finally get fibre to the cabinet a few years ago and although it still isn't the best it doesn't go down when the phone rings as that issue must be between the cabinet and the exchange which is no longer used due to the fibre run so I feel your pain with fibre.

The only thing I can think of is FoD (fibre on demand), it's not available everywhere but it is available in a lot of places, The problem is the cost as it involves installing fibre all the way to your home (so doesn't use the landline at all).

All depends on how far away you are but your looking at £1200+ for activation (depends on distance to fibre node) and then £165 each month for 36months (then you can drop to the normal amounts)

There may be excess construction charges as well but you would be told of these in the survey they do before any work would go ahead and if you didn't want to pay then you could cancel your order.

At the end of it tho you would end up with fibre to the home so no other lines interfering with your line with crosstalk etc.

It's expensive tho and most people won't pay the high prices but I know a few people who were happy to pay it as they see it as an investment for the future as most estate agents say you can get a premium for the house if it has full fibre.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 31-Oct-17 14:55:54
Print Post

Cross posting on here is not allowed, especially when you don't state that it has been posted on another part of the forum. You now have 2 separate threads running with potential responses on both.
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 31-Oct-17 20:25:07
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Cross posting on here is not allowed, especially when you don't state that it has been posted on another part of the forum. You now have 2 separate threads running with potential responses on both.
Why not link to the other forum, and save us who tried to help from searching?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Nov-17 08:46:34
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Just click on the users name on the post and view all posts - when I looked they had only made 2.
  Print Thread

Jump to