Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dwg1
(newbie) Sun 10-Dec-17 13:22:10
Print Post

Lag on Sky fibre

[link to this post]

Hi all, does anyone know of a way to stop the lags I am experiencing on Sky fibre. I was previously on BT and everything was fine. I have tried changing to Google's DNS servers, other devices are fine, and I have great network speeds, it's just this annoying lag, which zaps almost all of the pleasure out of my online gaming experience. All suggestions welcome smile
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(experienced) Sun 10-Dec-17 16:26:11
Print Post

Re: Lag on Sky fibre

[re: dwg1] [link to this post]

What's your ping mate?, Also is it the same at different points during the day.

Also are any ports you require open as you've changed ISP.

Edited by IranianGiraffe (Sun 10-Dec-17 16:27:13)

Standard User dwg1
(newbie) Mon 11-Dec-17 22:46:04
Print Post

[re: IranianGiraffe] [link to this post]

My ping is pretty constant around the 25 mark. I don't have any issues with connections, just the lag...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Dec-17 22:51:31
Print Post

Do you mean hits not registering etc, or screen judder and rubber banding? Are you gaming on console?
Standard User dwg1
(newbie) Tue 12-Dec-17 00:39:17
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Rubber banding on a PS4, any ideas smile
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Dec-17 07:20:23
Print Post

How are you connected, wired, wireless, home plugs?

Rubber banding is the host server [peer to peer or dedicated] and the client [your PS4] catching up with each other within the game environment. Unless everyone is complaining about the problem in-game, that would normally point to drops in your inbound or outbound connection. Perhaps buffer bloat in your router, or on an external hop somewhere.

Remember that your 25ms ping response is not necessarily indicative of the in game latency, depending on the host server location.

Are you playing with people on your friends list from another country. If so, are they inviting you into their game?

Have you spoken to Sky about it? If it's their router they should be able to check for buffer bloat, and or QOS settings. Mentioning buffer bloat might get your call elevated to someone who knows what they're talking about. Might... crazy

Use the speed tester on this site (here) and afterwards go to the detailed results page to get an indication of your connection quality [up and down].
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Dec-17 21:11:47
Print Post

My kids complain the same. Using the Sky Q router and a MSI Gaming Laptop (wireless) and Lenovo Legion Y520 Gaming Tower (wired), playing as a team of two in the same room, they often can't see each other, or one sees something the other doesn't, which then appears! I blame the wifi on the router, it drops the connection to the phones in the house, The PC often shows similar issues, which must be the router as the kids have fiddled with the PC Settings and changed the gaming options to get a better ping.

When my eldest looses his cool, he says its the router or Sky as at his mums (she has VM), he has no issues. It's likely to be buffer bloat, or a [censored] update on the router.

The kids play WoT, WoW, CS:GO, WoT Blitz amongst others and they often get pings into the hundreds, which kills the gameplay.

Sky Facebook Chat is painfully slow and when I called them, he wanted pictures of the router position and then told me off for pressing the reset button....

Steve
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Dec-17 22:12:31
Print Post

[re: blfamily] [link to this post]

The optimal ping [some would say] is around 80-90ms. Just slow enough to give you an excellent advantage, but not enough to cause stutter or rubber banding. Well, not on your own screen anyway. smirk

People forget how lag switches work, and constantly strive for the lowest ping possible. They're being unscrupulously mislead by ISP tag lines.
Standard User jorkila
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Dec-17 09:06:49
Print Post

Yeah definitely no advantage in online gaming with a mega low ping.
My ping is generally in the low to mid teens and I can definitely tell when someone gets a leg up on me due to their [censored] connection and lag compensation is in full swing!!

Edited by jorkila (Tue 19-Dec-17 13:23:40)

Print Thread

Jump to