Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-Dec-17 22:39:29
Print Post

Nekopara V Neko-nin Exheart

[link to this post]

Finally managed to get around to buying the (currently) complete Nekopara series. As you all know I did a quick review of Nekonin Ex-heart around September and had hoped to be able to do a comparison between the two at that, but alas, it didn't work out. Therefore, it's had to wait until now.

Storyline
Neko-nin is (except for a couple of places, namely when the protagonist has trouble decoding a pictogram and the final fight sequence), generally light-hearted and quite funny. Nekopara, whilst having funny moments, is generally more emotional, especially regarding Milk

Societal Problems
Both VN's cover societal problems with regards to catgirls (in Nekonin, it's one of the reasons why the protagonist gets attacked at the end), whilst Nekopara covers it all in a fair amount of detail (and the consequences of breaking the rules) - even when catgirls are fully integrated, there are still places that they aren't allowed to go (and don't feel safe going on their own). In Volume 3, it also deals with general and personal prejudices (the protagonist nearly gets into a fight when his catgirls are insulted). Hypersexuality is also covered (one of the sadder sections)

It's a bit like Alien Nation in that regard...

Characters
In Nekonin, with the except of Tama and Yuri (who are - as you would expect - totally in love with the protagonist), most of the characters don't particularly like him (including his mother, although it could be insinuated that she has her reasons). It's only towards the end of the DLC's that they start to like him, and by which time Yuri has solved her problems with her sister.

With Nekopara, all the characters (including the protagonist) have pretty deep-rooted problems: Fear of abandonment, rejection, jealousy, regret and a whole host of other problems.

In both you do have to wonder how idiotic the protagonist can be, especially when they should be able to see what's going to happen. In Nikonin, the protagonist is generally kind-hearted, especially after getting used to his situation. In Nikopara, he can come across as something between cold and indifferent (especially at the start), with his sister having to sometimes offer advice, although he does care for the catgirls.

In the OVA, he does come off as nicer person though.

Now with Vodafone
YouTube

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Mon 01-Jan-18 03:42:35)

Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jan-18 10:46:18
Print Post

Re: Nekopara V Neko-nin Exheart

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

Never really been my bag, but my wife got me a little 4k android box for Christmas and one of my daughters commandeered it before lunchtime. Ever since, I have been forced to listen to Japanese manga series in the background, whilst gaming at the other end of the room!

Mainly “One Piece” at the moment. Not unwatchable, but an eccentric and excitable lead character - made out of rubber...

There are 17 series...

crazy
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jan-18 12:05:11
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Anime can be weird smile A lot can (especially by those in the US) can be seen overly sexualised (which is the whole point of both Boku no Kanojo ga Majimesugiru Sho-[censored] na Ken and especially Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai), and violent (like Noragami and especially the last two fights in Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism)

It has been said that the Japanese prefer more realistic endings than what we are used to - the "Disney Effect" (there are no really happy endings in Tokyo Dark - someone loses no matter what; the cats in Nekopara have to deal with society whilst in Nekonin it's Ronin ninjas)

Its probably good that there are now alternative channels to see these, as they would never be allowed on terrestrial TV smile

Ah, it's censored a bit of the name in Boku.. smile

Now with Vodafone
YouTube

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Mon 01-Jan-18 12:16:19)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jan-18 14:03:37
Print Post

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

I loved Battle of the Planets. Does that count? smirk
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jan-18 14:13:52
Print Post

Always thought that was badly animated...

Now with Vodafone
YouTube
Standard User Lt_Swan
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jan-18 14:44:12
Print Post

I used to watch that laugh

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
cool
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jan-18 15:55:14
Print Post

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

Never can quite remember what it was all about though?! Like a Power Rangers cartoon style.
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Jan-18 16:59:44
Print Post

Something like that... Based on a Japanese anime, but modified for US sensibilities...

Now with Vodafone
YouTube
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Jan-18 12:51:19
Print Post

Some videos :

Nekonin Exheart
Nekopara and a sad bit

Now with Vodafone
YouTube

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Tue 02-Jan-18 21:06:13)

Print Thread

Jump to