General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

These posts have been archived and can no longer be replied to or modified.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zebedeee
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Oct-09 13:00:00
Print Post

What is the regulation depth of a BT underground cable ?

[link to this post]

Today I had some Leylandii trees taken out along my boundary, and along with the tree roots came half the cable. BT say that the damage is down to me, but the lady did say that the cable had to be at the regulated depth, and protected, but she didn't say what the "regulation depth" was ?

I'm not sure how this cable could have been avoided - it was only about 1 foot down, and although it was a lightly armoured cable, there was no other protection. Does anyone know what the regulations say ?

Sending this via my Orange 3G dongle frown

Home ADSL: Sky Max LLU 3864kbps down, 625kbps up
Business ADSL:
Andrews & Arnold migrated on 11-9-2009 Stats to follow
Orange 3G Business Everywhere Mobile BB 1200kbps down, 320kbps up
Stats shown are recent measurements (same premises)
A member of the ever-growing "I hate BT" Group on Facebook
Standard User b4dger
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Oct-09 13:16:15
Print Post

Re: What is the regulation depth of a BT underground cable ?

[re: zebedeee] [link to this post]

Quick - fill it all back in, plant a few small things and then report a line problem! wink

-------------------------------------------
Freeola[EntaNet]
Hmmm...
SNR: Netgear DG834>2Wire 2700>Thomson ST585v6 My Router Experience
Standard User panda
(member) Mon 12-Oct-09 13:18:38
Print Post

As far as I'm aware, there are no regulations concerning a mimimum depth for buried services (not that it means there aren't any, just I don't know of any).

In fact, the The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 put the onus on the 'digger' to check for utilities before carrying out work.

This says:
The Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2007 (CDM 2007) came into force on 6 April 2007, and place legal duties upon individuals or corporations to ensure that they are acting responsibly with regard to matters of health and safety. Beginning excavation works in areas that may contain unseen services, without having taken measures to minimise the risk of striking apparatus is a breach of the regulations, and can be pursued under law.

More info here.

-----------------------------
Eats shoots and leaves.

Edited by panda (Mon 12-Oct-09 13:19:44)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User systemx
(committed) Mon 12-Oct-09 13:20:29
Print Post

Off hand it is 350mm for telecom cables, and 250mm for cable tv. but it would depend on how long they have been there as I'm sure that differant regs applied at one time. Have a google for Openreach new build regs. It sounds expensive and you may now have a reason to really hate BT

Edited by systemx (Mon 12-Oct-09 13:40:43)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Oct-09 13:57:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by zebedeee:
Today I had some Leylandii trees taken out along my boundary, and along with the tree roots came half the cable. BT say that the damage is down to me, but the lady did say that the cable had to be at the regulated depth, and protected, but she didn't say what the "regulation depth" was ?
You're not having much luck with Broadband are you?

Sigh.

On the plus side maybe it will finally result in your line being properly fixed - I just hope it doesn't cost you too much frown

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User zebedeee
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Oct-09 14:23:56
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

BT Openreach say that they will pass the costs on to the contractor doing the work, and not me. However, I don't think they will have a leg to stand on, with the cable being less than 1 foot down, with no duct or other means of protecting the cable.

Home ADSL: Sky Max LLU 3864kbps down, 625kbps up
Business ADSL:
Andrews & Arnold migrated on 11-9-2009 Stats to follow
Orange 3G Business Everywhere Mobile BB 1200kbps down, 320kbps up
Stats shown are recent measurements (same premises)
A member of the ever-growing "I hate BT" Group on Facebook
Standard User alwall
(regular) Mon 12-Oct-09 14:27:47
Print Post

The current Openreach Builders Guide page 13 specifies 600mm min to 700mm max below finished road level on new estates. Other dimensions and specifications are also tabulated. http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/networkinfo/developn...

BTBroadband
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Oct-09 14:37:53
Print Post

[re: alwall] [link to this post]

That is the road level, the depth for across gardens looks like it may be 350 to 450mm on page 12, where the external NTE for new properties is described.

What it was when the property was built and wiring laid is anyones guess.

Time to talk to insurance people maybe, but the onous is often on the person doing the digging to check, or at least enquire with property owner. The blame game is pretty much the case now, but if Openreach or BT had used even just slightly armoured cable, you could argue that they have done a reasonable level of protection. Would the current 50mm PVC pipe offer more protection?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User systemx
(committed) Mon 12-Oct-09 14:41:19
Print Post

Do check that your contract with the contractor who removed the trees did not say that you have checked for underground services, and did you check with BT to see if there are/were any underground cables? I assume that this work was carried out on your land?
Standard User systemx
(committed) Mon 12-Oct-09 14:57:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The PVC conduit does nt really offer much protection, its used, and left with a draw line so that cables can be run after the ground work has finished if necessary.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to