General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Quagmire911
(newbie) Sat 06-Feb-10 22:49:27
Print Post

Slow broadband speed, cumbernauld exchange

[link to this post]

Hello,

I am broadband user on the Cumbernauld exchange.

I have had broadband at least since 2006, and up until 2008-2009 received below 500kb/s. Around that time I started to receive 730kb/s. In 2008/2009 this was via an ethernet connection, before it was usb. In early 2009 I had to move the computer downstairs and connect the computer directly to the hub with the ethernet cable. This suggested a problem with the extension wire. I then switched to wireless and moved the computer back upstairs. I was still getting around 730kb/s.

Fast forward to 2010 and I had to move the computer back downstaits due to connection issues. During mid-late 2009 the connection had moved down to around 500kb/s. I phoned BT and they said it was a router problem and sent me a Home Hub 2, to replace my Home Hub 1. I have had this router for under a week. I also installed a BT i-Plate. During the last few days, my connection has been stable, but has degraded to 330kb/s. I am paying for "up to 8MB".

I also like online gaming and was told interleaving was off. In the Home Hub 2 settings I see that is on. They obviously take me for a fool. I have been on the phone to India many times.

Is there anything that can be done about this? Can I at least get the connection back up to 730kb/s? I know I am pretty far from the exchange, but I used to get that speed. They told me last week that FTTC was being installed and I would be getting 7-8 MB/s by early March. I don't believe them.

I guess I am looking for some help, I'd like to get back to at least 730kb/s. There are some not far from here receiving 15MB/s.

Here are my line stats:

ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 19:25:11
Downstream 544 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 7.1 dB / 11.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 63.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 13.8 dBm / 12.4 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 0
Loss of Signal (Local) 0
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 9531 / 46
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 511 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up) nil / 43
Error Seconds (Local) 159

Would it be advisable to get interleaving turned off? Is there anything that can be done to improve my speed?

Any help is appreciated,

Quagmire911
Standard User b4dger
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Feb-10 09:07:34
Print Post

Re: Slow broadband speed, cumbernauld exchange

[re: Quagmire911] [link to this post]

Hi,
Unfortunately you are on a very long line there frown (line attenuation 63.5db - could be longer as lots of routers only report up to 63.5!)
You probably need interleaving on as it should be helping with your connection.
You have a fair number of errors which isn't good.

Have you made sure you're getting the most out of your situation?
Start by using the BT Test Socket behind the removable faceplate and post your line stats again.

-------------------------------------------
Freeola[EntaNet] Faraday IPSC node
Hmmm... Understanding ADSL | Map Coordinates | and more...
SNR: Netgear DG834>2Wire 2700>Thomson ST585v6 My Router Experience
ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Mon 08-Feb-10 11:50:59
Print Post

Re:Slow broadband speed, cumbernauld exchange

Hi Quagmire911

Due to the length of your line the speeds your experiencing are not out of the ordinary.

Try this link to see if this helps at all Fix Slow Speeds

I wouldn't recommend taking interleaving of as this could really have an adverse effect on the stability of your service.

Stuart
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Mon 08-Feb-10 12:54:44
Print Post

[re: BT_Care] [link to this post]

Thanks for responding guys. The downstream had fallen to around 348kbps in hub manager after my last post.

However, I plugged the router into the master socket and connected with an ethernet cable and got:

ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 0:01:53
Downstream 1,152 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 7.8 dB / 11.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 63.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 15.8 dBm / 12.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 0
Loss of Signal (Local) 0
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 62 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up) nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local) 0

That is the highest that I have ever seen it. My current download after that was actually 240kbps, but am I right in saying it takes several days for the speed to improve?

Any ideas what could be causing this? Is this a faulty face plate or something?

Thanks for any help,

Quagmire
Standard User b4dger
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Feb-10 13:08:39
Print Post

That looks like a healthier sync speed smile (still a lot of errors though!)

If you only see that sync speed when using your Test socket then it shows your internal phone wiring or phone equipment (Sky, Fax, Phones, etc.) are affecting things.

Have you disconnected the 'ring wire' on your extensions? You only need terminals 2 and 5 connected... This can make a big difference.

I would try disconnecting all your phone attached kit - then move the router back to it's normal location. Check the sync speed again. If it's still ok then start plugging in all your other kit, monitoring your router stats as you go. This might show up your problem. Or if when you move your router back to it's normal location it drops - that shows there's something wrong with the extension it's using, etc. etc.

Standard User b4dger
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Feb-10 13:10:39
Print Post

[re: BT_Care] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BT_Care:
Try this link to see if this helps at all Fix Slow Speeds
Stuart
FYI - I get a broken page trying to follow your link...

(newbie) Mon 08-Feb-10 13:11:25
Print Post

Hmmm,

I removed the accelerator plate and it connected fine with just the normal plate at 1152kbps, like the master socket.

I then added the i-plate back on and it was taking forever to get a connection like it was last week. I waited a couple of minutes and decided to just remove the i-plate again and it connected straight away at 1184kbps. I guess had I waited it would have gone back down to 300-500 kbps.

It seems my accelerator is a decelerator! Hopefully that was the issue, I'll see what happens over the next couple of days. Is there any reason that this would happen?

Thanks,

Quagmire
Standard User Roors
(newbie) Mon 21-Jun-10 17:18:37
Print Post

Unfortunately, despite being a fairly major town, Cumbernauld has pretty poor Broadband speeds. If you live on the north side of the A80, then you have NO chance of a decent speed.

See information on Exchange. Haven't a clue what FTTC is but they were obviously trying to fob you off, as there's no information on it.

Normally I get around 1-1.5Mb but can be as poor as 300kb
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Mon 21-Jun-10 19:10:57
Print Post

[re: Roors] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Roors:
Unfortunately, despite being a fairly major town, Cumbernauld has pretty poor Broadband speeds. If you live on the north side of the A80, then you have NO chance of a decent speed.

See information on Exchange. Haven't a clue what FTTC is but they were obviously trying to fob you off, as there's no information on it.

Normally I get around 1-1.5Mb but can be as poor as 300kb
Not a very successful post Roors tongue.

The problem was raised,and the cause found and corrected in February. Perhaps you didn't read the whole thread.

FTTC - Fibre To The Cabinet. Mentioned in the national press most weeks for the last two years. Perhaps you have been out of the country.

Regarding your non-appearing link, you need to remove the quote marks and insert some text after the first ] and before the closing markup.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 20-Jul-11 13:02:57
Print Post

Re: Slow broadband speed, cumbernauld exchange

The best broadband speeds for the most of Cumbernauld would be on Virgin.

I advise you to check this out.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to