General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User b0ng0
(newbie) Fri 01-Oct-10 14:21:20
Print Post

Incompatible Technology (TPON/FTTC?)

[link to this post]

I've been trying to activate with Be recently but there seemed to be a problem on the line.

I spoke with a BT engineer (finally) this morning and he informed me that broadband in my area is actually provided via a fiber from a green BT box located very close to the property and that broadband can be provided, but the ISP has to rent the equipment from BT wholesale and I would have to speak to the broadband provider about this.

I believe it's called TPON (Telephone over Passive Optical Networks) or FTTC (Fiber-to-the-Cabinet).

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of thing? Which ISP can actually provide broadband in this situation?

In the local forums, one resident posted:

As far as I am aware the situation in our area has not changed since the green cabinets were introduced in early 2007. This is still the fastest broadband service to [area1], [area2], and [b0ng0's area]. The technology used involves the use of TPON (fibre optic) from the closest Exchange which is then converted to copper inside the green cabinets and then fed to the homes in these areas. This technology, trialled in our area during 2006, is now known as Fibre-to-the-cabinet (FTTC) and is being now used through the country as part of the BT 21CN upgrades. Subscribers which use this service should see download speeds in the range of 6Mbps.

Residents who subscribe to bundled packages from Sky, TalkTalk, and AOL will generally have great difficulty receiving broadband within the [specific area] housing developments as these companies install their own equipment within the closest Exchange as a money saving excercise i.e. they don't have to rent the lines from BT OpenReach. This is knows as Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) which is not compatible with the FTTC equipment, meaning that the broadband transmission will be on copper all the way from exchange area resulting in very poor transfer rates. However, I would like to learn if there are any residents using broadband from these companies and what broadband speeds can be achieved.

The local exchange is NSKGW, however the engineer did say that broadband for our area isn't routed through the telephone exchange and that is why the ISP couldn't activate the line.
Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Oct-10 14:29:28
Print Post

Re: Incompatible Technology (TPON/FTTC?)

[re: b0ng0] [link to this post]

TPON IS NOT FTTC Fibre based broadband.

TPON is telephone over an old technology fibre and generally is incompatible with any DSL products, VDSL2 included.

What is the exact text for your phone line (masking phone number from)http://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Aberdeen Kingswell if memory serves right was a TPON area, but an ISP can often place a manual order, and the line be moved to a copper pair that goes to the exchange. Sometimes no spare pairs are available.

No FTTC i.e. next generation broadband is deployed at your exchange, even if it was the telephone line retains a full path back to the exchange so LLU services are available.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User b0ng0
(newbie) Fri 01-Oct-10 14:31:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your detailed reply. The text from the ADSL checker is:

For Telephone Number xxxxxxxxxxx on Exchange ABERDEEN KINGSWELLS

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 3Mbps.

Your exchange is planned to have ADSL2+ by 31st January 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 6.5Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that dates and exchanges are indicative and subject to change.
Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Edited by MrSaffron (Fri 01-Oct-10 14:32:14)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Oct-10 14:34:21
Print Post

I removed your phone number.

No indication of TPON - you would be getting a paragraph at the end mentioning incompatible product etc.

It may be that BE know the area has TPON and are assuming you are on it. Was it the website rejecting you? Or a sales person?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User b0ng0
(newbie) Fri 01-Oct-10 14:42:07
Print Post

Thanks for removing the number

It was both sales and their system. They just keep telling me it's incompatible technology on the line. The BT Openreach engineer told me this morning that it's because it's routed through this green box that broadband providers will try to activate the broadband via the telephone line (which goes to the exchange), but this won't work hence the "incompatible technology".

He said that ISPs can use this but they have to lease the green box from BT wholesale.
Standard User b0ng0
(newbie) Fri 01-Oct-10 14:44:51
Print Post

I spoke to the previous owners and they said that they actually spoke to the special faults department at BT and ended up getting the phone number switched from the fiber box to the copper one (which is actually next to the fiber box). So what I assume has happened is that BT has given us a new number that is in the fiber box but should be in the copper one (in which case we can use normal ADSL).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Oct-10 14:49:13
Print Post

There was a trial back in 2006 http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/i/2864.html that ties to what they are saying, but am not aware of this having gone beyond trial the later links are what I've just found by using Aberdeen Kingswell TPON in google

Background info on TPON http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/1346-latest-news-...

If the 2006 trial is the option available, then you need to find a provider that sells a BT Wholesale IPStream based product, hundreds of them, a hint as to what you are looking for in terms of broadband usage and a few names can be thrown your way.

Digging around an Openreach item from 2007 suggests this cabinet DSLAM went ahead
https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/news/productbriefin...

Is your postcode mentioned?

Standard User b0ng0
(newbie) Fri 01-Oct-10 15:00:18
Print Post

Yeah I see my postcode there.
Standard User b0ng0
(newbie) Fri 01-Oct-10 15:26:10
Print Post

I just spoke to the Openreach employee mentioned in your link and they basically repeated what the engineer had said - that we need to find an ISP who is willing to rent the equipment from BT wholesale (I presume the previous owners did this, however the engineer recently said Sky had stopped doing this now).

Can you recommend any suppliers who can do this?

Many thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Oct-10 16:09:33
Print Post

As for who, well theres the big BT Total, and smaller more expensive Zen options, Entanet resellers. Andrews and Arnold and more.

All depends on how you want to use your service and your budget, Plusnet will probably be the cheapest BT Wholesale based provider.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to