General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

These posts have been archived and can no longer be replied to or modified.
  Print Thread
Standard User soggs
(newbie) Tue 19-Oct-10 14:08:06
Print Post

AOL broadband and email

[link to this post]

I'm going to be moving to a new place with my partner soon and as we're going from two separate homes we're consolidating certain things like broadband services. Currently she is on AOL and I'm with O2. I'd prefer to move my O2 service to the new house but my partner needs to keep her AOL email address running. Is it possible to cancel AOL but still retain the email address that is linked to that account, and if so how? I don't really want to transfer the AOL account to the new place if possible as I know that I get a much better service from O2.

Hopefully someone here will be able to help with this one as I've been unable to find much online to point me in the right direction.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Oct-10 14:14:13
Print Post

Re: AOL broadband and email

[re: soggs] [link to this post]

Should be able to downgrade the AOL account to a free one which retains the email address and can be accessed via the AOL webmail interface.

The old links to their FAQ's do not appear to work now.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User soggs
(newbie) Tue 19-Oct-10 15:43:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the information, from the little that I have found onlie this does seem to be the way to do things but nobody can confirm it for definite. I guess a call to AOL will be needed to find out for sure, just don't want to lose the email address.

Thanks again for your help.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Oct-10 17:37:19
Print Post

It might be worth trying in TBB's AOL forum: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/aol.html

I don't know if any AOL reps post in there but I'm sure there are plenty of useful TBB members smile

Standard User boysteve
(member) Tue 19-Oct-10 17:46:05
Print Post

I left AOL 3 years ago and can still send/receive email via web page and thunderbird or Outlook.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Broadband Unlimited LLU without TV
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Oct-10 18:49:25
Print Post

There's no need to worry! AOL's email addys are entirely separate from their BB service. They are part of AOL's free Web Services and continue in perpetuity. You don't need to do a thing!

Aside: As it happens, your O2 email addy is similar. It is also entirely separate from your BB.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User soggs
(newbie) Wed 20-Oct-10 08:40:27
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Many thanks for all your answers on this, sounds like we should be able to keep the email address once we've cancelled the broadband which will be a huge relief for my partner. Now it's just the fun of getting my O2 service transferred to the new address, hopedfully that goes smoothly.
  Print Thread

Jump to