General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheFunkySpy
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Nov-10 00:02:21
Print Post

BT - Dan Moss - Still there?

[link to this post]

Does anyone know whether complaints head honcho Dan Moss is still with BT?

I need to pick up on a issue from 2-3 years ago that was never fully resolved. It involves large SNR fluctuations that can cause loss of frame/sync which continue day in day out.. Reason I'm revisiting it now is the voice line is regularly clicking and noisy and there is a knock CRC effect, otherwise TBH I wouldn't bother. I had thought the current issue was connected with work on gas pipes up the road but I'm not sure.

Anyway, Dan Moss was dealing with things back in the day and if he's still there it would be helpful to go back to him rather than going through the whole complicated situation (voice and broadband) with someone else probably at lower level with BT. No point going to the ISP as it's a BT issue and I did the sideways move from Be* to o2 last year.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Nov-10 17:53:50
Print Post

Re: BT - Dan Moss - Still there?

[re: TheFunkySpy] [link to this post]

If the voice line is clicky and noisy when the ADSL kit has all being disconnected from the line for ten minutes - then time to report a voice fault, not bothering to confuse things with worries about ADSL

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Nov-10 19:32:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If the voice line is clicky and noisy when the ADSL kit has all being disconnected from the line for ten minutes - then time to report a voice fault, not bothering to confuse things with worries about ADSL

I haven't got round to checking everything as one socket is very hard to access. Out of interest is the BT quiet line test still available? It was the only user accessible test a couple of years back and quite useful in a limited sort of way.

I suppose my desire to get back in touch with Mr. Moss is more to do with the quality of lower tier BT support than anything else but I take your point.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andyboygsi
(learned) Sat 06-Nov-10 20:08:17
Print Post

never heard of him im afraid

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Standard User blueacid
(member) Sat 06-Nov-10 21:44:16
Print Post

Do you not have access to the NTE5 test socket?

The number to dial is 17070, then option 2 for a quiet line test.

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Xilo LLU - Resold C&W on MRCEN. Bliss!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 06-Nov-10 22:40:36
Print Post

The CEO, Ian Livingston, is the man to contact. ian.livingston@bt.com. His office is very efficient at dealing with long-running complaints.

But it could be the suggestions here are what you should try first.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Nov-10 22:45:46
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blueacid:
Do you not have access to the NTE5 test socket?

The number to dial is 17070, then option 2 for a quiet line test.

I do, Despite being pretty well versed in such matters I've forgotten half the things like that number as life has been focused elsewhere in the last couple of years.
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Nov-10 22:51:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

TBH I'd still like to get the original issue sorted. BT (including Dan Moss and Ben Verwaayen) knew there was an issue, I knew there was an issue. It's just no BT engineer (and I had a few) was ever on site when the SNR fluctuations manifested.

I put it on the back burner because life was going in a different direction and I was frankly tired of the whole matter. With noise on the line again in addition to the long tern issue, I'm thinking two birds, one cliché. . .
ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Sun 07-Nov-10 17:42:59
Print Post

Hi Thefunkyspy,

I'm sorry to see you're having problems with your broadband. I'd like to have a look at this for you and get things sorted out. Could I ask you to email me at btcare@bt.com including your account details and username in the subject field?

On receipt of your email I'll run some diagnostics on the broadband circuit to see how things are performing. Could you also include a link to this thread in your email so that I can refer back to it?

Thanks a million.

Robbie
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Jan-11 00:48:10
Print Post

Re: BT - Dan Moss - Still there? *Update*

[re: BT_Care] [link to this post]

Just to belatedly follow up on this.

Since last posting things appear to have changed. The clicks I was able to narrow down to a piece of faulty equipment. And the large SNR fluctuations for the first time in 3 years appear to have settled down to a level where they are pretty minimal with barely any LOS or LOFs.

Now this may be a major coincidence however this occured directly after two things, one gas major work in the main part of the road probably 300-400yds away near the BT cabinet. And second, the installation of a new TV aerial (and downlead) which points in a new direction. Now I can't fathom any direct connection but perhaps someone else can.

The upshot being I'm back to where I was a few years back when I first got LLU, so that's 15mb on a 26-27dB att with an SNR sitting around 3-4dB. Not blistering but fine until the jump to light speed or whatever. Fingers crossed it sticks.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to