General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 22-Nov-10 12:20:04
Print Post

Time-of-day related loss of speed

[link to this post]

I had a long thread on this topic at the turn of the year...... As sson as the clocks went back in '09, my line would drop out at roughly 1630 each and every day, and come back in the late evening. In the final analysis it was decided that my DG834 couldn't cope with the loss of line quality, and it was replaced. When the clocks went forward, all was hunky-dory and I've been trundling along at 1.7 - 1.9 24/7 ever since....

Well God bless my soul, here we go again. The clocks go back...... my line goes stupid! It all got a bit techie last time so I haven't done much testing beyond the speedtest available on this site. Compared with last year, I have a Draytek 2710n and, I rather imagine, it hangs on to the line (just) when the old Netgear would just have given up and let go.

Symptoms: a rapid decline from 1.7mbs to 600kbs or less between about 1700 and 1800, and a climb back much later in the evening. Throughout the summer the line has been 1.7 - 1.9 mbs at all times. I expect to find that this happens over the weekend, too, when there is far less likely to be a rush of people going on line on returning from work, and I'll report back after the weekend. Should contention make as dramatic effect as this, anyway?

Can we keep this on a non-tech basis for the moment and allow that nothing has changed domestically (except the clocks!) and that the problem is external? What environmental/BT factors are likely to be at work here? My ISP (Orange) is comprehensively useless, so I'm not going to be bothered with script-monkeys several thousand miles away this time round! How, if at all, can I get to BT on this? Can I make use of the fact that my house actually has two telephone lines inwards, one a relic from having had a separate fax line: a comment in another forum suggested that pehaps one could. And, finally, could switching to a provider who will use the LLU facilities on my exchange (Loose, Maidstone 0162274xxxx) provide an answer? I have no reason to believe Orange uses LLU.

TIA

Phil
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 22-Nov-10 12:24:16
Print Post

Re: Time-of-day related loss of speed

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Report back..... and Sunday was worse even than a weekday

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/12903...

!

Phil
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 22-Nov-10 12:39:40
Print Post

You could try O2 LLU on a 30-day no quibbles getout. On the second line would be simplest but would probably incur a cease charge from Orange if you then cancelled that one. A straight migration should not incur a cease charge.

You can also get O2 LLU on monthly contract instead of 12-month, for an up-front payment of £30.

A warning though. If O2 LLU is full up you will be offered O2 Access (non-LLU). Avoid that.

Why this slowdown should be related to daylight saving is a mystery to me, but Orange are well-known for poor performance on their non-LLU. You are right in thinking they do not have LLU in your exchange.

There is no obvious exchange congestion there either.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 22-Nov-10 12:46:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Why this slowdown should be related to daylight saving is a mystery to me
I suspect that's a red herring- the weather tends to be colder when we're on GMT, and it was definitely a bit nippy on Sunday when the OP got poorer than usual performance.

I'd go for interference from central heating systems, either his own or close to his line.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com
________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 22-Nov-10 13:03:59
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

But that ought to upset the sync if anything, not the throughput to any great extent. If a reconnection were caused at a lower speed then assuming IPSTream not Datastream a profile drop would occur, and the speed wouldn't recover so quickly.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 22-Nov-10 13:05:23
Print Post

Are you connected wired or wireless to the router?

A link to your previous thread would be very helpful, to save anyone covering the same old ground again.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Nov-10 13:10:04
Print Post

You'd think would suffer, have a router here that can hold onto sync down to 1dB noise margin, but at under 3dB the throughput is suffering, i.e. video/audio becomes an issue, gaming goes laggy.

A manual resync gets a reasonable 6dB target SNR back, and all is well throughput wise.

So while this modem makes my line look stable, many users would be complaining of poor ISP performance at night.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 22-Nov-10 13:23:25
Print Post

That's logical, but it doesn't always seem to work that way. Using a friend's line, if the SNR dropped below 2-3db then throughput would drop to zero until it recovered, but it didn't lose either sync or PPP... most odd.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com
________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 22-Nov-10 18:12:31
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Thank You. Roberto - you participated last time round - the url is

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/3766525-tim...
(I used the old thread to try to restart the debate but that wasn't successful). Last time, a change of router 'solved' the problem and took my eye off the ball: this time I have exactly the same symptoms but my newer kit hangs on to the line (just) where my old kit would lose it.

Bill: I think I can rule CH out. During the summer the boiler switches in and out for Hot Water (and the pump runs, it's not a gravity system): the problem is absent. Now, the speed declines BEFORE the evening CH switches in; and it's restored to full speed in the morning BEFORE the CH goes off. Also, last time round, the problem was absent on Xmas day and Boxing day, on both of which the CH was in circuit as usual. I remain convinced that the variable is external, but whether exchange/BT network or environmental remains a mystery. Oh, and it occurs whether the temperature is mild or whether it's cold. The sudden onset seems to rule out temperature. I will go cold deliberately tomorrow or the next day - at least until I know the speed is down and not likely to come back for some hours!!

Thx

Phil
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 22-Nov-10 22:13:47
Print Post

One thing I picked up this time from the previous thread is that your connection speed itself is quite poor. So there looks to be a high background noise somewhere as well.

Any chance you can find the stats from the Draytek? Preferably taken immediately after a day-time reconnection.

Also, the wireless or wired question?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to