General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Will_WJ
(newbie) Wed 01-Dec-10 20:35:12
Print Post

Connection Drops Same Time Every Day

[link to this post]

Hi, First time poster here,

I am having a problem with my isp connection where by, it drops at roughly the same time every day and then reconnects at the same time. This has only started recently (within the last month) prior to this, we have not had any internet problems with the house since we finished its construction 3 years ago.

Disconnects: 16:30
Reconnects: 19:00

Unfortunately, my ISP (IdNet) have been less than helpful. We have had 2 x BT Engineers out, both coming at 10:00 where the net runs fine. Now my ISP are saying it must be interference and its nothing to do with them or BT and if I request additional BT services, we will be directly charged call out fees!

My Belkin router stats are as follows:

Data Rate: 7616Kb Down, 448Kb Up
Noise Margin: 11 Down, 25 Up
Output Power(dBm) 119 Down, 198 Up
Attenuation(dB) 23 Down, 12 Up

The Router is running through the BT master socket with all other connections on Microfilters. I have been through all automated timers in the house and nothing comes on in this time period.

During disconnection, the router cycles connection (drops, then reconnects, then drops etc) and comes back up within 10minutes each day.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated as this is causing serious working problems.

Many Thanks,

-W
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Dec-10 20:38:17
Print Post

Re: Connection Drops Same Time Every Day

[re: Will_WJ] [link to this post]

Nothing to do with the ISP, probably noise on the line. You should monitor with routerstats and a MW radio.

_____________________________________________________________________more unwritten rules than posts_________
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Dec-10 20:41:05
Print Post

As it appears to stick to a fairly set schedule it could well be something like a street light starting up which is causing RF noise. Getting it sorted is another kettle of fish.

Dave

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(experienced) Wed 01-Dec-10 21:42:29
Print Post

It sounds as they are washing their hands of it,not good,the problem yoiu have is the time it occurs, the isp should be able to see you disconnect & re-connect, although that would not be sufficient to them as proof that it's something outside your control causing it,What have to tried in order to reconnect during this longish period of downtime,?

Output Power(dBm) 119 Down, 198 Up has to be a bug surely

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 01-Dec-10 21:43:50)

Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Dec-10 21:47:01
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

More likely a typo from the op missing decimal point.

Dave
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Dec-10 21:50:54
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

Looks like a standard BT Max Adsl up to 8 meg connection, interleaved.

_____________________________________________________________________more unwritten rules than posts_________
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Dec-10 11:18:15
Print Post

May I suggest you download and install RouterStats Lite and monitor the noise margin display just before it disconnects.

You don't live next door to someone who does arch welding during those times by any chance? wink

Andrew
Standard User Will_WJ
(newbie) Fri 03-Dec-10 11:37:48
Print Post

[re: Andrew_W] [link to this post]

I can confirm they are the noise levels showing on the router, I will download advised programs and check tonight.

Regarding location, I live 200yards from my exchange (hillington) in a fairly rural area.

Theory lies with my neighbour, this started at the same time as he left for Antigua and I wonder if he logs into his office computer from there causing possible interference (or fax for example) although could not be certain.
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-Dec-10 11:50:21
Print Post

If it is your neighbour logging in, he has very precise habits. Particularly if he is on holiday smile

More likely he has left something running on a timer. Do his house lights come on during those hours or something like that? Try the AM radio trick and tune it down to something like 600kHz and find a spot on the dial without a broadcast station then listen for an increase in background noise.

edit: Just had a thought! Neighbour's Christmas tree lights on a timer?

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_W (Fri 03-Dec-10 13:42:16)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 04-Dec-10 11:01:24
Print Post

Hi Will,

Nice to know I'm not alone!! I've had exactly the same problem both this year and last, starting coincidentally with the reversion to GMT in both instances. The only difference is, that this year I have slightly better kit and instead of dropping out completely, my BB slows to a crawl. This year's thread - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/3934657-tim...
and there was also one starting on 23/12/09.

However, the collective wisdom of the board hasn't come up with a diagnosis. As the problem is almost certainly external to my house, it's probably unreasonable to expect that it should - but if it's caused by BT network management practices (as I strongly suspect), I had hoped someone might know.

So: no help, only tea and sympathy!

Phil Harrison ('anonymous!')
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to