General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 02-Dec-10 10:24:05
Print Post

BT OR PLUSNET. NEITHER.!!! They are the same company

[link to this post]

Before I had signed up for broadband, I had gone through this forums and its rating and found Plusnet to be good. Its initial line test speed showed about 5.2mb on adsl as that was what they had at the time. It was also a good deal as I do not over use my limit. WAS IT THE

BIGGEST MISTAKE I MADE. Why???
Reason being I can barely get above 1.1mb down and 0.7mb up. I did the usual thing they recommend - leave the router on for 10 days continous to stabalise the line. But it kept on dropping the connection and I got blamed for switching the router off. They blamed my router. i had tried two and same thing. Still coming up with excuses.
I do not like BT as they just want money and if thing go wrong not interested in fixing it rather come up with threats of if they send an engineer and if nothing wrong, they I will get charged £65. They do not send an engineer straight away. Rather 2-3 days later and when they turn up, its guaranteed that the problem has been fixed before they turn up (from experience) and so they charge for service not rendered.

On another note on landline calls.If you have never checked your bill on regular occassions, you should as I have had calls put on my bill even when the phone as dead. SO to say BT engineers do use your line to make personal calls, as theu engineers will tell you (BT engineers friends - not any engineer you spot)

Back to ADSL. My complains to get the line checks never got off and I was stuck at 1.1mb. They chaged their estimate from 5.2mb to 1.5mb. How can they get this wrong??? SIMPLE. They want the money and lie and once signed up they come up with excuses, have you noticed that the terms and conditions are always to their advantage. Try complaining to OFCOM, Office of Fair Trading, Trading Standards - no one is interested, yet they say they are there to listen to the consumers view and act on their best interest, YEAH RIGHT. They get paid by the likes of BT, Plusnet and other providers.

Plusnet called me up and asked if I wanted to upgrade my service to ADSL2+ and they said it would not cost me anything and I would get much hgher speeds upto 20mb. I said if they cannot get the 5.2mb they estimated, what chances have they got to put me on near 20mb. They were singing high with praises but I said if you want to upgrade go ahead but if you can't be bothered to fix my line before they had not chance of fixing it after the upgrade. The upgrade was done and WHAT A DISSAPPOINTMENT. The speed is still 1.1mb down and they are still coming up with excuses.

Plusnet is currently advertising as the cheapest broadband provider and they will beat any price. WATCHOUT. They contract is 12months NOT 1month as before. They peak usage is 10GB starts from 8am to 12pm, unlimited between 12pm to 8am - if your awake and work at the time its brilliant. IF YOU GO OVER YOUR PEAK LIMIT, you will be charged £5 for each extra 5GB, even if you do NOT use the extra 5GB, this is set as default without you realising it, so you end up paying more than the other cheapest provider. SO PLUSNET IS THE CHEAPEST PROVIDER OUT THERE. THEIR PACKAGES ARE SAME AS BT BUT ITS CHEAPER ON PLUSNET. So if you are a "BT" customer, you are being ripped off.

Plusnet is also advertising that they had UK BASED CALL CENTRES. WRONG. Being part of BT, who have forieign call centres, so do Plusnet and they are unable to put you through to UK office. You will need to communicate with email to get to the UK office, that is, if the email does get passed to the UK office.

SO ONCE AGAIN BT AND PLUSNET ARE THE SAME, IF YOU DO NOT LIKE BT DO NOT MAKE A MISTAKE AND GO TO PLUSNET JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAPER. TERRIBLE SERVICE ALL ROUND.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Dec-10 10:35:34
Print Post

Re: BT OR PLUSNET. NEITHER.!!! They are the same company

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Any more details on this £65 charge.

There is a well known charge for if the Openreach engineer finds out the fault was on your side of the network. But given broadband suffers intermittent faults, there is no charging if they find nothing wrong.

If there are calls as you alledge from engineers then the itemised billing will identify them and the charges can be removed, and investigation will arise.

Plusnet's call centres when I last saw them were in Sheffield, are you suggesting they have moved them overseas, or is this inferred from the 'they are part of bt'

On your 1.1Meg down - if you line has a high attenuation then this may be the best you can manage. Have you ever looked to see if the extension wiring in your property is to blame?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Dec-10 11:46:41
Print Post

Are you looking for help or did you just want to vent your spleen? If you want help then can you post the stats from your router (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin for both upstream and downstream would be the minimum required).

Plusnet were bought by BT a long time ago but are still operated as an independent ISP. They use BT wholesale lines the same as most UK ADSL ISPs. Call centre, as MrS says, is in Sheffield and that should be where you get through to when you ring them (although they might pass it off somewhere else outside of normal working hours).

10GB is fine for many people. However, if you need more then you may be better off upgrading your package.

I assume you have also found how to set the limits on downloads through the control panel to stop it charging for extra download? This is more than many ISPs provide.

Plusnet are not what I would consider the best ISP but on non-LLU exchanges they often work out as the best value (depending on your usage).

On contracts they have a 10 day notice period. However, if you take free connection or free router when you sign up then they expect you to pay for them if you leave within a year - this is not the same as a 12 month contract.

I am not a plusnet fan but I think you have been unlucky to some extent but also it may be possible for people here to help you get the best of your connection.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 02-Dec-10 12:23:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
On another note on landline calls.If you have never checked your bill on regular occassions, you should as I have had calls put on my bill even when the phone as dead. SO to say BT engineers do use your line to make personal calls, as theu engineers will tell you (BT engineers friends - not any engineer you spot)

That is a nasty and untrue allegation.

If a BT technician used your line for personal calls then he would be subject to disciplinary action and probably dismissal. Why would they want to? And if you line is dead how could they?

Give some REAL proof not just something you heard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Dec-10 12:53:26
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Think the OP is alluding to engineers dissing off lines to enable them to use them for illicit purposes.
An urban myth and a load of cow dung IMHO.

Dave
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 02-Dec-10 12:58:56
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rockh:
Think the OP is alluding to engineers dissing off lines to enable them to use them for illicit purposes.
An urban myth and a load of cow dung IMHO. FACT

A minor correction to your post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 02-Dec-10 13:29:21
Print Post

Re: BT OR PLUSNET. NEITHER.!!! They are the same company *DELETED*

Post deleted by Sadoldman
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 10-Dec-10 11:28:13
Print Post

It not something I have heard. My line was dead, yes dead no buzz, no noise, no dial tone and when I got the bill it had calls on the days the line was dead. How do you explain this. BT could not explain this as well. Any answers suggestions???? before saying someing you are not sure of or you a BT egineer??? The bill does not lie or is it completely full of ' not made calls'
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Dec-10 11:35:05
Print Post

How about a crossed pair? Someone else accidentally got your line - it does happen... and it is clear that if you had no line, that it was connected incorrectly at the cab/exchange.

Any calls that person made, would have gone on your bill. Simple human error.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 10-Dec-10 11:39:22
Print Post

Sorry forgot to input.
Your line, if I am not wrong, starts from the BT building, I call it the exchange, down the road, to a green box on the street or a ground connection, where connections are interwinned or made and up the post where there is another connection made and finally to your house. Engineers do not have to come to your house to make a call. They can sit outside, near the green box or on the ground with lots of wires and connect their testing phones to make a call. That is not difficult is it and its discreet as most people walking past see the engineer trying to fix and talking to the office. These are the places the engineers will check if probs with your line NOT only your house.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to