General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 30-Dec-10 14:00:23
Print Post

New line installation with broadband, who's better?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I have just moved into a new build property with no telephone connection, and as such I must connect it to a telephone provider along with a suitable Internet package.

I do not know much about these affairs so I am seeking your help in recommending a suitable package. I need an unlimited anytime phone package with an unlimited Internet connection suitable for streaming and online playing for my kids.

Now I have searched this forum and a question that appears time and time again is that of the exchange, so here are my exchange details, got them from a website called Samknows that I have seen mentioned here:

It's called Clydebank Exchange.
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WSCLY

Many thanks for your help and happy new year!

Kind regards,
MikeT
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Dec-10 14:04:50
Print Post

Re: New line installation with broadband, who's better?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Simples...LLU;
BT for the phone line (line rental and voice calls package), if you can't get BE/O2, Sky or Talk-Talk to do a new install.
When the BT minimum contract period expires, switch your phone and calls to your broadband provider.

Go for BE, O2 or Sky for the broadband (all pretty similar).

Try to avoid Talk-Talk if you really do want unlimited.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware

Edited by adebov (Thu 30-Dec-10 14:06:42)

Standard User CurlyWhirly
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Dec-10 21:27:02
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adebov:
Simples...LLU;
BT for the phone line (line rental and voice calls package), if you can't get BE/O2, Sky or Talk-Talk to do a new install.
When the BT minimum contract period expires, switch your phone and calls to your broadband provider.

Go for BE, O2 or Sky for the broadband (all pretty similar).

Try to avoid Talk-Talk if you really do want unlimited.

There was a time when O2 LLU was an unlimited product (but subject to a FUP although it had never been implimented) but recently they have started traffic shaping and although this doesn't affect me (as I'm on one of their Legacy packages) if they decided to introduce it on my package (after giving me 30 days notice) then I would ask for my MAC code and probably go back to Zen !

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 30-Dec-10 22:46:00
Print Post

[re: CurlyWhirly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CurlyWhirly:
There was a time when O2 LLU was an unlimited product (but subject to a FUP although it had never been implimented) but recently they have started traffic shaping and although this doesn't affect me (as I'm on one of their Legacy packages) if they decided to introduce it on my package (after giving me 30 days notice) then I would ask for my MAC code and probably go back to Zen !
Why not to Be?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 31-Dec-10 08:49:07)

Standard User CurlyWhirly
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Dec-10 23:38:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Why not Be?

Yes why not wink
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Dec-10 08:25:59
Print Post

[re: CurlyWhirly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Why not Be?

Yes why not wink

Are you getting all existential on us? A bit of shakespeare wouldn't go amiss here...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 31-Dec-10 08:50:37
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Are you getting all existential on us? A bit of shakespeare wouldn't go amiss here...
smile
That is the question.

I have now made a subtle alteration to the original tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 31-Dec-10 14:48:28
Print Post

Post Office Home Phone still offer new-line installation without a term tie-in period. 112.34 is probably the cheapest line installation that you will find anywhere without selling your soul:

Home Phone new line installation

You can stay with Home Phone or choose any other call provider that you like. Then select an LLU provider such as Be for your broadband.

Alternatively, ID Net offer both phone and broadband packages for new-line installations, again without a minimum contract term.

--
Northwind-not-logged-in
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Dec-10 14:57:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Post Office Home Phone still offer new-line installation without a term tie-in period. 112.34 is probably the cheapest line installation that you will find anywhere without selling your soul:
BT are still doing it for £30, unless you count an 18-month contract as selling your soul smile

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 04-Jan-11 12:47:33
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

> unless you count an 18-month contract as selling your soul

he he indeed I do smile Nothing more than 30-day contract terms in this household!

I was trying to give the original poster the option of avoiding a 550-day lock-in to one company.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to