General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Corbula
(regular) Sun 02-Jan-11 01:21:59
Print Post

Speed drop recently but normal ip profile

[link to this post]

Recently i've noticed i've only been getting about 2mb on Virgin ADSL, a couple of weeks ago though i was getting 7mb.

I've just checked my router and that's snyc'd at 8128kbps.

On the BT speed checker is confirms my ip profile is 7150kbps.

However, on the bt availability checker where it says 'estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed' it say's 4Mbps. It used to say 7Mbps or so.

I don't understand why it's suddenly dropped.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1093423082.png
Standard User thomaswarne01
(newbie) Sun 02-Jan-11 01:34:10
Print Post

Re: Speed drop recently but normal ip profile

[re: Corbula] [link to this post]

it could be congestion,

have you gone over any limits set by virgin? eg. over 50gb
or whatever your allowance is?
it could be your line but im sure the snyc would drop for line problems!
otherwise contact virgin and see whats going on
if you need any more help please do not hesitate to contact me!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Jan-11 09:46:32
Print Post

It's odd that the BT estimate should have changed, but that has no effect on your speed. So there has to be some other reason.

Please can you post the line stats from your router, see here for help.

Have you got an new computer? Possibly a laptop? Or started connecting wirelessly to the router instead of wired? Is the wireless connection on your router secured using at least WPA2?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Corbula
(regular) Sun 02-Jan-11 13:42:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It seems to be ok today, it's at 6mb+.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1093916378.png

To be honest i don't know what my usage allowance is. It used to be something like the top 5% of users. It's all FUP so i don't know if there is a set usage allowance.

Here's my router stats:
Sync speed:Down/Up
8128kbps/448kbps

Line Attenuation:Down/Up
35db/17db

Noise Margin:Down/Up
6.4db/21db

Same computer wired to the router, and yes i'm using WPA2.

I really want to change ISP anyway but i don't want to do anything until FTTC is an option, hopefully in March, but even then i'm not sure about that because of the price of it.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Jan-11 15:09:17
Print Post

Sounds like a blip somewhere in the system.

Good luck.

Re FTTC, I try to keep this list of suppliers up to date.

What exchange are you on? That line should be able to hit 10-13Mbps on a decent LLU connection, and you may be able to get that on monthly contract.

The FTTC dates are currently going daft, see several threads in the Fibre forum.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User Corbula
(regular) Sun 02-Jan-11 15:31:01
Print Post

I'm on the middlewich exchange http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/MRMDW.

I was thinking about LLU but i didn't want to get stuck in a 12 month contract. I know there are monthly contracts, any providers that offer a monthly contract that i could get? I was thinking about Sky LLU but they only do 12 month contracts don't they?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Jan-11 15:53:29
Print Post

You can get vivaciti LLU 75 or Xilo/uno Pro 24, both of which are through Tiscali tails and highly regarded. I think both are monthly contract.

Standard User Corbula
(regular) Sun 02-Jan-11 16:07:11
Print Post

Looking at vivaciti LLU 75, you pay bt line rental on top of that right? What about the vivaciti surfwise complete which includes line rental. Does that mean it takes over line rental from bt, i.e. i will be charged when i want to switch to FTTC to move the line back to bt?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Jan-11 16:25:27
Print Post

Yes you can get that, but it is Opal Wholesale (the TT network), and I believe 12-month contract. It is Full LLU as you guessed so as things are the line would have to come back to a BT WLR supplier to get the current FTTC offerings.

However TT are supposed to be coming out with Openreach FTTC very soon, so how soon after that there would be an Opal Wholesale product is anyone's guess. I would expect that to keep the lines with Opal as well.

Xilo/uno do the same Opal Wholesale, just it isn't on their website so you have to contact them.

Standard User Corbula
(regular) Sun 02-Jan-11 16:36:58
Print Post

I know that talktalk are going to be offering fttc soon but i don't really won't to go to TT at the moment so i'm waiting to see other peoples experiences on FTTC from talktalk.

I know that Sky will be doing FTTC after TT as well, which i think would be the better bet for FTTC from one of the bigger providers.

Do you mean that when TT start providing fttc, sometime after that you will be able to get fttc from vivaciti and the line rental will go to Opal Wholesale?

Xilo/uno do the same Opal Wholesale, just it isn't on their website so you have to contact them.

Do you mean the package that includes line rental?

How much is it to move your line back to BT?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to