General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 03-Jan-11 22:26:27
Print Post

Moving providers

[link to this post]

Ok been pestering Orange for my Mac code, proved tedious but got there in the end.

They offered me free for 6 months etc blah blah..promised this would upgrade etc, speeds would be same as any other provider....ha ha!

So was thinking shall I put it to the test, well personally where I am now I cannot afford to be subject to the poor service, ie pathetic speeds.

Just took near 5 mins to download a 2mb PDF document....8mb all the way!

Scenario is this.

Property 1 - Current - Orange - Intentions to move to Zen

Property 2 - Current - Newnet - Intentions to move property 1 (Orange) service here.

What would be the best way to arrange the above?

I could afford to have the 'free' connection monitored at property 2, this would also prove the service they really do provide as Property 2 speeds with Newnet and the same all the time.

That said the exchange is LLU, but reading on here they not putting people on LLU?
Standard User ironnapper
(committed) Wed 05-Jan-11 00:37:33
Print Post

Re: Moving providers

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Anyone share their words of wisdom?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jan-11 11:46:03
Print Post

Do an Orange House Move 1st, then, when complete, do Zen new install?

No guarantee Orange will provide LLU at new place, but would be interested to hear if they do.
I could afford to have the 'free' connection monitored at property 2, this would also prove the service they really do provide as Property 2 speeds with Newnet and the same all the time.
What does this mean?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Jan-11 12:33:13
Print Post

What are the two exchanges please. Links to what ]samknows would be best.

If you migrate your Orange at P1 to Zen then you won't be able to move the Orange service to P2. Conversely if you move the Orange service from P1 to P2 any replacement broadband at P1 will be a new installation with probable charges.

I would also guess, so could be wrong, that ant Orange service at P2 would be a full 12 month contract, so a bit of a disaster if it is poor. I think you mean the Newnet service there will continue in any case?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 08-Jan-11 13:18:37
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Do an Orange House Move 1st, then, when complete, do Zen new install?

No guarantee Orange will provide LLU at new place, but would be interested to hear if they do.
What does this mean?

Ah think Zen charge a fee for new installs as opposed to transfering.

What I mean is not too fussed about have an amazing service at property 2 as at moment it's not used often but could see if the service have received here is the same....and it's free.

At property 1 looking to get a fast and reliable service, so far Orange have never provided that hence reason for looking to go with Zen
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 08-Jan-11 13:21:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What are the two exchanges please. Links to what ]samknows would be best.

If you migrate your Orange at P1 to Zen then you won't be able to move the Orange service to P2. Conversely if you move the Orange service from P1 to P2 any replacement broadband at P1 will be a new installation with probable charges.

I would also guess, so could be wrong, that ant Orange service at P2 would be a full 12 month contract, so a bit of a disaster if it is poor. I think you mean the Newnet service there will continue in any case?

Yes sure Zen have charges for new install.

Not sure on the contract status with Orange, it's one that has been free alongside mobile phone contract which has to be Orange as only service we get in our area.

I assumed can chuck it at any time
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Jan-11 14:15:12
Print Post

Exactly! It's your choice between:
  • Having a free migration to Zen and losing your Orange BB completely
    against
  • Paying Zen for a new install and moving your free Orange BB providing your current mobile phone contract allows it

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 12-Jan-11 11:14:48
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thought might be the case, just thought might have been a way round it, never mind.

Orange seems to be performing far better funnily enough, mind that would not have been hard.

Still dropping to half speed at times...but half speed is better than slower than dial up smile
  Print Thread

Jump to