General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User astoria555
(newbie) Wed 05-Jan-11 13:26:07
Print Post

What can I do to get a faster connection?

[link to this post]

Philips SNA6500 Router using Demon
Upstream: 448k/18db/63db (Speed/SNR/Attenuation)
Downstream: 1856k/12db/49db

These are my current stats (this is the fastest I've seen it connect for a long time, it's normally in the 1400-1700k range). It tends to connect fastest if I turn the router on during the day rather than the evening but the SNR will get lower in the evening. However on occasions the connection almost completely drops and when I check the stats it's sometimes connecting at speeds as low as 160k, if I reset the router it usually reconnects at normal speeds. I have asked BT to test the line several times and they always say there is nothing wrong with it, however if I press a button on the phone there is always a slight noise in the background.

I only live 1.7km as the crow flies from the exchange but I seem to think I live 4-4.5km by phone line (is this sort of increase normal). My exchange has Sky and Orange unbundled, if I moved to one of them is there any chance my connection would get faster (I take it moving to any other BT ADSL provider would have no effect.)

I can't test using the master socket as I live in an old house and the main socket where the line comes into the house is ancient, however if I plug into the main socket I get similar speeds.

What can I do to stop the connection failing (usually when the weather gets bad) and is there anything I can do to increase my normal speed?

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Jan-11 13:46:05
Print Post

Re: What can I do to get a faster connection?

[re: astoria555] [link to this post]

On that attenuation I would expect well over 4Mbps, possibly over 5Mbps.

It would be useful to see a set of stats taken immediately after a reconnection.

You are right so say a move to another non-LLU would not sort things, but I doubt if LLU would do so properly either unless it is the BT exchange equipment at fault.

Re phone noise, if you disconnect all broadband equipment, then plug a phone into the master and try the quiet line test. 17070 Option 2. Preferably use a corded phone not a DECT one.

If you have a definite noise on that test then report it to your phone provider. Do not mention broadband, just that there is noise on your phone line.

If an engineer has to visit to fix a noise fault he should fit a new NTE5 master socket to replace the old one you have and this should be free of charge.

If any noise fault gets fixed your broadband should improve a bit over the following few days and a lot over the next few weeks. Have a browse of the BT DLM, BT IP Profiles, Noise Margin and Troubleshooting sections of my website for a lot of explanation of how things work.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User iwish
(committed) Wed 05-Jan-11 13:58:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Do a line test as said but don't do it with a cordless phone
My money is with the wiring as its so old

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Wed 05-Jan-11 14:05:32
Print Post

Taking a different tack to address your question, can you get FTTC on your exchange? If this is an option for you it will give a much greater improvement in line speed, and will also result in a new master socket being fitted too.

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Standard User astoria555
(newbie) Wed 05-Jan-11 14:21:03
Print Post

[re: New_Londoner] [link to this post]

I can't get BT Infinity or cable and there don't appear to be any plans for either (which is strange given that I live in an urban area and there are villages getting fibre)

I just did the quiet line test before and after unplugging everything and the noise doesn't change, it is a very slight buzz, almost like a very quiet dialling tone. I used a corded phone as my cordless phones have a fair bit of interference anyway.

I have got BT to do line tests before (this buzz is nothing new) and they always say there is no problem and that I will have to pay to get an engineer out. If everything else is unplugged and I am plugging my corded phone into the main socket is it definitely the BT line at fault, not my own wiring. At what point does it become my wiring and not BTs given that my phone socket is so old. Also is it normal that my upstream attenuation is so much larger than the downstream?
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Jan-11 14:23:49
Print Post

Cut your phones bell wire, should give you at least 1mbps more.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jan-11 14:32:03
Print Post

That upstream attenuation figure doesn't look quite right/possible somehow.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User astoria555
(newbie) Wed 05-Jan-11 15:05:17
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:

That upstream attenuation figure doesn't look quite right/possible somehow.

That is what the router is reporting, it is a few years old though.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Wed 05-Jan-11 16:33:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by astoria555:
What can I do to get a faster connection?

I can't test using the master socket as I live in an old house and the main socket where the line comes into the house is ancient, however if I plug into the main socket I get similar speeds.

Depending on your setup and options, it might be worth considering if any of the 'ancient' kit can be upgraded.

A couple of close-up photos of the existing masket socket setup will tell us if there's anything obvious amiss, or if the kit should be changed.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - Quote this post and I'll sue.

report this link
Standard User iwish
(committed) Wed 05-Jan-11 17:03:18
Print Post

If you did a test from the last point the cable comes into your house and still hear buzzing on the quiet line test then you have a problem.
Old or new bt still have to investigate and it could be that they need to fit a new face plate to get rid of the noise.
Just be sure You do the test from the last point with nothing else using the line, then report you have a buzz on the line
You will always get the [censored] about it will cost if no fault is found, but the fact you can hear noise and so will the engineer when he comes out means there is a fault
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to