General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Jan-11 13:55:22
Print Post

How to find where the BT line enters the house, etc.

[link to this post]

How to find where the BT line enters the house, etc.

I was in north London yesterday evening visiting a young friend in his new vicarage (he is the new vicar, the vicarage is c.1930s).

His father has been down there helping with the move and they've found various telephone wires and sockets all in a generally shambolic state and have managed to find one socket that works with a telephone for voice so temporarily have run an extension from there to his study to give broadband. Clearly unsatisfactory and slow but it does at least work.

His father tried to find which sockets were showing 50v across any pairs of wires and found most of them were not so showing. Is that a valid approach? I thought, possibly wrongly these days, that was the ring voltage not the quiescent state voltage.

Similarly he couldn't find any box that looked to be the master socket.

One of the problems is that they cannot trace where the telephone line comes into the house. Albeit in the dark I couldn't see any overhead wires or nearby telegraph poles so the assumption is that it is underground. Apparently there is a small cellar so that has to be investigated as a possibility, Also the attic should be checked - just in case.

Are there any web sites showing pictures of the various ways, and boxes, that a BT line enters a house? Robertos.me.ok and kitz.co.uk both have lots of useful information and pictures, though I couldn't see any of the possible external interfaces/boxes.

Clearly once they can find the point of entry tracing the internal boxes and wiring becomes a little easier.

Any suggestions, pictures, etc. of what to look for to track the point of entry would be appreciated.

Tony
Standard User rarrar
(member) Thu 06-Jan-11 19:54:04
Print Post

Re: How to find where the BT line enters the house, etc.

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

When the phone was originally installed - likely to be early compared to other houses- the phone would be in the "study" which all vicarages would have. Any cable runs would likely to be on the surface internally or through the window frame to an outside wall.

You have found one working socket , I would try to trace the wire back from there.
Any boxes on the outside should be investigated !

Unless there has been a recent rewire I would think it unlikely that new wiring,carefully hidden away for cosmetic purposes, would have been installed .

nb I had significant experience of vicarages and fiddling with the telephones !in my childhood !
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Jan-11 20:26:01
Print Post

[re: rarrar] [link to this post]

Thanks for the thoughts.

It wasn't the original vicarage apparently. It's essentially a detached house 100 yards from the church which was bought as the vicarage when the original was sold for the land to be developed (don't know when this happened).

There was a socket in the 'study' but but no sign of any signal. To a limited extent wires have been traced but seem to resoled into a frayed set of cores under a carpet by a door.

As the church had been in an interregnum there was no chance to talk to the previous incumbent about such matters (don't even know if he had internet). Couldn't expect the church wardens to know that level of detail.

I suggested yesterday they look at all windows (now uPVC), search round for any external wall mounted boxes, check in attic and cellar.

While clearly all boxes need checking some pictures of what they might, especially for older installations, could be helpful. There were 2 or 3 cables coming down the outside walls but they looked to be aerial cables - 'twas dark and drizzling.

I wasn't in the vicarage that long so didn't have too much chance to nose around - gone down for the new vicar's Installation at the church, he'd been our curate.

I'd actually enjoy a day or so crawling round to track such things down, but I have enough to do up in this neck of the woods smile

Tony

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(legend) Thu 06-Jan-11 20:54:52
Print Post

I thought vicars had a wireless connection built in for 'communicating with a higher power'. wink

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - Quote this post and I'll sue.

report this link
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 06-Jan-11 20:58:18
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
I thought vicars had a wireless connection built in for 'communicating with a higher power'. wink
It can be fouled up by Devilish Link Mangling, (DLM).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 06-Jan-11 20:58:41)

Standard User zebedeee
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Jan-11 09:51:02
Print Post

If I were in his position, I'd pay BT for a Master Socket change, and then it wouild be BT's task to find it.

Home ADSL: Be Unlimited LLU
Business ADSL:
Be LLU supplied by Andrews & Arnold
Orange 3G Business Everywhere Mobile BB
  Print Thread

Jump to