General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 08-Jan-11 11:03:32
Print Post

PAYG FTTC ?

[link to this post]

One to have net neutrality advocates foaming at the mouth............

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2011/01/07/5232077.htm

"The platform turns the existing 'user-pays' broadband model upside down by employing a unique software metering engine that enables entertainment companies, merchants, and providers of educational and government services to pay, on a dynamic basis, the bandwidth charges for end users in order to reach them. In effect this creates the world's first '0800' application for broadband access to the internet."

This is on the taxpayer subsidised south yorks digital indulgence project. Free connection and pay to use it anyone ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Jan-11 12:39:44
Print Post

Re: PAYG FTTC ?

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I doubt it will work. Why should content providers pay for customers to use their services? Even if they do, it's not real internet access, just a selection of providers on a private network, like AOL, Compuserve, Prodigy used to be and look what happened to them.

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User swampster
(committed) Sat 08-Jan-11 16:13:02
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yeah I posted about his on another thread..
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/otherbb/t/3952925-r...

It's seems like a definite walled garden project.. but I can see that it could be useful, in particular for those who aren't interested in full fat internet. It could be used to provide informational services by the local authorities behind the network just as one example and a whole host of other things... all delivered to your tv.

Don't know who's going to pay for the cost of the box, and the connection charge to network however.

Overall I do think it's a good idea, provided it doesn't impact on traditional internet services..

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Jan-11 05:08:17
Print Post

I cant read the url as I get redirected.

If I understand you right the end user would have a connection with no subscription and usage costs, and the content provider pays the cost for them using the connection?

Seems a bit silly, with the cost of broadband here now days (cheapest in world just about) I think we need to stop trying to make things cheaper for the end user. There is net cafe's and libraries for people who simply refuse to have it in the home but may want occasional access.
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Jan-11 10:15:56
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
The same site that swampster posted in the linked thread works without redirection.

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 09-Jan-11 10:22:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
Try this one:

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-digital-region-ltd-di...

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 09-Jan-11 12:44:35
Print Post

bizarrely the URL works if you go to it twice.

Yes, the idea is that there are no fixed costs to the user similar to an 0800 dialup internet provider. Costs are met by the service providers but could be reclaimed from the user in a different way to current models.

It may not be a matter of making it cheaper, but changing the payment model. Many in the target audience probably have PAYG phones and probably spend more than they would on a contract, but they may not have a bank account or may have an irregular income that keeps them away from fixed monthly payments.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User swampster
(committed) Sun 09-Jan-11 13:06:34
Print Post

It appears to allow real micromanagement of what services you wish to use... looking at the http://www.boxtop.tv/ website (the company behind the system).. it looks like it can provide a real granular service... you want simply email, that's all you get, you want an online movie library.. that's what you have.

It appears to work through an 'apps' like system, similar to some of the bundles provided by TV manufacturers on their latest connected sets... except this comes with the connectivity as well.

Also bear in mind that this service could run consecutively on the same connection as full fat internet, at least that's how I understand it, basically on a seperate VLAN. I have a sneaking suspicion DRL might simply be using this system to provide tools for content providers.. such as movies on demand subscription companies..

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by swampster (Sun 09-Jan-11 13:12:05)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 09-Jan-11 17:08:02
Print Post

[re: swampster] [link to this post]

yeah, could go in parallel or over an internet link but the spiel is all about using this as a vehicle to get the net into disconnected homes...

" It has the potential to benefit all involved and could fundamentally change how many households get online," comments David Carr, CEO, Digital Region Ltd. "It will enable providers of services such as councils, healthcare, education and businesses to reach households who would otherwise remain unconnected "

similar claims have been made by Youview.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Jan-11 22:49:31
Print Post

I understand what you mean but I would have thought 3G PAYG net access covers that angle.

You know how the connectivity works, eg. if its adsl what happens if there is no phone line?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to