General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 08-Jan-11 21:25:32
Print Post

any advice welcome please

[link to this post]

I want to move providers having outgrown my current provider - been with them for over 10 years. They aren't able to provide current required usage requirements and I'm being constantly penalised for going over which is proving quite expesive. However, apparently because they decided last Sept to give me a courtesy call based on my usage I need to move to a higher package - I couldn't see any problem with it at the time as they were so reasonable about it etc. However, now I want to move - seems they put me on a new 18 month contract. does anyone have any suggestions? Mandy
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Jan-11 21:34:09
Print Post

Re: any advice welcome please

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

What exchange are you on?
Can you get one of the "unbundled" operators (Sky, BE, O2, etc.)?
What is your budget?
What usage requirements would be enough to suit your needs?

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 08-Jan-11 21:37:26
Print Post

Which ISP is it? It doesn't hurt to tell us, and it may help us suggest something. There again, it may not.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 08-Jan-11 21:43:46
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

sorry, I dont understand the technical side of things so not sure what you are asking me - very green IT person. current usage is upwards of 60-70mb with current ISP providing 10-50 with limiters etc but then 99p per kb over max. My main prob is they want mega monies off me for cancellation plus £400 as I want to break the new so called 18 month contract which I was unaware of. Am I stuck with them - I have had some extremely frustrating telehone calls and been verbally threatened that they will cut me off and I won't be able to go with any other provider as they have my line
Standard User mandya
(newbie) Sat 08-Jan-11 22:09:31
Print Post

hi robert = I'm with supanet
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Jan-11 22:24:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
but then 99p per kb over max
Should that be 99p per Gb ?

Tony
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 08-Jan-11 22:41:30
Print Post

[re: mandya] [link to this post]

Hmmm.

We don't see much about them here, though there seems to be bad feelings in the Supanet forum. For example this thread.

However I just had a browse through their T & Cs, before finding that, and came across some relevant facts.

First, the minimum period is mentioned a lot, but nowhere have I found it specified. It does look as though it is 12 months, but with an additional penalty payment of £39.99 for leaving after that but within 24 months.

So it looks as though you are part way through a 12-month term, plus £40, to get out.

They almost certainly record all phone calls, so to some extent what you can do now depends on how hard you want to fight. You could ask them to prove from the phone recording that you were told you would start a new minimum term. On a quick scan I didn't see that stated in the T & Cs, but I may have missed it.

Which package are you on now, and how much per month?

I gather you also pay them for the line rental? Is that a separate charge or included or additional to the broadband charge. Is that also on a new minimum term? It shouldn't be, in which case you may be able to get that out of their control which will get rid of one worry.

It would be useful to have the answers to what adebov asked. If you put your phone number into this checker and either post the link to the result, or tell us the Exchange code in the General information box that would tell us a lot about the alternatives open to you.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User Cobra001
(member) Sat 08-Jan-11 23:01:35
Print Post

just a few questions

1) we need to know you provides your internet? Who do you pay?

2) do you pay them for your land line as well?

3) Did you agree to them placing you on a new contract - if not did you talk to them via email or phone?

just a few other things

a) how much bandwidth (amount you download) does not make you green or not green

b) I assume when you talk about 60-70mb or 10-50mb you actually mean GB - 1000 MB, also when you talk about 99 per kb you again mean GB. There no ISP that would charge you 99p per Kb, or even Mb
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Sat 08-Jan-11 23:16:44
Print Post

[re: Cobra001] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Cobra001:
a) how much bandwidth (amount you download) does not make you green or not green

I thinnk the context of green referred to the OP's lack of knowledge on the subject.

~~~~~~~~~~

Message to the mods:

Don't you hate it that you can't disable sigs? Ha Ha!

© Camieabz 2002-2011

report this link
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Jan-11 08:25:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
and I won't be able to go with any other provider as they have my line

Well that part is a blatant lie. They cannot hold onto your line, or refuse to issue you a "MAC code" (a code which will allow you to transfer your broadband to another provider) even if you owe them money or are in contract.
Complain to Ofcom if your ISP refuses to issue a MAC code (and tell the ISP you will be doing this - i.e. let them know you're aware of your rights and are not believing the rubbish being spouted by their call centre).

Be aware; you will still owe any outstanding money, and will probably be unable to get out of the £400 cancellation charge (unless you can demonstrate you weren't automatically due to roll into a new 18 month contract, at the end of your old one - look in the terms & conditions you agreed to when you signed up).
A good few of the rubbish ISPs will talk you into a new contract (without making the implications clear) each time your old one expires. This is because their service is so rubbish they can only keep customers by forcing them to stay (BT, Plusnet and AOL are well known for pulling this stunt - among others).
If you can prove you were duped, you may get out of the cancellation charge (again talk to Ofcom about this).

Whatever happens; don't think by "migrating" to another ISP you'll be absolved of any debts. They will chase you and won't hesitate to call in a bunch of scumb-bag debt collectors (if they do this, it'll end up costing you a lot more than £400).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
  Print Thread

Jump to