General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User suffolksquire
(newbie) Sun 09-Jan-11 16:02:27
Print Post

Line Rental Issue

[link to this post]

Please could somebody take pity on my ignorance and educate me a little bit.
I am a customer with tiscali, now talktalk.
There was a problem with my broadband, intermittant periods of working and then it completely stopped. A talktalk guy came out and said there was a problem with the line. So a week later bt came out and reconnected the wires coming in from the street to the roof and this got the internet running, temporarily. He said that the wiring in the house needs to be replaced, this would take two days and to let talktalk know of this. The line is old so he had temporarily patched it up and that sooner rather than later the wiring would fail again. Also that to do the work it would cost me. Now talktalk has said that bt have said the problem has been fixed and resolved. I told bt to contact me about rewiring but have heard nothing back.
Am I liable for the costs of rewiring? I presumed that's what line rental was for, thus making talktalk responsible for all costs.
Please help
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Jan-11 16:23:25
Print Post

Re: Line Rental Issue

[re: suffolksquire] [link to this post]

BT are responsible for the connection from the exchange to your master socket. You are responsible for the connection from the master socket to your router and all your phones etc in your house. You can pay BT, or anyone else, to fix your wiring.

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 09-Jan-11 16:38:24
Print Post

Does your master socket look like the one on the left, or the one on the right, on this page?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Sun 09-Jan-11 18:03:32
Print Post

when the internal was fitted in the house, if it was done to spec and never damaged or altered it should still be fine. its installed in the premises under the agreement that the homeowner will take reasonable care of it, this is why folk often get charged because more often than not it gets altered or damaged at some point.

you need to post some details regarding the wiring and pics if possible to allow us to give you any assistance.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
(newbie) Sun 09-Jan-11 20:06:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Have I correctly assumed that the master socket is the socket that I plug the adsl filter and so on into?
My master socket is the one on the left of the page.
Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Sun 09-Jan-11 20:42:27
Print Post

yes that is the master, however you should have a filter in every socket which you have a piece of equipment plugged into

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Jan-11 21:28:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by suffolksquire:
Have I correctly assumed that the master socket is the socket that I plug the adsl filter and so on into?
My master socket is the one on the left of the page.
The master socket should be the first socket to which the incoming BT line is connected.

Other extension sockets, if any, should be daisy-chained from the master and should be disconnected when the faceplate is removed as shown in the picture.

The test socket is shown behind the faceplate. When fault-finding, you should be able to connect the router to the test socket in the knowledge that all extension wiring is disconnected, and not causing any problems.

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
(newbie) Tue 11-Jan-11 20:15:33
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I spoke to a chap from BT today and he said that I am to ask for a rewire of the whole house. Should this cost me? Or should BT pay for this?
Thank you everyone for your help,
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Jan-11 20:35:59
Print Post

BT will charge for any remedial work beyond the master socket. This wiring is the customers responsibility.

Dave
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 11-Jan-11 20:57:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by suffolksquire:
I spoke to a chap from BT today and he said that I am to ask for a rewire of the whole house. Should this cost me? Or should BT pay for this?
Thank you everyone for your help,
Your line rental pays for the connection from the exchange to the master socket. Period! Anything your side of the master is your problem and you would have to pay. As has been said before in this thread.

Do you use any extensions, and if so, what is on them?

I find this tale quite incredible to be honest. It doesn't sound at all like a BT engineer talking in the first place, as your internal wiring is certainly nothing whatsoever to do with TalkTalk, and who was this second BT guy? What did you tell him to get that response?

Something smells fishy to me. If you answer the questions we may be able to suggest soemthing better. At least you have the right sort of socket for us to work from, and the connection to that from outside is TT's responsibility.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to