General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Nick_C
(learned) Sun 09-Jan-11 21:54:08
Print Post

Question about bell wire

[link to this post]

Would removing the bell wire help speed up my broadband, baring in mind i have the newer BT Openreach Socket? The extension where my internet is connected has the bell wire disconnected. Does the wiring type used for extensions effect speeds also?

----------
UKOnline, Lite LLU Dec 2006-June 2010 --> O2 Standard, June 2010-present
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Jan-11 22:04:15
Print Post

Re: Question about bell wire

[re: Nick_C] [link to this post]

It may do, if noise is limiting your speed.

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 09-Jan-11 23:17:34
Print Post

Judging by this thread, in particular "I have tried with the test socket but getting the same speeds", it's unlikely.

What could be important is who fitted the extensions. Would it be the house builders, or don't you know?

It would be a good idea to carefully remove that faceplate and tell us what colour wires are attached to which terminal numbers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zebedeee
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Jan-11 09:51:42
Print Post

If you're really intent on getting the best connection, then you need to replace the master socket with a filtered faceplate (preferably the ADSL Nation one), and connect your router directly to the ADSL output of that. Connect the extension to the filtered output. Then run some ethernet cable from the router to your PC. This will completely eliminate the effects of the extension wiring, and you won't have to worry about fitting microfilters to your phones.

Home ADSL: Be Unlimited LLU
Business ADSL:
Be LLU supplied by Andrews & Arnold
Orange 3G Business Everywhere Mobile BB
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 10-Jan-11 10:06:17
Print Post

if your wiring is correct the choke in the Openreach logo faceplate will filter the bell wire and should give results close to those without the bell wire. If there's more than one master in the system or other oddities disconnection may be preferable.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
  Print Thread

Jump to