General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 12-Jan-11 17:17:40
Print Post

Anyway can I check ADSL line stats while I'm on Virgin Media

[link to this post]

Currently, I use Virgin Media for Internet and Vonage for phone. Basically, BT socket is left alone ever since I moved in this house. Is there anyway can I test socket for line stats so i can be prepared what I will receive when I move to ADSL based ISPs.

Exchange is Victoria.

-Anon1
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Jan-11 17:41:37
Print Post

Re: Anyway can I check ADSL line stats while I'm on Virgin M

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

You can get some sort of idea, though it can be inaccurate, by using this checker and drilling down to the actual address as per the instructions on that page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 12-Jan-11 18:08:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You can get some sort of idea, though it can be inaccurate, by using this checker and drilling down to the actual address as per the instructions on that page.

It says I may get ~6Mbps. My friend on the same street is currently getting 8 or more Mbps from TalkTalk and checker says he should get ~6Mbps. Is this only way can I check the estimated speed of my ADSL line?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Jan-11 18:26:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
My friend on the same street
How far away?

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User mr_bean
(newbie) Wed 12-Jan-11 18:30:41
Print Post

Is this only way can I check the estimated speed of my ADSL line?

Well, more-or-less. You could figure out the route that the line takes back to the exchange, then measure that distance (walk or cycle with GPS or drive and use the odometer). Then look up the likely speed using this graph but a postcode based checker will probably be more convienient.

Another approach, which you seem to have taken, is to talk to the neighbours and see what they get.

Remember that the checkers tend to be a little pessimistic, it's not uncommon to see actual connection speeds higher than the estimate.

At the end of the day though all lines are different and you won't really know until you get an ADSL service on that line, however it looks as though you will get roughly 6-8Mbps. Is you friend on ADSL2+ or ADSL?

You seem to already have had the answer you need before you posted. What is it that you want?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 12-Jan-11 19:06:36
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Well, I wanted a FULL line stats, including noise margin or whatever like that. So I can accurately estimate if there's going to be any problem or how likely I'm going to get my connections dropped.
In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by Anonymous:
My friend on the same street
How far away?

100's terraced houses apart. Maybe about 200m apart. Theoretically, I am closer to exchange than he is.
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Jan-11 19:33:23
Print Post

Chances are you'll get at least as good as him then, unless you are connected to a different street cabinet.

Is the line totally dead? If you plug a phone in can you hear anything? If you plug an ADSL router in, it may give some stats - this is the only way to get the stats.

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Jan-11 08:33:40
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
If you plug an ADSL router in, it may give some stats - this is the only way to get the stats.
You can only get stats if the line is activated for ADSL. As it almost certainly isn't even still activated for voice you'll get diddly squat from the router.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.
Standard User mr_bean
(newbie) Thu 13-Jan-11 08:52:14
Print Post

Well, I wanted a FULL line stats

NO way to do that without having a router plugged in & synced up. As others point out if the phone is dead there's unlikely to be any joy trying a router on the line.

In any case that won't tell you "if there's going to be any problem or how likely I'm going to get my connections dropped"

Assuming that your friend's connection takes a similar route to the exchange you'll get about the same as him, most likely. It's not an unreasonable assumption but you do get oddities at exchange/cabinet boundaries (i.e one side of street on different cab or exchange to the other, or changing halfway up the street).

The only way you'll get significantly more is if he's on an ADSL product ("up to 8Mbps") and you go for an ADSL2+ product ("up to 24Mbps"), if available.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Jan-11 14:58:57
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

If it is ultra important, buy a one month service from a provider like Zen and then get the stats.

Usually it is not important enough for people to lay out the money for that.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to