General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User project_x_uk
(regular) Mon 17-Jan-11 19:52:12
Print Post

estimated speed

[link to this post]

just done a speed check for sky bb for a laugh and they came up with u could get 10-20 meg why dont they just say congrats u can get bb lol. its just like they pluck numbers out.

on a side not my exhcnage chucks out such extreme speeds http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/#!lat=52.860112232005...
Standard User mccann
(committed) Mon 17-Jan-11 22:41:26
Print Post

Re: estimated speed

[re: project_x_uk] [link to this post]

The answer is in your title smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Jan-11 09:34:51
Print Post

Ofcom requires them to supply an estimate of the speed available to you.

And that map shows a common issue, people close to the exchange getting slower than someone a fair bit away, i.e. the person with higher speeds has probably tidied up internal wiring in property to ensure they get the best from broadband.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Tue 18-Jan-11 17:52:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

what does tidyin wiring in house involve and wats the best way to achive it
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Jan-11 17:58:47
Print Post

Removing unused extensions
Ensuring twisted pair (CW1308 spec cable is used)
Placing ADSL modem at the master socket, and fitting an ADSL faceplate to ensure minimal effects from any telephone extensions.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Tue 18-Jan-11 19:10:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

well that seems a little out of my league lol
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Jan-11 19:26:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by project_x_uk:
well that seems a little out of my league lol
Heh!

It isn't as bad as that seems. 90% of what that achieves can be obtained more simply smile.

Have a read of my Troubleshooting section, in particular the Ring/bell wire and Miscellaneous nasties pages. Then get back to us.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
(regular) Tue 18-Jan-11 19:46:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

bt i plate seems a good place to start. would i need to put the i plate on exstention or just master socket or should i just pull the orange bell wire out

Edited by project_x_uk (Tue 18-Jan-11 19:54:10)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Jan-11 21:21:57
Print Post

Well no way would I personally fit an iPlate. They have been known quite often to make things worse. Which is why when BT were doing £90 installations of it they guaranteed money-back if it didn't work.

It does three things.

(1) Filters out the ring wire for all sockets/extensions, simply by fitting it at the master socket. (Do not fit it at an extension as it won't do any good).

(2) Gives the phone a fractionally greater protection from noise than the still-required filter does. Do you have noise on your phone? Note that the new OP-logo'ed master faceplate incorporates the iPlate ring wire filter but not the phone help.

(3) Makes the socket stick out more, by the depth of the iPlate. See this page on what is possibly the best price supplier if you decide to get one anyway.

Considering that removing a wire has to more effective than trying to filter part of it and not the rest (ie the bit that makes things ring), is it really worth it?

Gently remove the ring wire. At the Master is essential, at extensions in theory irrelevant but in some cases does seem to help a little.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
  Print Thread

Jump to