General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 18-Jan-11 17:57:18
Print Post

PlusNet won't connect my broadband because of Sky

[link to this post]

I moved into a new (purchased) property on 20 December, the same day that the previous owners moved out. They used Sky for TV, phone and broadband.

I very quickly applied to Primus for a home phone landline and after waiting around 3 weeks this was set up, with the same home phone number that the previous owners had had.

Around the same time, I also applied to PlusNet for broadband service. However this has been far more troublesome as they say they cannot set me up for broadband as Sky are still providing broadband on the line. Can this be right? The previous owners moved out almost a month ago, and I have my own landline account with Primus now.

Sky refuse to tell me whether they are supplying broadband or not, and won't tell me if it is about to be cancelled.

The previous owner says she cancelled it before they moved out. I asked her to call to see what was going on (which she kindly did) and she said they assured her it would be cancelled as of four days ago (Saturday). PlusNet say it isn't cancelled (they did some sort of TAG check yesterday). Previous owner says Sky are the bane of her life and is reluctant to waste any more of her time talking to their "useless call centres".

What should I do?! I need broadband asap...

Thanks - MrChips
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Jan-11 18:39:15
Print Post

Re: PlusNet won't connect my broadband because of Sky

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

BT Openreach have a "Tag Removal team" specifically for this purpose. Plusnet (at the right support level) know this.

There used to be a number users could ring as it used to be a common problem, but in BT's helpful way they got rid of it.

The last number I have seen quoted is in this post.

That's all assuming they haven't cancelled it for ISPs as well now frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Jan-11 18:49:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The gaining ISP - Plusnet has the responsibility of resolving this for the user.

The broadband order would never have progressed until the phone line was in your name. Here is hoping that the Primus deal is actually a WLR deal, and not one where they've put the person onto full LLU and only broadband now possible is full LLU via Primus.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 18-Jan-11 18:57:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for replies so far. My Primus line is WLR, or so I am told by them (what does that stand for by the way?).

PlusNet have been very supportive so far but they insist there is nothing they can do until Sky get off the line. Do I need to ask them to try harder?

I've read on another forum that I need to ring BT Marker division and tell them to remove the TAG marker??
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 18-Jan-11 19:30:57
Print Post

it is Plusnet's responsibility to sort it out as gaining ISP. So yes, ask them to try harder.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Jan-11 19:34:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Thanks for replies so far. My Primus line is WLR, or so I am told by them (what does that stand for by the way?).
WLR = Wholesale Line Rental, (from BT Openreach), and it means it is a "BT" line so far as ISPs who require one are concerned. That's what you want.
PlusNet have been very supportive so far but they insist there is nothing they can do until Sky get off the line. Do I need to ask them to try harder?
If by "them" you mean Plusnet, Yes! As MrSaffron says.
I've read on another forum that I need to ring BT Marker division and tell them to remove the TAG marker??
You sure it wasn't my earlier post here? If it was elsewhere then that's two of us saying it. Except you can't ring it, unless that number in the post I linked to works for you. Try it.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 18-Jan-11 20:06:09
Print Post

Sorry - I meant to say I did try that number and it doesn't exist anymore frown

Back on the blower to PlusNet I guess!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Jan-11 22:11:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Sorry - I meant to say I did try that number and it doesn't exist anymore frown
As I expected really frown
Back on the blower to PlusNet I guess!
The rest of us all agree they are talking nonsense. They can get it fixed. Though it can take several days from when they request the Tag removal I'm afraid, they can't do much about that.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 19-Jan-11 10:02:33
Print Post

I will put this across to PlusNet again now and see what they say.

As a point of clarification, can they still remove the TAG if Sky are still providing a broadband service (i.e. the previous owner forgot to cancel, or only cancelled very recently) or can they only do it if Sky have cancelled the service but have forgotten to remove the Tag?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Jan-11 10:36:08
Print Post

Plusnet initiates the process, the fact you've taken over ownership of phone line means any previous broadband service will be ceasing already.

This is probably why things are slow going, as nothing much will have happened until your current phone firm's details have been trickled through to Openreach who will do the leg work in the end.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to