General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 19-Jan-11 21:48:06
Print Post

Reduced IP profile

[link to this post]

Following a BT line fault repair last October, my BT Home Hub IP profile was set at 6500Kbps and I had download speeds of around 6000Kbps. I've now noticed that my IP profile has been reset to 2500Kbps and I'm achieving download speeds of just over 2000Kbps. Anyone know if this is a logical reduction, or am I being 'had'?
Standard User iwish
(committed) Wed 19-Jan-11 22:22:49
Print Post

Re: Reduced IP profile

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Join the club
Bt set my profile to 4mb but i would only sync at 4322 and that should be a profile of 3.5mb.
so now in there wisdom they have set it to 1mb and raised my snr to 12
now i did have alot of crc errors but having asked about, it should not have been enough for my snr to be raised.
My isp is UKFSN but i deal with Enta direct for problems, and even they are confused.
I have to call them back tomorrow after a full 24 hour line check can be done by them and they will insist it be reset to 6db snr and that will give me back my 4mb ip profile at a sync of 54** something
if they mess about with it again after this then i will be going LLU
Have to say Enta have been a great isp for me over the years and would be sad to go but bt have made an ass of there system
PS some line stats would be good if you can get them from your router like sync speed and crc los and lof

my stats so far
Total Uptimes (From SF counts):
WAN: 0 days, 10:20:37
LAN: 0 days, 10:20:37

CRC: 119
LOS: 0
LOF: 0
ES : 81

Edited by iwish (Wed 19-Jan-11 22:28:21)

Standard User ffox
(member) Wed 19-Jan-11 23:19:10
Print Post

18 months ago REIN, thunderstorms and power cuts reduced my profile from 4,500 to 2,500. There was never a long enough stable period for it to recover. I switched to LLU.

The REIN occurs 2+ times a week, and is bad enough to cause loss of sync for everybody in my street. Of the 7 neighbours, the 5 who are DLM'd get about 2.5M. (Three are with Sky, 2 with BT.) I get more than 5M and so does the chap with TalkTalk LLU.

Xilo C&W LLU, Netgear DG834 PN, St Ives Cambs

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Jan-11 02:11:44
Print Post

What is the sync speed on the Home Hub now? If around 3000Kbps then restart the home hub, and if better afterwards the IP profile will catch up in a few days

The IP profile is never set at a set figure, it wanders around according to a known formula

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User iwish
(committed) Thu 20-Jan-11 02:33:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The IP profile is never set at a set figure, it wanders around according to a known formula
please explain how it works with me then
same sync but moved from 4mb at a sync profile of 3.5mb to 1mb with same sync for 3.5mb profile
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 20-Jan-11 08:34:30
Print Post

[re: iwish] [link to this post]

it will have changed in response to a reported sync event, even if that report was transient or an error.

BT don't "set" the IP profile in the sense of turning a dial, entering a number or clicking an option on a screen.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 20-Jan-11 19:15:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Mr Saffron, thanks for the advice, I'm a bit of an internet numpty! The DSL connection rate is 7345Kbps, if that's the same thing. Spoke to BT an hour ago, and they agreed there was a problem and would get onto it. Just retested and IP profile is now 6500Kbps, against 2500Kbps an hour ago! Download speed is now 5847Kbps, against 2394Kbps an hour ago! Credit to BT? If only everything in life was so simple!
  Print Thread

Jump to