General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bignomis
(newbie) Thu 20-Jan-11 20:00:59
Print Post

server upload speed

[link to this post]

Hi

I and a couple of friends who have recently installed NAS servers on our home computers have been having a discussion about upload speeds.. We all have broadband accounts with BT and have DSL connection rates of 2400 kbps down-stream and 448kbps up-stream.

My friends claim that if they remotely access their servers from a separate geographical location that they can view/obtain information from their server at upload speed.

Because I lack the technical knowledge I am unable to refute their argument however simple logic says to me that if you are accessing your server from a different geographical location then for you to obtain information from the server this must be uploaded and therefore even though you are downloading at the remote location your server is uploading and therefore the download speed is governed by the broadband upload speed at the server.

One friend mentioned that the connection to the server from a different geographic location made it a vpn connection and that this somehow enabled it to provide downstream speeds in both directions - I find this illogical.
Standard User Zadeks
(regular) Thu 20-Jan-11 20:15:26
Print Post

Re: server upload speed

[re: bignomis] [link to this post]

The remote "server" can only download as fast as the NAS can upload (probably at 448Kb/s).

A VPN won't make any difference.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 20-Jan-11 20:18:30
Print Post

if they remotely access their servers from a separate geographical location that they can view/obtain information from their server at upload speed.

makes sense. Is that what you meant to say ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Jan-11 23:50:40
Print Post

So, where's the contradiction?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User Cobra001
(member) Fri 21-Jan-11 00:11:00
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

that what i was going to say lol
Standard User mattewan
(learned) Fri 21-Jan-11 00:37:32
Print Post

Their connections would be uploading, if downloading content from their servers from another location. Like already stated, a VPN wont make any difference. It may add compression, but the line is still physically uploading at its max speed of 448k/sec

Print Thread

Jump to