General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rob54
(member) Thu 20-Jan-11 23:41:22
Print Post

Firewalls

[link to this post]

A day or two a go I started the PC and the Avast Free AntiVirus 5.0 indicated a program version update was available. So I let it update and it prompted a restart. A few minutes after restart, Comodo also prompted an update, which I let happen. It prompted a restart which I opted to delay. Later I noticed the Comodo icon in the system tray was absent so I started it manually.

Today, I started the PC which started fine and used it a while, before shutting down to go out. On my return I powered up, and the PC went as far as the Desktop pic and icons and in the system tray just a few minor icons, not Avast or Comodo. I could do nothing with it. After several restarts it did continue after an exceedingly long delay to start Avast and Comodo, and it was useable again. Later I restarted to see if it would go. Same thing.

By now I was suspecting Comodo or Avast, as both of these had updated. On uninstalling Comodo, that process involving a timely restart. I switched the Windows Firewall back on.

So

a) does anyone know of any conflicts between latest updates of these two programs,

b)Opine whether the Windows firewall is adequate with a Type 1 o2 router (no idea how to configure it anyway),

c) Recommend an alternative free firewall

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------
o2 Broadband Standard, Type 1 o2 router, Avast Free AntiVirus 5.0, [s]Comodo firewall 5.0[/s]
Standard User 4M2
(member) Fri 21-Jan-11 00:26:40
Print Post

Re: Firewalls

[re: rob54] [link to this post]

ZoneAlarm is pretty good, never used it with Avast, used to work OK with AVG free though.

Alternatively you could try the full Comodo suite: CIS v5 (free) which I think is really excellent.
Standard User rob54
(member) Fri 21-Jan-11 12:47:16
Print Post

Re: Firewalls

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Oh right - I didn't even realise there was a free Comodo suite. I guess parts of a suite are not going to conflict with each other!
Hmm get a little more feedback first, maybe on the Avast forums. Thanks though - something to consider.

--------------------------------------------------------------
o2 Broadband Standard, Type 1 o2 router, Avast Free AntiVirus 5.0, Comodo firewall 5.0

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to