General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User knighton
(newbie) Fri 21-Jan-11 12:13:13
Print Post

Why do we have to put up with things like this..............

[link to this post]

Apologies for the rant but Virgin Media have just about finished me off today. The VM forum is dead especially for ADSL users like me.

Request MAC code last Thursday (13/01/2011). Get email confirming MAC on its way.

No MAC by today (6 days). Use 'online chat' with VM to try and solve. MAC sent on 13/01/2011 according to them to my VM email. Point out factually incorrect as no MAC email arrived. Online chat person suddenly say 'can't help any more, goodbye'

Ring cancellations to be told that MAC not requested by the donkey I spoke to last Thursday despite email confirmation it had been requested.

I know VM have a bad reutation but simply lying to customers doesn't do much to enhance it does it!!!
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Jan-11 12:33:19
Print Post

Re: Why do we have to put up with things like this..........

[re: knighton] [link to this post]

As you can prove that you requested the MAC code, then contact ofcom, they may just e-mail their md, then they will bend over backwards to give you your mac

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 21-Jan-11 13:04:13
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

OFCOM will just say have you complained to VM and have you used their ADR process, they're an industry regulator not an individual complaint handler.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Jan-11 14:18:32
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I'm aware of what ofcom can and can't do, but the mac process isn't really something that an adr can really help with, as they expect you to wait some 12weeks, ofcom are the ones who are supposed to enforce the rules on mac codes , i for one used ofcom to get some sense out of tiscali who where playing the stalling game in giving me a mac code, the man i spoke to ,said he would e-mail them that day, later that day i had the MD from tiscali on my phone, apologising and saying he knew how useless their system was, and that i someone would ring me the next day and give me the mac code which they did, i'm not saying that they will do this for everyone, as it may well depend on what you say and who you speak to at ofcom, but it worked for me

Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(newbie) Fri 21-Jan-11 15:05:38
Print Post

I would phone Vm, state the time they have to respond and give you MAC code, also inform them you have prove of time scale from your request also mention Ofcom . I would imagin they will give you it straight away, I had similar problem with another Isp. If you feel like it afterwards continue with complaint as they have exceeded the time limit in issuing you with one.

However reasons for refusal are- The ISP is unable to confirm the identity of the account holder by performing standard checks. The broadband service contract has already been terminated. A valid MAC has already been requested and issued by the ISP. The ISP has already submitted a cease request for the broadband service. The underlying broadband network communications provider used by the ISP is unable to generate a MAC. In the UK the underlying broadband network communications provider is generally BT as they own the majority of the telecoms infrastructure.
If the service is provided over an MPF or "fully unbundled" network (where the ISP provides Broadband, Line Rental and Calls together
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 21-Jan-11 15:38:15
Print Post

[re: NilSatisOptimum] [link to this post]

VM'S ADR (Cisas)

are vm's adr people if they won't play ball
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 21-Jan-11 15:48:30
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

yeah, it might work, or the contact centre may just tell you to go back to the company whose job it is to provide it then escalate it with them if they don't.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Jan-11 17:54:08
Print Post

ISPs must have at least 2 ways of sending MACs. Ask VM to send it by one of the ways other then email.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 21-Jan-11 17:56:14)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Jan-11 18:04:30
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
ISPs must have at least 2 ways of sending MACs. Ask VM to send it by one of the ways other then email.
I'm not sure about that. They must have at least two ways of receiving requests for one, but I don't know about delivery.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Jan-11 18:21:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I'm not sure about that. They must have at least two ways of receiving requests for one, but I don't know about delivery.
My reading of OFCOM rules is diametrically opposite to yours:
Under Ofcom regulations, where a consumer or small business (with 10 or fewer employees) wishes to change broadband provider, a MAC must be issued within 5 working days of request. Companies must also offer at least two methods of providing a MAC (by email, phone or post etc).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to