General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 25-Jan-11 10:40:33
Print Post

Mkt 3 exchanges and ISPs

[link to this post]

I understand that Plusnet don't do LLU provision but I see they offer reduced prices on market 3 exchanges. I've looked at some other ISPs websites but don't see mention of reduction in cost if you are on a market 3 exchange.

So, are there any other ISPs who do what Plusnet do and offer reduced prices for their broadband if your exchange is market 3?

I guess most people would go for LLU broadband though since it is available on a market 3 exchange.

Thanks,

William
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Jan-11 10:54:36
Print Post

Re: Mkt 3 exchanges and ISPs

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Reduced price on Market 3 because BT Wholesale offers lower prices at Market 3 exchanges

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 25-Jan-11 10:56:17
Print Post

there aren't many others, if any.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 25-Jan-11 11:27:10
Print Post

I don't know of any.

The only absence that surprises me is BT itself. The others are either LLU there so by definition won't offer low-priced BTW, or smaller players working to very tiny margins, where as long as they can compete against BT they will maximise their prices.

However the option for LLU isn't that obvious, as there can be drawbacks. Most people unfortunately will be unaware of these, hence the usefulness of sites such as this one.

For example TalkTalk is compulsory full LLU. Changing ISP from there is painful for those who understand it, and a nightmare for those who don't and didn't know it was happening. TT also seems to have a widely held bad reputation. Which doesn't fit in with it's continuing growth though crazy. Money, (or high-pressure fibbing as currently being described in the Plusnet forum here), must be talking very loudly.

Similarly Sky if line rental is taken. Sky Calls is fine.

O2 is now not what it was but possibly OK for the majority. However it does seem now to be aimed more at tying into O2 mobile phone users. I get the impression O2 mobiles aren't particularly competitive, especially now they have lost the iPhone monopoly. The current three months free is for everyone. The £5 discount that makes it really competitive for O2 phoners has always been there, but cashbacks of up to £90 are now also O2 mobilers only, not others.

Orange has similar deals involving their mobile service. I don't know the details but imagine without them it isn't particularly cheap.

Which leaves Be and the higher-priced options above against Plusnet M3 pricing. I would imagine it is quite attractive. Be is far from cheap.

So I'm not sure "most" will necessarily go for LLU, if they know enough to be able to think about it rationally.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Jan-11 12:29:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Orange has similar deals involving their mobile service. I don't know the details but imagine without them it isn't particularly cheap.
Home broadband for Orange mobile phone contract customers…
SMPF LLU Orange Home, 18 month contract up to 20 meg unlimited broadband with free unlimited (Under 2 hours duration per call) evenings and weekend land line home phone calls £7.50 per month + £11.50 Orange line rental = £19 per month.smile

Home broadband without Orange mobile phone contract…
SMPF LLU Orange Home, 18 month contract up to 20 meg unlimited broadband with free unlimited (Under 2 hours duration per call) evenings and weekend land line home phone calls £12.50 per month + £11.50 Orange line rental = £24 per month.smile

With (SMPF) Shared Metallic Path Facilities, your telephone is still with BT but you pay Orange for the service. wink smile

http://shop.orange.co.uk/broadband/

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
  Print Thread

Jump to