General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lamer
(newbie) Sat 29-Jan-11 23:26:37
Print Post

cannot find A PROPER ISP

[link to this post]

I cannot seem to find an ISP which can support what I need, well I do have one in one of my houses and offices - BeThere, but they dont cover everything, only big towns. I am moving home now and struggleing to find something useful in the area.
Area is covered by BT and I've got a BT line, but not many ISPs in that area.
Requirements are:

-nice speed, preferrably high outgoing, more than 256 kbps.
-block of 8/16 IPs (paying extra is not a problem)
-ability to turn router in to a bridge mode (no-NAT)
-no download limits (fair usage)
-no stupid restrictions on outgoing mail (like BT has or VirginMedia)

Can someone point me out of where I can find one?
Thank you very much.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 29-Jan-11 23:28:18
Print Post

Re: cannot find A PROPER ISP

[re: lamer] [link to this post]

Which exchange?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Jan-11 00:01:56
Print Post

Do I gather you want a line for business use? Just so we don't suggest a package that doesn't allow it, or isn't suitable for other reasons.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lamer
(newbie) Sun 30-Jan-11 02:42:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It doesn't matter does it - the difference between home and business as long as i am prepared to pay for extras.
No need for support at all (only in case of line fault or something similar).
Don't really care - my home and office both connected "virtually" the way I run business at home and office it is hard to say where is home or office
i just need number of static ips for certain things available from the house.

EXCHANGE is Langton NDLAN Kent South East

Appreciate your time fellas.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Sun 30-Jan-11 03:27:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by lamer:
It doesn't matter does it - the difference between home and business as long as i am prepared to pay for extras.

Not sure about if the broadband package matters, but if you get a domain (.co.uk) with a residential contract, it can't be used for business purposes.

It's none of my business, but 8-16 IPs would probably mean 5-13 useable ones, which would be quite a lot of IPs for a single residential connection to serve if there's reasonable demand on the 'nodes' in such a setup. If you get 8 Meg (6 meg actual speed), that's not much to share around. Upload speeds will be far worse. Just saying. smile

Referring to my onw ISP (Plusnet), here's some info on the hoops you might have to jump through. For a start, you'll have to take a business or SDSL product. More info:

http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/IP_bloc...

16 IP Block /28

* A 16 IP block provides 14 usable IP addresses (1 for the router and 14 for servers, PC, etc.).
* A RIPE form is required and must be attached to the Ticket, this can be created at the Usertools RIPE Form page. An example form is available to show how it is completed.
* The customer must justify why they need a 16 IP block rather than a single IP, 8 block or 4 block.
* A 16 IP block must be authorised by our network services team and entered into the RIPE Map.

Food for thought.

...and from the RIPE form:

Ripe Form Generator
Ripe Form for Multiple IP Addresses
IP Block Requests

IP Blocks may be allocated to customers, free of charge, provided they have an appropriate account type and are prepared to justify their IP usage and that their requirement cannot be met using a single IP with network address translation and port forwarding -Further guidance on this is provided below.

IPs will be alocated on a need only basis, with the smallest IP block possible being assigned based on the customers request and requirements. We do not provide support to customers on configuring their IP address ranges.

There's more on that form about which packages, but I think it's an older form, and refers to older products.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 30-Jan-11 08:58:46
Print Post

all exchanges have 832k upload on Max Premium from BT Wholesale.
Several ISPs will do the IP block - Entanet resellers for example, IDNet, Zen, etc
Use your own router and do what you want with it

Don't understand what you mean about the outgoing mail restriction - please expand.

By "no download limits (fair usage)" do you mean no FUP or what ? Is a GB/month limit above what you use OK. Not sure anyone doesn't have an FUP, though some don't enforce it much.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Jan-11 09:02:44
Print Post

camieabz answers re some possible problems.

Your requirements are, with most ISPs, far more easily met by true business packages. I have no idea why that should be so tongue.

You may have to ring one or all of the following to check details. Several quote uploads of over 1Mbps, but of course you can only get 448 or 832kbps on your exchange and not all such packages provide the 832kbps option.

The first one for instance, you probably know, (but I don't) how many IP addresses the spec means:-

Newnet Office premium;
IDNet Business Premium, perhaps with the "Protected" option;
Zen Office Max;

Then there is AAISP. Their prices as per the website almost certainly will not suit you, but I imagine they have tailored individual business products available on request at realistic cost.

If that sort of "Proper" ISP for serious business use isn't what you were thinking about, then you could look at the Home/SOHO products from the same ones, plus the Home/Office ranges from an Entanet reseller at more consumer-level prices and unlimited off-peak.

See these comparisons.
And this one, removing Be which was there just for rating comparison, and adding AAISP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Jan-11 09:46:53
Print Post

You know your needs better than me but from what you are saying you need I think you'd be far better off leasing a dedicated server machine in a proper data centre which you just control from your home connection. No ADSL has fast enough upload to justify running the number of servers your IP block requirement suggests you intend.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(member) Sun 30-Jan-11 10:15:20
Print Post

try Netplan or Goscomb technologies, these are both business class ISPs; the former doesn't have any download limits nor any fair usage policies smile

[img]http://speedtest.net.uk/result/24233/[/img]
TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 17066 / 1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.2 db down / 12.8db up