General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User steveyruss
(newbie) Mon 31-Jan-11 09:41:57
Print Post

Request for MAC code refused.... advice needed

[link to this post]

Hi, I'm having problems getting my mac from my internet provider. Basically I've honoured my 18 month contract with BT and want to move on because I'm not happy with the service they provide. The broadband is shockingly slow for a 20 MB line.

I've already organised to move over to Sky on the 8th of February. I've rang several times to get my mac code to complete this properly and failed. The first time they put the line down on me after waiting for 15 minutes. The second time I didn't get anywhere apart from getting questioned why I wanted to move. The third the woman told me that she couldn't give me the mac code because I had already organised this move and that I would have to cancel with Sky before they released it. I am naturally very suspicious of doing this and cannot fathom why this woul help!!! Frankly I'm disgusted at BT after being with them for over 2 years and honouring my contract that I should get such a hard time, surely it is my right as a consumer to have choice. Is there anything I can do at all to force my mac code out of them without this hassle? Any advice would be appreciated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 31-Jan-11 09:45:14
Print Post

Re: Request for MAC code refused.... advice needed

[re: steveyruss] [link to this post]

If you are moving to Sky both line rental and broadband it may be a full LLU move which does not require a MAC, thus Sky will have initiated the line rental stuff and explains BT's attitude.

To be frank, you've done things in the wrong order, you should obtain the MAC before joining up with new ISP, or get it the same day.

Is Sky progressing the order, they should not have taken the order for broadband without a MAC if they knew you had broadband already unless they KNEW it was full LLU they were planning to install.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AEP
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 31-Jan-11 09:47:44
Print Post

Ring them again and tell them that unless they provide your MAC immediately you will lodge an official complaint with Ofcom. The ISP has a duty to provide a MAC within 5 days of a request. If that doesn't do the trick then make that official complaint (there's a link on that page in the penultimate paragraph). That's about the best you can do. It worked for me when Pipex tried playing similar games.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 31-Jan-11 09:50:25
Print Post

You say you have organised a move to Sky.

Exactly what service?

If it is Sky Connect, then cancel it anyway as it is no better than BT and you will be tied in again for a year.

If it is a Sky LLU package, have you taken line rental as well? Not just the broadband or broadband with Sky Talk.

If you have gone for Sky LLU Broadband plus Sky Line Rental then don't worry. A MAC is not needed. Which is probably why you are being told what sounds like porkies but is probably true.

In this last case an ADSL Cease order has probably already been placed on the line, as that is what happens with a move to Full LLU. When there is a cease order on the line then a MAC cannot be issued.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User AEP
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 31-Jan-11 09:52:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It might explain the reasoning, but hardly the attitude. If a MAC is not needed why is the OP being told that he needs to cancel the Sky order and being left hanging on the phone for 15 minutes? All they need to do is explain the situation.

And I can't see why there should be a problem in ordering new broadband before you have the MAC. The new supplier should just wait to process the order until the MAC is available; that's what BE did when I changed to them.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 31-Jan-11 09:53:12
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Ring them again and tell them that unless they provide your MAC immediately you will lodge an official complaint with Ofcom. The ISP has a duty to provide a MAC within 5 days of a request.
See MrSaffron's post and mine that I was typing as his and yours were being posted.

In particular if Sky have initiated a move to full LLU, (an ADSL Cease order on Openreach), a MAC cannot be issued.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User AEP
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 31-Jan-11 09:55:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That may indeed be the case. In which case it is something of an indictment of BT's customer support staff that they can't explain this in simple terms to their customer.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 31-Jan-11 10:01:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by AEP:
That may indeed be the case. In which case it is something of an indictment of BT's customer support staff that they can't explain this in simple terms to their customer.
If it is the case, and we are still on an "if" smile, then that level of support probably don't know enough to explain. Or under far too much pressure. The fact would be on the screen - MAC cannot be issued due to another order on the line. It probably doesn't even say Sky, that info will have come from the OP.

I doubt at this level it even says what sort of order it is, though perhaps it does. For BT support to tell the OP that there was a Cease Order on the line would have caused total panic!

I would blame the management and training, not the staff themselves.

Standard User steveyruss
(newbie) Mon 31-Jan-11 10:05:05
Print Post

Thank you for the fast replies.

The move is a full move, as in it is a package that contains line rental and sky TV not just broadband. I was under the impression that a mac code was needed for any sort of move involving broadband, on my apart I admit ignorance, however I imagine most consumers are not aware of such technicalities.

I'm still not happy the way BT treated me on the phone! It seems like there was no reason to be like this if they have no influence on the switch. When she said that I had to cancel my order with Sky it just seemed like a move to postpone the household from moving away after them putting the phone down on me and giving me a hard time! To be fair they did offer decent incentives to stay but it is not enough my broadband often downloads at speeds less than 20 kb/s. I just can't accept another contract from this company! Thanks again for your fast responses. I look forward to BT phoning me for the next 5 years asking me to go back!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 31-Jan-11 10:05:15
Print Post

If the caller was insistant on them requiring a MAC then what was suggested is the way to get one.

The reason for saying getting the MAC first, is precisely because of the confusion caused by some new providers using full LLU.

Without access to the call logs it is hard to say whether some of this is misunderstanding all around, often caused by trying to avoid terms like MPF and SMPF which 99% of the public have no idea about.

Sky the gaining provider is who to talk to now, and ask whether they actually need a MAC to progress the order.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to