General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jerre
(newbie) Mon 31-Jan-11 10:16:38
Print Post

Takinig ADSL Modem on Holiday ... ?

[link to this post]

Newbie question ...
I have rented a holiday cottage in the UK to get away for a week and asked to landlord if the
cottage has broadband.
I have been advised that the cottage has broadband from BT but no ADSL modem.
I also have broadband with BT. If I take my BT modem/router to the cottage and plug it in over there will my broadband work there as at home or is my modem username and password linked to my specific site/telephone line ... ?

Thanks in advance,

Jerre
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 31-Jan-11 14:32:24
Print Post

Re: Takinig ADSL Modem on Holiday ... ?

[re: jerre] [link to this post]

The broadband that you pay for is supplied via telephone line that you rent from bt,
as for will your bb work at a different address short answer no, but if that other address has an active adsl service on it then plugging a router in and configuring it to the isp's settings ect, enable you to have working bb, but it would not be yours it would be the bill payers bb service
Standard User alwall
(member) Mon 31-Jan-11 14:47:35
Print Post

Have used BT Home Hub 2 on other BT Broadband enabled lines, without needing to change from the default username/password

BTBroadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Jan-11 19:12:50
Print Post

If it's both BT Broadband, then yes, it will work.

Standard User alwall
(member) Tue 01-Feb-11 06:12:54
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
The broadband that you pay for is supplied via telephone line that you rent from bt,
as for will your bb work at a different address short answer no, but if that other address has an active adsl service on it then plugging a router in and configuring it to the isp's settings ect, enable you to have working bb, but it would not be yours it would be the bill payers bb service

Incorrect

BTBroadband
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Feb-11 07:40:13
Print Post

[re: alwall] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alwall:
In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Incorrect
Which statement is incorrect?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Feb-11 09:02:39
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In my experience that statement is wrong - Both are apparently BT Internet customers, so unless BT have a radically different set up to other ISPs it should work.

My sister and I are both Enta customers, when my ADSL failed completely (no sync) I called support - who later reported that BT were unable to find a fault (not unusual) and that I should test my router as there will be a charge blah blah blah..etc. I took my router over to sis, plugged it in. and successfully logged on with BOTH user names - in fact when I called back Enta to report that not only did my line not work with 2 known working routers , I was able to log into my account with both routers from another location with an Enta line the tech commented that he could see from the logs that I had briefly logged in.

This was the second time a fault couldn't be found by BT and a visit booked for a fault that miraculously cleared after BT "ran some tests at the exchange". .... although I still cant get the BT speedtester to work on my line.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Feb-11 09:38:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If both lines are with the same ISP, BT Total in this case the modems should mostly work in either location.

Where the statement is correct, is that a modem configured for Zen will not work on a line setup for Demon. This is a function of the Service Selection Barring. Occassionally this is oddly turned off and a line will work for any WBC/IPStream provider if configured appropriately.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 02-Feb-11 01:29:10
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by warweezil:
.... although I still cant get the BT speedtester to work on my line.

Try using your sister's ISP username/password combination on your line/router.

I had a similar issue with the speedtester - it failed to start when using my credentials. I used different credentials and the BT speedtester ran every time.

All accounts were with the same ISP (hint: Heaven 17).
  Print Thread

Jump to